Menu

FB - Can we have a vent thread?

KathyBC

It's the little things I so want to address, but it wouldn't be appropriate.

I read today: It's a myth that you need to drink eight glasses of water per day; don't overhydrate, you need only ninety-one ounces of fluids a day.  :001_rolleyes: 

Isn't 8oz. x 8 glasses = 64 oz?

Anyone else have something they would love to get off their chest?

• Like 13

Even that's myth. Different people need more or less fluids depending on their body mass, health condition (I'm nursing and need way more), even the time of year and ambient temperature. Drink to thirst and call it good, yo!

Facebook is certainly a good idiot aggregator! I don't miss that aspect of it at all :)

It's the little things I so want to address, but it wouldn't be appropriate.

I read today: It's a myth that you need to drink eight glasses of water per day; don't overhydrate, you need only ninety-one ounces of fluids a day.  :001_rolleyes: 

Isn't 8oz. x 8 glasses = 64 oz?

I don't really do facebook, but if you drink fluids other than water, then you could easily need fewer than 64 ounces of water to get to a grand total of 91 ounces of fluids. Not sure where 91 ounces came from though.

I saw a picture post with a quote saying that in one school year, children spend 7800 hours at home and only 900 hours at school, so "who's to blame?"

I'm still trying to figure out the math.  Standard school year is 180 days, right?  Standard school day is about 7 hours.  7 x 180 = 1260.

I don't even know where the 7800 hours at home comes from.  7800 hours / 24 hours = 325 days.  So in a standard "school year," a child spends 325 full 24 hour days at home?

I mean, there's only 8760 hours in a full calendar year.  900 hours at school plus 7800 hours at home is 8700 hours.  Apparently summer vacation is only 2 1/2 days long?

Bah.  A teacher posted this, too.

• Like 30

maybe it was one of those things to see if you're really paying attention to the person's feed.  At least it's more clever than the guilty-trip ones like: "only 1% of you will ever share and like"    or "If you're a Christian you'll share this...."

I hate those.

And especially the ones that celebrate daughters or sons or something and say if you have one you love you'll repost. Just ugh.  

• Like 17

People who don't check Snopes before posting an urban legend.

People who post constantly about their meals, workouts, or what they got in this month's Stitch Fix box. If it's something UNUSUAL, I can see posting. I love congratulating my friends when they complete a marathon, triathlon, or one of those crazy obstacle races. But that's a real accomplishment, KWIM?

People who announce that they've pruned their friends list and congratulate those who can see the post. Just make the cuts quietly and be done with it.

• Like 26

Math is hard :)

It's the new math.  If everyone in your group comes to the same answer, you get bonus points.  One can't be making waves in the group by bringing in calculations that don't come to the "right" conclusion. What kind of team member would do that?   :glare:   :lol:

• Like 9

I saw a picture post with a quote saying that in one school year, children spend 7800 hours at home and only 900 hours at school, so "who's to blame?"

I'm still trying to figure out the math.  Standard school year is 180 days, right?  Standard school day is about 7 hours.  7 x 180 = 1260.

I don't even know where the 7800 hours at home comes from.  7800 hours / 24 hours = 325 days.  So in a standard "school year," a child spends 325 full 24 hour days at home?

I mean, there's only 8760 hours in a full calendar year.  900 hours at school plus 7800 hours at home is 8700 hours.  Apparently summer vacation is only 2 1/2 days long?

Oh man, I would have to sit on my hands. Gah!

• Like 1

maybe it was one of those things to see if you're really paying attention to the person's feed. At least it's more clever than the guilty-trip ones like: "only 1% of you will ever share and like" or "If you're a Christian you'll share this...."

I hate those.

I HATE those - especially the ones that promise you that something good will happen to you if you share and something bad will happen if you don't. Are you kidding me with this??

• Like 12

After some thought, the only way it could possibly approach making sense is if they actually mean "in one calendar year."  Even then, their school numbers are way off unless there are a lot of districts out there that are only in school for 128 days.

People who don't check Snopes before posting an urban legend.

Agreed! But do you link to the relevant snopes page or just let it go?

People who announce that they've pruned their friends list and congratulate those who can see the post.

Oh, now that's just... No.

• Like 4

A in-law posted "90% of people marry their 7th-12th grade love.  Since you have read this, you will be told good news tonight. If you don't repost this, your worst week starts now"

Besides the "statistic" which I'm sure is very very inaccurate, I just don't get it.  Reading it gives good news but not reposting gives a bad week?  I guess I'll get good news at the start of a bad week.  Dur.

• Like 8

Lately, FB will helpfully post a link to Snopes right underneath the offending post.

Yes, which is always fun to see. My most hated are the posts claiming that if you just eat ten pounds of raw carrots every day (or something else stupid) you can cure your cancer! 

