Menu

Recommend your wall maps! (Especially if they are hanging in a living space)

My favourite is the Peter's Projection World Map, but I should disclose a nostalgia related bias. ;) We had one up in the kitchen when I was a kid, and that map brought up so many amazing conversations as we compared its proportions to those of the Mercator and other maps.

I think it's a good idea to be exposed to different representations of the surface of the Earth, so I don't think you need to pick just one world map.

I don't know anything about maps of the US, sorry.

• Like 3

We have big wall ones, but they are hung in our laundry room one above the other. We walk in there to look at them. I do not let our homeschool flow into our living space other than bookshelves and storage units.

In another house we had an office which we used for school stuff to be stored/ displayed.

• Like 1

I will chime in with a post about what NOT to get, if you want something that looks nice in a living space: a laminated map (no matter how beautifully it's printed) that is attached flat to the wall. Yuck. Maybe you already know that.

Anyway, we wanted a map for similar reasons to yours, and here's the process we just went through:

We decided we wanted lamination for flexibility of use and durability, so we got the enlarged, laminated world map with bright colors by National Geographic, which I think is a gorgeous map (I love the colors, and they go with our decor) and is perfectly functional for what we wanted. They also have it in regular size. The enlarged one is HUGE. http://shop.nationalgeographic.com/ngs/product/maps/wall-maps/world-maps/world-political-map--bright-colored---enlarged-and-laminated I bought it on Amazon for less than $50, btw.

We had intended to put it on the wall in our breakfast/dining room, where we spend a lot of time as a family, and where we do most of our book work for school. We put it up to try it out, but with the lamination, and it being attached flat to the wall, it just didn't have the aesthetic quality that I felt worthy of such a prominent spot in our home. I doubt the non-laminated one would have been much better. Boo.

If money were no object, we'd consider springing for a mounted one, but $250-300 is just too much for us to pay for a map. We'll have to use our globe at the table instead and refer to the large hallway map at other times.

• Like 1

What I've wanted to do for a while now is have a large world map mounted behind glass. Then we could use dry erase markers on the glass to mark places we've been or places we're talking about. We're lacking the wall space, but maybe I'll be able to find the space in the next house when we move this summer.

Following along to see any recommendations for the map itself. There's no Costco near us.

• Like 1

What I've wanted to do for a while now is have a large world map mounted behind glass. Then we could use dry erase markers on the glass to mark places we've been or places we're talking about. We're lacking the wall space, but maybe I'll be able to find the space in the next house when we move this summer.

Following along to see any recommendations for the map itself. There's no Costco near us.

DH and I were thinking about this exact thing. But we figured that a piece of glass custom-cut to the size of a large world map, plus a decent custom-size frame (which I would consider to be essential, aesthetically), would likely be pretty heavy and probably expensive as well, so we didn't bother looking into it. But if someone else figures out an attractive and not-too-pricey way of doing this, please post!!

We have this one: http://shop.nationalgeographic.com/ngs/product/maps/wall-maps/world-maps/world-political-map--earth-toned---enlarged-and-laminated

It is very large.  We mounted it to plywood so it would stay flat on the wall.  I have thought about adding trim like a frame around it but we probably won't get around to it.  Anyways, it is on sale and I love the colours, it looks nice in my home.

• Like 1

I will chime in with a post about what NOT to get, if you want something that looks nice in a living space: a laminated map (no matter how beautifully it's printed) that is attached flat to the wall. Yuck. Maybe you already know that.

Anyway, we wanted a map for similar reasons to yours, and here's the process we just went through:

We decided we wanted lamination for flexibility of use and durability, so we got the enlarged, laminated world map with bright colors by National Geographic, which I think is a gorgeous map (I love the colors, and they go with our decor) and is perfectly functional for what we wanted. They also have it in regular size. The enlarged one is HUGE. http://shop.nationalgeographic.com/ngs/product/maps/wall-maps/world-maps/world-political-map--bright-colored---enlarged-and-laminated I bought it on Amazon for less than $50, btw.

We had intended to put it on the wall in our breakfast/dining room, where we spend a lot of time as a family, and where we do most of our book work for school. We put it up to try it out, but with the lamination, and it being attached flat to the wall, it just didn't have the aesthetic quality that I felt worthy of such a prominent spot in our home. I doubt the non-laminated one would have been much better. Boo.

If money were no object, we'd consider springing for a mounted one, but $250-300 is just too much for us to pay for a map. We'll have to use our globe at the table instead and refer to the large hallway map at other times.

I love this one!  Thank you for posting!

I finally treated myself to school-style pull-down roller maps. I love them!  

I think it's a love/hate thing -- some people come to our house and think it's the coolest thing ever, some (MIL?) think "what on earth were you thinking?"

Mine are around 6' wide -- on the one roller, there's a world and a US map. Since I couldn't afford such a thing new, mine are older maps which, you know, makes them kind of retro. And combines history with geography -- "back when I was a kid, there was no South Sudan..."

I hang more school-ishy things (my MIL might argue that it'd be hard to get more school-ish than school-style pull-down roller maps, but I digress) like a white board and our list of prepositions and people we're praying for behind the maps.

• Like 1

• 7 months later...
Guest baibush

Try shopping at Raven Maps (? ravenmaps.com ?). Beautiful maps in a range of prices and qualities. Simple state maps, through various world and specialty maps and sizes, up to true art quality. I love these things. The staff is very helpful. I have been one of those obsessive and picky customers.

We got this map, which is poster sized. We put it in an inexpensive poster frame and it looks nice. It's got plastic over it instead glass in the frame, but I could still use wet erase markers on it if I wanted too. My walls are cream colored so it looks nice in my livingroom.

http://shop.nationalgeographic.com/ngs//browse/productDetail.jsp?productId=1020374

We have this world map hanging in our dining area:

http://amzn.to/1Kc1UYB

I LOVE this map because it's colorful and includes a lot of interesting things to look at. My son spends a lot of time looking and it and has learned so much just having it there.

We also have this US map hanging in my son's room on his closet door. I like this map because he can draw on it - he likes to draw lines from where we are to all the places he wants to go and to places where we have family.

http://amzn.to/1SLm9z3

Edited by sarahjokim
  • Like 1

I bought a National Geographic world map from Rainbow Resource. Then, we bought a slightly larger black canvas from Hobby Lobby. Using the 40% off code made it very inexpensive. DH glued the map to the canvas and it looks great! The black canvas border (about an inch or two around) just makes it look so nice. :)

• Like 1

I bought these from Rainbow Resources. They are big enough to see details & yet small enough that they don't take over the entire room.

The kids actually take time to look at them.

We have those two maps as well, and I put them in inexpensive poster frames. They look pretty decent, especially against the blue wall in our schoolroom. They're a good size for detail without being too huge. My kids LOVE looking at the maps!