Menu

Anne of Green Gables editions

For such a classic series, the available choices seem to be extremely weak. What I am looking for ideally is an unabridged, hardcover, illustrated edition in an 8" x 9.5" size. (Think of the Books Of Wonder or Scribner's Classics or Random House Children's Classics.) And I'd like get the whole series (at least eight books) the same way. Is this a hopeless quest?

Random House Children's Classics seems to have done the first book (ill. by Troy Howell), Anne of Avonlea (ill. by Stan Hunter), Rainbow Valley (ill. by Robert McGinnis), and Rilla of Ingleside (also McGinnis).

It appears to me that Grosset & Dunlap did six books in the series: Anne of Green Gables (ill. Jody Lee), Anne of Avonlea (ill. by Clare Seiffert), Anne of the Island (ill. by Mark Graham), Anne of Windy Poplars, Anne of Ingleside, and Anne's House of Dreams, but NOT Rainbow Valley or Rilla of Ingleside. But the first three seem to be the Junior Illustrated Classics series and the others do not.

The Aladdin Classics series from Simon & Schuster has six: Anne of Green Gables, Anne of Avonlea, Anne of the Island, Anne's House of Dreams, Rainbow Valley, Rilla of Ingleside, but NOT Anne of Ingleside or Anne of Windy Poplars. Is this an ongoing project that will be completed? Are they even illustrated? Grrr.

This site has been somewhat helpful, but it misses some too.

http://anneofgreengables.wikia.com/wiki/Gallery:Anne_of_Green_Gables_series

Incidentally, deliver us, Lord, from illustrations by Lauren Child. Would that everyone would just go with something along the lines of Ben F. Stahl (who I learn moved to Prince Edward Island as a result of doing these covers!).

I fear that illustrations are a lost cause if one wants a set. The Canadian Tundra (hardcovers - not the Disney-looking paperbacks) set doesn't appear to be illustrated. And it's smallish.

http://www.leatherboundtreasure.com/books/lucy_maud_montgomery.html

Please tell me there are other reasonable options than the 2002 Easton Press leatherbound set above. Or should I just banish the hobgoblin of foolish consistency and get these as best I can individually since you only read one at a time and it's just the bookshelves that get the benefit of uniform spines....

Thanks for any guidance -

• Like 2