My dad is 15 months into treatment for stage IV lung cancer. DO NOT EVEN.

• Like 7

Yes, which is always fun to see. My most hated are the posts claiming that if you just eat ten pounds of raw carrots every day (or something else stupid) you can cure your cancer! 

I have a friend who is in month 21 of fighting stage IV lung cancer. She has a lovely husband and two teenage daughters and she knows she's not going to win this battle.  And yet people constantly post to her wall that eating cinnamon or drinking lemon water will cure it.  That really upsets her and she occasionally posts to her support page to please not post such things and people always think she must not mean THEIR suggestions because THEIRS will work. 

Yeah, like eating cinnamon can cure her widespread cancer but her doctors either don't know about it or they refuse to clue her in because they 'don't believe in alternative medicine'. 

• Like 5

I feel fractions are a better approach to this problem. 1/2 of waking hours spent at home during the school week. 5/7 of days are in a school week. About 3/4 of weeks per year are school weeks. In the end you can see that just under 1/3 of a child's waking hours are spent at school. (Approximately--no point in getting the decimal as I'm sure school calendars and sleep schedules vary.)

• Like 2

I am also over people posting pics with signs saying to share this pic to show their class or their daughter how fast things spread on the internet. 

I find myself agreeing with all of the stuff you guys are posting and if my kids and sisters weren't scattered all over, I think I would leave Facebook altogether.  Perhaps it's time for a 'friend' pruning...and I'll be sure to post how lucky the remaining friends are who can see my posts. g

• Like 6

maybe it was one of those things to see if you're really paying attention to the person's feed.  At least it's more clever than the guilty-trip ones like: "only 1% of you will ever share and like"    or "If you're a Christian you'll share this...."

I hate those.

Yep.  I hate those.  I don't like being told what to do, so I won't repost.  :coolgleamA:

Also, I don't think posting something on facebook is "taking a stand".  Let's face it, you are NOT in MLK Jr.'s league because of your social media. 

• Like 11

I feel fractions are a better approach to this problem. 1/2 of waking hours spent at home during the school week. 5/7 of days are in a school week. About 3/4 of weeks per year are school weeks. In the end you can see that just under 1/3 of a child's waking hours are spent at school. (Approximately--no point in getting the decimal as I'm sure school calendars and sleep schedules vary.)

What, you mean they don't spend only 1/8 (900:7800) of their waking hours at school?  :001_rolleyes:

• Like 4

I have seen the- fill balloons with baking soda and vinegar and you don't need helium for your next party- too many times. I finally had to comment and say no. I felt bad because she is a nice acquaintance, but I could not stand the thought of this spreading again without saying something.

Thanks, I had to get that off my chest. :-)

• Like 6

True this.

The cure all ones are the hardest for me to deal with. Really? If you believe essential oils cures Ebola, please, take a gallon jar or two of the stuff to Africa and start handing it out. Post on FB how that works out for ya.

In fairness...I've only seen that a couple of times. The cancer ones are the most prevalent.

• Like 4

I have a friend who is in month 21 of fighting stage IV lung cancer. She has a lovely husband and two teenage daughters and she knows she's not going to win this battle. And yet people constantly post to her wall that eating cinnamon or drinking lemon water will cure it. That really upsets her and she occasionally posts to her support page to please not post such things and people always think she must not mean THEIR suggestions because THEIRS will work.

Yeah, like eating cinnamon can cure her widespread cancer but her doctors either don't know about it or they refuse to clue her in because they 'don't believe in alternative medicine'.

Not on FB, but just this week someone told me IN PERSON that marijuana could help with my son's muscular dystrophy symptoms. Maybe she thought he had MS? I just can't figure out which 'symptom' she thought it would help.

• Like 2

I don't like that some of my friends feel they can post whatever they want, but if I stated my true opinions, they'd unfriend me. One is always posting things about being "authentic," but she won't let anyone else be authentic.

And I don't like all those incredibly stupid quizzes.

But I do like kitten pictures.

(And I do take some of the quizzes!)

• Like 10

My current newsfeed is filled with "time hop" stuff.  Four years ago today, I posted this picture!  One year ago today, I shared this video!  Three years ago today, I created this album!

The thing is, none of that stuff was so eventful that it deserves an anniversary.

I don't know what time hop is, but I don't like it.

Yes, I am a grump.

• Like 12

My current newsfeed is filled with "time hop" stuff.  Four years ago today, I posted this picture!  One year ago today, I shared this video!  Three years ago today, I created this album!

The thing is, none of that stuff was so eventful that it deserves an anniversary.

I don't know what time hop is, but I don't like it.

Yes, I am a grump.

I'm pretty sure FB is creating these automatically because they're showing up from people I *KNOW* wouldn't set out to create them but would publish one that FB suggested.

• Like 2