Menu

Spider Bites

AmandaVT

Anyone have experience with spider bites? I managed to get two of them on my legs this weekend while gardening. I've had two different Dr. appts so far, shots in my bum (ow), multiple antihistamines, and cortisone. I don't know what kind of spider got me, but it must have been a little one because I didn't notice it. Mostly just posting to whine a bit. 

You went to the doc for the spider bites? I've had spider bites before and they swell a little in a circle-shaped bump with a bite mark in the middle. And they itch like crazy. I react badly to bug  and spider bites but have never had to go to a doctor to get treatment.

:grouphug:

• Like 1

You went to the doc for the spider bites? I've had spider bites before and they swell a little in a circle-shaped bump with a bite mark in the middle. And they itch like crazy. I react badly to bug  and spider bites but have never had to go to a doctor to get treatment.

:grouphug:

I wasn't planning on going to the Dr. I went to the pharmacy to get some benedryl cream or something to help with the itchiness. My pharmacist was there and I asked him for a recommendation for a good cream. He took one look at my legs and told me that I was beyond cream and needed a Dr. By the time I got to the walk in clinic, my throat was starting to feel weird and I was shaky and lightheaded. It was a most unpleasant reaction. The bites have spread to 8" diameter raised, red, hard, itchy and painful blobs on my legs. :-( 

• Like 1

I wasn't planning on going to the Dr. I went to the pharmacy to get some benedryl cream or something to help with the itchiness. My pharmacist was there and I asked him for a recommendation for a good cream. He took one look at my legs and told me that I was beyond cream and needed a Dr. By the time I got to the walk in clinic, my throat was starting to feel weird and I was shaky and lightheaded. It was a most unpleasant reaction. The bites have spread to 8" diameter raised, red, hard, itchy and painful blobs on my legs. :-( 

Ok, that is not a spider bite...that is a SPIDER BITE!!  Wow, I didn't know they could do that.  Hope you feel better soon!

• Like 2

Can't figure out how to quote from the tapatalk app. Jean, the dr didn't think it was a recluse. She wants me to keep a close eye on the bites though. I feel like (hope?) I would have noticed a brown recluse biting me twice though? I thought it was a reaction to a black fly or deer fly bite until the dr told me that it looked like spider to her. I hate spiders on a good day too! Grr. In bed now with an ice pack between my knees to help w the itchiness. Thanks for the kind thoughts!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

:eek:  Yikes--that's a really really really bad reaction! Yeah, good thing you saw a doc. Sounds like an allergic reaction? My bites get to maybe one inch. The bad part is the after--I can itch for weeks, even after the bite is visibly gone. But that's it, no lightheadedness, no shakes, no throat issues. That's scary. Hope you get better soon! :grouphug:

• Like 1

I thought it was a reaction to a black fly or deer fly bite until the dr told me that it looked like spider to her.

About this. I do react worse to fly bites but I always feel them when they happen. I don't always feel spider bites--the sneaky buggers. :glare:

• Like 1

Yellow sac spiders are common and can produce a bad bite reaction. Yours sounds more like an allergic reaction, though.

My second guess would be a black widow. Perhaps a small one that you didn't see?

http://www.pestid.msu.edu/insects-and-arthropods/yellow-sac-spiders/

http://www.ehow.com/list_6029894_poisonous-spiders-vermont.html

Are you actually in Vermont? I'd suggest scorpion but I don't think you have them up there. We have small scorpions in FL that you might not actually see if you were rustling around in the garden, my pest control guy told me they like bark mulch and their sting is like that if a wasp. But again, doesn't seem like you're in the right region for that.

I do think some people are generally more reactive to bug bites than others. Spider bites usually just cause me to itch a bit, calms with cortisone cream, a little redness for a few hours.

Hope it settles down soon for you. I don't like no-see-ums!

• Like 1

My kid is allergic to spider bites.  It's bad enough when she gets them at home, but she mostly gets bitten when we are vacationing in developing countries.  She had one that was so ugly (after some days) I would have had a doctor look at it, but we were in a tropical country and I wasn't sure it was safe to go to the clinic.  Ugh.  Bites have ruined what should have been good memories for her.

Once I took my kid to the local doc for a spider bite.  It was next to her eye, and the swelling looked like she'd been punched.  I wanted the medical record to prove I wasn't abusing my kid.  :P  Seriously.  They did prescribe some allergy med, which didn't do much.

Hmm. So this isn't true? Most spider bites aren't

Is your skin reaction improving? If not, consider going back to dr first thing tomorrow because I'd be worried it's a deep skin infection & might need iv antibiotics.

I'm guessing her painful injections were rocephin injections to counter a bacterial infection. I had several of those combatting a case of cellulitis, Ow is right - I cried after each one (as a grown adult, yeah).

Do infections itch? I don't remember itchiness with the cellulitis.

• Like 1

Thanks everyone - the new medicines are helping. The swelling and redness are noticeably better today and the area has shrunk too. And I'm not feeling the urge to constantly scratch - it's much milder. Relief! 

I don't know how to multiquote - I'll try to get to everyone!

Seasider: I am in Vermont and we thankfully don't have scorpions here! I am 99% sure it wasn't yellowjackets or hornets because I've gotten stung in the past and definitely noticed it when it happened. I pretty much always notice them buzzing around and we definitely have them at our house. DH has been spraying the nests and I've seen much less of them since last month. I would have felt it when they stung me, I'm almost positive. 

Zoobie: No to the epi pen - they gave me a shot of benedryl and a shot of prednisone. One of both of those made the shakiness and throat issues go away within 20 min thankfully. 

JeanInNewcastle: Yes, my DH has been great and I have a feeling he's barely slept the past couple nights because he keeps checking on me. 

I was going to try to attach a picture, but I cant' figure out how. Do I need photobucket or something similar to attach?

• Like 1

When I attach a picture here I have to edit it in Paint, reducing it to about 1/4 its original size to get it down to the right number of kb. But using that technique I've been able to attach pictures directly. Be sure to go to the More Reply Options in the lower right corner of the Reply box and use Attach Files that will pop up at the bottom right.

I'm glad to hear you're feeling better.