Menu

After LOE C?

BusyMom5

What did you do after LOE C, or after your child was reading well?  2nd grade level, if that matters :)  Did you find an all-in-one LA worked better?  That would make me feel much better to have it all from the same place, so I know I am not missing anything!  For all the different LA components:

Spelling- I'd say average, we did not do a formal spelling program yet (This is a must for next year)

Writing- below average, something I need to work on next year

Reading comprehension- no issues that I can see, but in that area between reading phonic readers and reading chapter books.  Child *could* read chapter books if they chose to, but usually prefers much shorter books.  Does not like phonic readers, though.  We read a lot of NF, or Lego.

Phonics- I do feel like most of phonics has been covered and mastered, we still need to cover advanced phonograms

Vocabulary- I don't know if I need a dedicated vocabulary or not yet

Grammar- no formal grammar taught yet, may know simple parts of speech like nouns, verbs, ect., we have covered basic sentence structure (capitals, periods, ect.), types of sentences, apostrophes, and very basic quotation marks via copywork, as well as adding endings and compound words.  I think we also did synonyms and antonyms, syllables ect., just very basic stuff.  I am not decided either way on a real grammar for 2nd grade or not.

We do read chapter books aloud, and I do some scribing but not a lot. 

Right now I have absolutely NO idea what I need to purchase for next year.   Do I get something to work on each skill, or get something that works all together?  Do I focus on just one or two things, if so, which ones?  I felt like 1st grade we really did focus on learning to read, and are doing very well there.  It makes me nervous to think of putting the focus on something besides reading, but I do think it's time to incorporate some other things into our LA. 

Secular if possible ;)  I'm open to all suggestions, though!