Menu

What is this called?

Well, it's not getting into long term memory. So I would google deficient long term memory or deficit in long term memory. If I recall, though, generally this is because the information isn't being truly learned in the first place. It's not actually being put into memory/long term memory to recall. In other words, there is likely an encoding issue.

This may not be a learning disability, though it could be.

Though he could suffer from a condition called; 'Deep Thinker'?

When we listen to or read information, a summary is formed in our memory.

But this information isn't simply added to memory?

Real understanding occurs, when this new information is integrated into prior knowledge and understanding.

Where it can take a day or two to integrate this new information and shape a new understanding.

What is more important, is the quality of the explanation that he gives a day or two later?

If it reflects an understanding, rather than simply knowing what he read or listened to?

But it takes time to understand.

So that the problem could be, that he is a type of person that wants to understand?

Not simply to know?

• Like 1

Not disagreeing with the other explanations, but here is another possibility.

An extreme visual thinker might need time to put words to pictures forming in the brain. There are two extremes, with most people being in the middle. One extreme thinks only in pictures (except with great effort), and the other extreme struggles to think in pictures at all (except with great effort). I've heard people who have pictures only struggle to verbalize what they understand. 

Along with what kbutton said, I am an extreme non-visual thinker.  I see words.  As I speak I see words.  When I emphasize something or I hear someone else talking that is emphasizing something, I actually see their words in my head in italics, usually bolded.  I do so much better if I can see something in print.  Those words have meaning to me and I can articulate ideas with those words.  

DD is a very visual thinker.  She honestly seems to see things mainly in pictures.  She has a hard time articulating something she has read or listened to.  I suspect that partly it is because she has trouble taking all those written or spoken words and turning them into pictures for her to process.  Then she has to re-translate those pictures into words to share what she has learned.  It is inefficient and cumbersome.  

• Like 2