Menu

Do you have local universities?

Wheres Toto

I've been thinking about going back to school for my MBA.  While I'll probably do an online program (my two undergrad degrees are from Thomas Edison), I have a lot of choices for universities within a fairly easy commute.    

I've seen a few posts about people moving to be near universities and it got me wondering how many people live too far away from ANY college or university to commute.

I live within 15 miles of:

4 private universities

3 public universities

2 or 3 (maybe more) community colleges

Of course, around here how long it actually takes to get anywhere depends a lot on traffic and direction but most of these can be reached in 30-45 minutes during most times of the day.  Within an hour commute without traffic opens up a ton more.

• Like 1

We're a bit out in the country.  However, I still live within an hour (or hour fifteen minutes) of two very large state universities (and an hour and a half from a third major university - private).  I live within 30 minutes of a couple of community colleges.  There is only one of the universities I would consider within commuting distance from my house.  The others would be a stretch.  That one is the one I hope my (now only 6 year old) kids pick!

I'm 30 minutes (about 40 miles) from my university. In our small town there is an extension of a two year college, they only have night classes.I believe it's mostly adults returning to school.  An hour away is a traditional community college. 

So no, not a lot of selection. The university is the most common option for kids that want to stay "local."

I'm same as you. Tons of choices. I live near one major university. Another - my alma mater -  is just past your margin, at 28 km from my house. People easily commute that distance here & in fact dh went there from his parent's house, which was close to where we live now.

We also have an extensive college & smaller university network (most of the colleges offer some 4 year degrees & some became universities) & you can transfer back & forth between the various institutions.

Spoiled for choice ;)

Yes, lots of outstanding choices within an hour's drive.  Overwhelming, in fact.  Mine are staying local for that and other reasons. 

When and where I grew up, there was a bare handful of poor-quality community college classes.  They were not even a full branch of the college they were under.

Later when I returned to that area, they had grown into a solid branch of the largest state school with televised classes from the main branch in addition to face-to-face classes at all levels.  That's how I did most of my graduate work, although for some of it I had to commute two hours each way.  Thankfully I friends to carpool with.

Let's see, I did a search for nearby colleges and universities:

7 within 5 miles.

29 within 10.2 miles.  (I included the .2 because there are 2 well-known universities at 10.1 and 10.2 miles.)

A few of these are "technical school" type colleges.  Also I included campuses that are not the "main campus" of the given school, if the main campus is outside of the 10 mile range.

The above figures do not include multiple campuses of the same college.

We are within 10.2 miles of at least 2 state universities (main campuses), 2 community colleges (main and other campuses), and at least 3 large, well-known private universities (main campuses).

We've had young people come and board with us so they could attend school.

Now I live in an area with several high-quality colleges and universities within commuting distance. But I used to live on an Army base where it was a 45 minute drive to the closest community college and 2.5 hours to the closest 4 year university.

We have a really good community college with multiple campuses driving distance. Ds is taking class at one of the further locations for summer school right now.

We have a good state university which is 25 minutes in optimal traffic (never count on optimal traffic here, so plan for 40 minutes and be happy with 35).

We have several private schools, most nationally well known, within 30-60 minute commute. Those schools are really off our radar for DE or regular attendance. Tuition alone would is more than double tuition room and board at most of out state schools. Two of those private schools may be a consideration for dd for graduate school.

I can walk to the edge of the campus of the University of Our State in 10 minutes :D

We have two community colleges (2 different states) within a short drive. We have a college 20 minutes away and a small university about 30 minutes away (traffic).

We have:

• a campus of the state university system within 30 miles.
  • a fairly well-known private, for-profit art/music/film school within 10 miles.
  • four private colleges of decent size and reputation within 10 - 30 miles.
  • two "major" campuses and a few satellite centers of one community college within 20 - 30 miles.
  • another community/state college slightly farther away (about 40 miles).
  • a new public polytechnic university about 40 miles south.
  • another four or five community/state colleges within 50 miles in various directions.
  • at least four more major state university campuses within 100 miles.
  • another 15 or more private and Christian colleges within 100 miles.

I'm not counting the large number of storefront technical "colleges" offering career training and certificate programs.

I didn't count any of the for-profit or technical schools in the area.  I know there are tons of those in the next town over.

I'm about 30 miles from NYC so that also opens up a whole lot, which is why I set my border at 15 miles. :D

It's interesting how different it is around the country.

We have many. Twenty minutes gets you to two good private colleges. Forty-five gets you to a third and fourth, and there are probably others within forty-five minutes to an hour. Within an hour, there are, I think, three branches of the state university, and there are multiple campuses of the local community college within easy commuting distance. And, we are within commuting distance of Dickinson Law School (or whatever it is now; I just read that something changed) and the med school at Hershey (wouldn't want to do that one every day, though, not in rush hour traffic, but it could be done).

I think the motto of south central PA is "pretty much everything is available in forty-five minutes to an hour." LOL!

Also, you could be at the main branch of the state university within two hours. Too far for a daily commute, sure, but you could make a long day a couple of days a week or something if need be.

SJSU -10 miles
UCB - 43 miles
UCSC - 40 miles
Stanford - 15 miles
SCU - 5 miles

So within 15 miles would be two private universities and one state university.

Carnegie Mellon U Silicon Valley campus - 8 miles postgrad only

ETA:

Nearest community college is 3.4 miles and 12 miles by driving.   I have walked a few times to the 3.4 miles away one in good weather.  The further one has a better transfer rate to state u.

Within 15 miles we can get to Gettysburg, York College of PA, a satellite school of Penn St (Penn St York), or a community college.  Within an hour there's a bit more variety.

When my boys were choosing schools to apply to, we wanted a minimum of 2 - 3 hours away, preferably more.  That's just a preference of wanting them to experience living in a different area than where they grew up.  It also (often) helps with aid packages too, but that was a secondary bonus.

15 miles: one University of California campus, one community college, one private graduate studies only college.

20 miles: two Cal State campuses, two community colleges, one private Catholic university.

25 miles: one Christian private college, two community colleges.

80 miles: two University of California campuses, three private universities, more community colleges.

90 to 100 miles: lots more as we get into a major metropolitan area with many choices.

Commutable would be anything under 25 miles away. The colleges 80 miles away would be longer than an hour commutes, around 1 hour 15 minutes to 1 hour 30 minutes depending on traffic.

I live within spitting distance of UC San Diego, Cal State San Diego, and the University of San Diego. There are several other lesser-known universities within close proximity and several community colleges (not to mention that AOPS is here!) :)

I live five miles from one good university and seventeen miles from two good-in-bits universities, plus about the same distance from three equivalents to community colleges.

However: universities here are set up differently, so it's harder just to do a few courses.  It would work fine for a full course like an MBA, but it wasn't a good option for dual enrollment.

We live 50 minutes from totally crappy state U that I would not give one dime, and 60 minutes from an award winning extension campus of U of MI which is a good school.

We have a CC about 1- minutes away but it is mostly a licensing/certificate institution with only a couple of AA's offered, business and office management. The standards are very low so we've never used them for any courses.

I've been very, very slowly working on my master's getting what I can online.

We're within an hour (traffic notwithstanding) of several state, public, and private universities/colleges, many of which I passed on my daily commute when I was working full time. I would commute to grad school in DC if my kids were older/in school. I will drive/metro in for seminars and panel discussions as interest dictates, and internship/volunteer opportunities.

15 miles from our house gets you almost to the local community college, but there are a lot of people who live here and commute to PHI/BAL/DC/NoVA for work and school.

Under an hour public transportation commute to 6 good universties. Some are a far easier commute (bus to train station, then train) than others. I was amazed when I started counting. Drive times would vary quite a bit to some of them.

In town:  an $$$ LAC and a CC

22 miles:  another small $$$ LAC

45 miles south: a private uni, and an extension of the state flagship (med school only), that city's pretty good CC system, two private nursing schools

45 miles west:  regional state uni

45 miles north:  an extension of the regional uni to the west, an LAC, a private uni, a chiropractic college

90 miles south:  a state uni, an LAC

The state flagship is 2.5 hours away.

Unfortunately, none of the schools within 45 mins confer PhDs with the exception of a PhD in Business/Business Admin.

The nearest unis to confer PhDs are more then 1.5 hours away.

We are within an hour (using public transport) of a community college, a Christian college, and the state flagship university.

I'd forgotten about a Bible College.  Also there is a local campus of a more distant university.

Regards,

Kareni

Boatloads.

Thirty minutes to three different community colleges.

Twenty minutes to one nationally ranked state university.

Thirty minutes to the state flagship - also nationally ranked.

Thirty minutes to a nationally ranked private university.

Twenty minutes - one hour to five small LA colleges that I can remember off the top of my head.

We live within 10 miles of two CC's.

The main campus of the state Uni is within 10 miles. Another campus is about 15 miles the other way.

There are about three private Uni's here.

However traffic here is awful. So a 10-15 mile trip could take 20 min or might take 90 min or there might be a single problem and it could leave you sitting for a couple hours. Topography means that there are few alternate routes and many bottlenecks.

We have to leave 90 min early to make ds's computer team meetings. If we leave later we will be late. The meeting is about 10 miles away.

Large State U 30 min away

Great Community College system with 3 campuses within 30 min.

A quick search shows 10 private U's within 30 min. 

There are 2 more private U's within an hour and either 1 or two (not sure) State U's at that distance as well.

The numbers look good here, but most of those private colleges are very weak educational choices as are the more distant state U's, so there are really only a couple worth considering.

I'm spoiled by good location. I am an easy drive from several beautiful private colleges, 20 minutes from the community college for my county; also driveable to several other counties community colleges. Although the traffic is a force to be reckoned with, I could commute quite easily to University of Maryland, Baltimore County (UMBC). A few other public unis would be commutable, though traffic would be considerable.

Small state college ~ 20 min away

Community college, two state universities, multiple private universities/colleges ~ 1 1/2 hrs+

Not great, but not terrible. Only the small state college is actually feasible as a daily commute. Hoping other homeschoolers blaze the trail so we'll be allowed to DE when the time comes. RIght now, it is a no-go.  :crying:

The closest college to us is a CC which is about an hour away (using public transport it is something like 3 hours away).  Everything else is 1.5-2 hours away.  I really really wish we had thought of this issue when we decided to move here 15 years ago "for the schools."

We have a lot of choices close by.  We have a community college campus about two blocks away next to the high school.  There are three others in the city as well, so together they offer a fair range of the courses offered by the whole provincial system.

We have five universities in the city.  One quite large one with many options for undergraduate work and a number of professional schools (dentistry, medicine, library studies).  A small, very good liberal arts college attached to the bigger school (that is where I went.)  There is a slightly smaller, historically Catholic school which is known for its social sciences and international studies programs and its school of business (my husband studied chemistry there.)  There is another historically Catholic university, originally for women, that is well known for women's studies, programs related to the study of the elderly, and an education program.  A fine arts college.  Also there is a theological school.

All of these are accessible fairly easily by bus.

We have an extension campus of a community college about 10 minutes away, but there are few classes there and the actual community college is a good hour away. OTOH we do have an outstanding small liberal arts college about 15 minutes away and a so-so state university about 45 minutes away. No public transportation available for any of these options though.

I'm amazed at how many people have that many schools that nearby. We're grateful for our small school. The closest school to us with doctoral programs is 6 hours away, over some very hairy passes.

Wow! Yeah, sometimes I don't like that I am living in Maryland (it is expensive, taxes are high, etc.), but I also think about my location sometimes and realized I am spoiled. Colleges, schools, parks, libraries, museums, historical sites, beach on one side (3hr drive), mountains on the other (okay, not "mountains" to you!). I like 4-season climate, we don't have many serious natural disasters, and our seasfood knocks it out of the park. And my garden grows well here. We have only had a water shortage of any magnitude like twice in my adult life.

• Like 1

I don't know miles, I know basic times.

15 minutes form NC State

45 minutes from UNC CH

Duke is somewhere between those.

20 minutes from 2 community colleges.

Downtown Raleigh has a few colleges - Meredith, St Aug's, Peace.

Durham has Central Carolina.

Then an hour from Campbell University.

Those are just the ones I can name.  I've heard that due to all the universities and Research Triangle Park there are more pHD's per capita here than almost anywhere else.

• 2 weeks later...

I live within easy driving to two different community colleges, two different state universities, and one private university.  They are all in town or very close to it. I mostly interact with one of the state universities since that is where dd went and did dual enrollment and they have the most programs for the community-like plays, musical performances, institute for learning for older adults (I am one now since I am over 50).

We live within driving distance of one mediocre state university, one excellent community college, and three acceptable private Christian colleges. I am sure there are some other small options too. A ton more options open up when the search radius is opened to a three hour drive.

This is an interesting question. I have never lived more than 30 min. from at least one college. I grew up outside of a college town (at least 5 institutions, one of which I attended while living at home) . Later on we moved to a small town with a small, well- known liberal arts college. Currently, we live in the suburbs of a metropolitan area with numerous options for higher education, all accessible by bus and subway. It just never occurred to me that I or my kids would go "away" to college. In my mind, that was a frivolous luxury for kids who wanted the exciting experience of living away from home and totally unnecessary. Until this thread, I had never thought about the fact that some people live so far from any college at all that they would have no choice but to live on campus.