Menu

World History, 1750 - 1914, supplemental resources

DS11 is working his way through K12 Human Odyssey, Volume 2. He is currently halfway done with the book.

To supplement his reading, I'm interested in books and movies -- both documentaries and fiction -- dealing with what he'll be learning. 

Topics include, but are not limited to, the following:

• French and Indian War
  • American Revolution
  • French Revolution
  • Napoleon
  • Latin American independence movements
  • Imperial Russia under Peter the Great, Catherine the Great and/or Alexander I
  • Industrial Revolution
  • Slavery
  • Rise of Italy and Germany as independent, unified countries in the 19th Century
  • Civil War in the U.S.
  • 19th Century imperialism in Africa and Asia
  • Rise of organized labor in the early 20th Century
  • Henry Ford
  • Construction of the Panama Canal
  • Wright Brothers

I'd also be interested in books and movies relating the material he recently completed, especially the Spanish conquest of central and South America, the settlement of Jamestown, the Glorious Revolution, and the life of Galileo Galilei. There must be many great books and movies about these fascinating topics.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated!

There are a plethora of books, but we are a major film family. I can definitely suggest some film interpretations. Off the top of my head:

For the Revolutionary War, many aren't suitable for young children, like The Patriot or John Adams series. However, there is a miniseries on George Washington from the 80s that we are showing my son now that I would recommend.

For the French Revolution, I'd suggest The Scarlet Pimpernel and possibly The Three Musketeers There may be a version of Les Miserables suitable for his age as well, but there may be content issues.

For Civil War, there is Gettysburg, Gone with the Wind, Gods and Generals and The Blue and Gray miniseries. Lincoln is a potential depending on content. 11 is a tricky age.

For industrialization/Victorian era, there's is Newsies, Oliver Twist, Nicholas Nickleby, Miss Potter, etc.

For imperialism, I'd suggest Anna and the King if your son can handle some of the content.

For slavery, many are for a more mature audience. He may be old enough to read Uncle Tom's Cabin soon. I'd also recommend the film Amazing Grace, although this highlighted the British slave trade more in the life of William Wilberforce. But it is excellent and only PG. Huckleberry Finn would be a good film or book, and Puddinghead Wilson by Mark Twain would also be good.

For Latin uprising, I'd recommend Zorro. The others I know are rated R.

• Like 1

There are a plethora of books, but we are a major film family. I can definitely suggest some film interpretations. Off the top of my head:

For the Revolutionary War, many aren't suitable for young children, like The Patriot or John Adams series. However, there is a miniseries on George Washington from the 80s that we are showing my son now that I would recommend.

For the French Revolution, I'd suggest The Scarlet Pimpernel and possibly The Three Musketeers There may be a version of Les Miserables suitable for his age as well, but there may be content issues.

For Civil War, there is Gettysburg, Gone with the Wind, Gods and Generals and The Blue and Gray miniseries. Lincoln is a potential depending on content. 11 is a tricky age.

For industrialization/Victorian era, there's is Newsies, Oliver Twist, Nicholas Nickleby, Miss Potter, etc.

For imperialism, I'd suggest Anna and the King if your son can handle some of the content.

For slavery, many are for a more mature audience. He may be old enough to read Uncle Tom's Cabin soon. I'd also recommend the film Amazing Grace, although this highlighted the British slave trade more in the life of William Wilberforce. But it is excellent and only PG. Huckleberry Finn would be a good film or book, and Puddinghead Wilson by Mark Twain would also be good.

For Latin uprising, I'd recommend Zorro. The others I know are rated R.