Menu

first visit to neuropsyche - tips?

Thanks to great advice here (and a cancellation!!), our wait for a neuropsyche eval for my 4.5-year-old is over. We suspect ASD. 

Any tips for this first visit? Sounds like for this first visit I'll be filling out paperwork (told to bring a baby book to help me remember his developmental milestones) while DS will be doing...something? Doctor also said he'll break up the eval into several sessions due to DS's age.

My fear is that DS can "keep it together" pretty well in short doses, even in new environments, if he's not challenged. His ASD-type behavior emerges when he's anxious, excited, or in a group (which gets him anxious or excited). 

To be clear, I don't *want* him to have an ASD dx, but I'd love for him to have an accurate dx. 

So: what typically happens in these types of evals? Any tips for a more successful visit for DS?

Thanks! Anxious mama here.

I'm sure neuropsychs have different ways of doing things, but I met with ours first to discuss what issues we were seeing, why we wanted testing, and to give him the initial basic 4 page questionnaire. Then the first visit with my ds was kinda getting to know you stuff mixed in with testing. I filled out a lot more specific paperwork and questionnaires at home and then returned them at his next testing session (he had 3 sessions for 2.5 hours each). I'd be sure to make note in the paperwork about him having more signs/symptoms when he is anxious or excited. We told ds the tests would help us know what things are hard for him so we could learn new things to help him have an easier time with those difficulties. My ds really enjoyed his testing experience. Hope everything goes well for you and your ds!

• Like 1

You don't have to get everything in on the first visit, probably. If you see things at home only under certain circumstances, document it the best you can. Consider taking a video. 

Sounds very much like our situation. I just explained answers when I had to fill out surveys that didn't quite fit. I would attach a paper with the item number and comments. 

Thanks for checking in!

We had the first visit today. The doctor established a great rapport with my son, and the types of forms I filled out gave me plenty of space to include my own observations/concerns in addition to circling "frequently," "seldom," etc.

My son was able complete a few tasks, and the neuropsych seemed to have little concern that the rest of our visits would be covered by insurance. (This first visit was for an approved referral for treatment. Insurance! What a hassle.) I think the good rapport with my son allowed my son to be more of "himself" than his "public self," if that makes sense. I could hear his characteristic trumpeting noise outside the closed office door :)

I have thought of recording some of his more flag-raising play and activity, and have been keeping a journal for the past two weeks of his more concerning behavior. 

In the end, I should trust that the experts know what to look for, and what types of information to pull from me. I just want the tools to help my little guy be happy. 

• Like 2

Thanks for checking in!

We had the first visit today. The doctor established a great rapport with my son, and the types of forms I filled out gave me plenty of space to include my own observations/concerns in addition to circling "frequently," "seldom," etc.

My son was able complete a few tasks, and the neuropsych seemed to have little concern that the rest of our visits would be covered by insurance. (This first visit was for an approved referral for treatment. Insurance! What a hassle.) I think the good rapport with my son allowed my son to be more of "himself" than his "public self," if that makes sense. I could hear his characteristic trumpeting noise outside the closed office door :)

I have thought of recording some of his more flag-raising play and activity, and have been keeping a journal for the past two weeks of his more concerning behavior. 

In the end, I should trust that the experts know what to look for, and what types of information to pull from me. I just want the tools to help my little guy be happy. 

Sounds like you had a great experience. I'm laughing about the trumpeting sound. My son stims vocally, and there are few noises on planet earth that he can't or doesn't make!

The experts do know what to look for, but it never hurts to give them a marked trail with neon signs, a map, and a compass.  :lol: