Menu

Exercise Thread ~ May 24 - May 30

Negin

We're back, 4500 miles later. We had some great and wonderful times. Seen many breathtaking sights, I told dh I need to consult the thesaurus because, "Wow, that's beautiful!" loses its meaning after saying it so much. We went to Carlsbad Caverns 750 ft below ground- hiked down using the natural entrance and up to the top of the Sandia Mountains in a tram, 10,400 ft up, in the same day. We were snowed on at the Grand Canyon but came back the next day to soak it all in and hike it a bit. Carried on and stopped at what appeared to be nothing but dessert but with lines of cars and tour buses we had to stop. After walking 3/4 of a mile uphill in the desert the most beautiful sight greets us. We carried on to the mountains of Utah and hit Zion Park hiking to the top of a waterfall and then to Bryce where we hiked to the bottom of the Canyon and back again (with many breaks in between, especially with a 2.5 yo on ones back and dh carrying all our gear in his bag). We visited the ancient civilization at Mesa Verde and explored one of their houses, climbing a 32 ft ladder up the side of a cliff and climbing through tunnels to get there. We were hailed on in Arches NP , in the middle of the desert mind you, but we waited it out and hiked up to Double Arch and climbed to the top. We went up to the double windows, climbing up to the top of one and down around into the other side, where we enjoyed the view by ourselves. We stayed in cabins, teepee, hotel and a tent. We were in the car no less than 40 hrs and had a fabulous times. It went better than I could have hoped and dreamed and we all loved it.

I'm ready to get back in the groove of life, not sure on what my exercise plans will be this week, yoga class is cancelled due to instructor's vacation. I'm hoping to increasing my walking/hiking and slow and steady with yoga, since I've taken a 2 wk break. Mostly want to work on the schedule to get something in place to have time for everything before we start back with school.

• Like 7

Puttered around the garden for most of the day - just planting.  Dug a large hole for a new tree - Crabapple 'Scarlett' - very striking.  Hit 10,000 steps without leaving the garden.  Went for an easy walk to look at a view with Husband and dog.  Tomorrow the shovelling begins after work (after I tell my irascible boss I'm quitting).

• Like 6

Yesterday I push mowed the yard about 1.5 hrs after my glorious nap. I'm totally counting that as my clothes were soaked inside and out with sweat and my face was 3 shades of red from the exertion. We only push mow the areas of the yard too steep to safely mow with a riding mower, so it is all on hills, this is the first time I've ever did this much of it, usually dh does it but I felt energetic enough to take care of it and I did. He just finished it up as he finished with the riding mowing before I finished the rest. I'll take that as a very positive sign of my recovery.

Today probably won't do anything, got to bed late which royally messed up my sleep and we are planning a family fun and lazy day as it is dh's last day off and we want one day where we don't do anything but hang out with each other.

Puttered around the garden for most of the day - just planting.  Dug a large hole for a new tree - Crabapple 'Scarlett' - very striking.  Hit 10,000 steps without leaving the garden.  Went for an  easy walk to look at a view with Husband and dog.  Tomorrow the shovelling begins after work (after I tell my irascible boss I'm quitting).

Good luck!

Well the run didn't happen but I did yoga, a bike ride, badminton and a walk. Family trumped working out. According to my phone it's 6.6 miles but without the bike ride so I'll call it good enough.

Sounds like you were plenty active to me!

• Like 6

Laura, did you get the job for which you interviewed?

Yes!  Thanks for asking.  

Interviewed in the morning; they called and offered me the job that afternoon.  I told my existing boss this morning.  Now to work my socks off to prepare for handover during the next month.

• Like 5

Yes!  Thanks for asking.  

Interviewed in the morning; they called and offered me the job that afternoon.  I told my existing boss this morning.  Now to work my socks off to prepare for handover during the next month.

I don't know. It's cold where you live. Maybe keep your socks on. 

• Like 3

Day off today, just light gardening and yardwork.

For giggles today I tried on my size 8 shorts. One style fit :party: And they didn't get caught up on my thighs when I walked quickly through a grocery store :party: The other style zipped and buttoned, but the pockets aren't flat yet.

I am so excited because I have not been able to wear these shorts since the summer of 2011! I gained 10 lbs when my mom was sick (2008-09) and another 10 lbs after my dad died in the fall of 2011.

I have only lost 7 lbs from my high weight. I am so much more muscular than I was before, thanks to the weight training and all those miles I walk each week. For reference, I am 5'2" when I stand really straight.

I would love to be able to wear those other size 8 shorts (I have 3 different colors) this summer :)

(And I hope that the size 6s will be in style when they fit :lol:)

• Like 8

I did nothing today except sleep in, be cranky with my poor children, and suffer through a day with constant rain. :crying:   I can't wait until music concert season is over and I can have a little more relaxing weekends. Or perhaps my hormones are going bonkers.  :confused1:

• Like 3

Lunchtime walk yesterday then walk through the woods with Husband and dog before bedtime.  12,600 steps. I put off shovelling because I had just had my crystals rearranged (no, it's not New Age, it's a way of treating vertigo) and the consultant wanted me to avoid bending over.  Slept sitting up last night.  

Should be able to do some shovelling today so long as I bend at the knees.

• Like 5

I skipped my Friday workout and felt terrible.  Thought about making it up on Saturday, then skipped that and felt terrible.

Then I spent 3 days leveling the earth and building a 10x16 shed complete with trusses and loft, and I feel like I've done a month's worth of workouts!

Thank goodness I've spent the past 2 months hitting the gym hard (and working up to that for more than a year), or I might not have survived the weekend.  My arms and legs are screaming pretty loud right now, but my back and knees (which had given me trouble for years) are feeling just fine.  So happy to be in decent shape!!!

• Like 7

We're back from our vacation.

Soror, your trip sounds wonderful.  Mesa Verde is one of the most beautiful places.  Just the drive there was incredible. We did the Grand Canyon with a 2 year old on our backs (well, mostly my dh's back).  She loved the trip.  We didn't get snowed on, but it did get very cold as the sun started setting.  We went in November many, many years ago.  We've never made it to Zion park.  That is on our list to do one of these days.  

Our trip was to Gatlinburg, TN.  We did 2 hikes with the kids at the Greenbriar area.  The first hike was 4m round trip, the 2nd hike was 8.  We went up to Ramsey's Cascade, which was a beautiful waterfall.  The last 3/4 of a mile was very strenuous.  My dd17 had a hard time thanks to her asthma (exercise induced) and the fact that she is currently way out of shape.  My ds10 also struggled, but he was so proud of himself later that he found it worth it. :)  

We also did white water rafting for the first time.  It was a blast.  It was Class 2 to 4 rapids and we had an excellent guide.  

We got back home and then my dh and I went for more hiking.  We went to the Big South Fork park.  We tried hiking along a trail that was shared with horses, but it was miserable.  Most of the trail (that we did) was deep sand.  It was hard to hike through.  And then we ran into 2 people on horses.  The woman yelled at us for being on the trail, saying horses can't handle hikers (something about the backpacks).  Her horse was spooked and it took her a bit to get him under control.  We stayed still and tried not to scare it more.  But after that I just wanted off that trail.  We turned off to a farm loop (an old homestead within the park) then drove to another part of the park to go see the Twin Arches.  Such a beautiful park of the park. 

By yesterday I was wiped out from all of the hiking and my lower back has been bothering me.  I tried to go for a run this morning.  It starting raining by a half mile, but I may have kept at it except for my back hurting.  So I ran a mile and plan on yoga later.  

• Like 7

Yesterday got away from me what with rain and everyone including do having the day off. Dd and I took a lovely bike ride in the evening when it cleared up. It improved my mood proving I am an exercise addict I guess. Ran this morning. Trip to the orthodontist and orthopedist today. My mood will need to be improved. : p

• Like 7

spent 3 days camping in the mountains and did a good bit of hiking.  I noticed a huge difference this time (haven't been hiking since I started running or since starting high intensity interval training).  I did not get out of breath no matter how hard the hike was and felt really, really strong as my legs powered through sections of trails where the incline was steep.  We even spent quite a bit of time off-trail collecting firewood and I felt strong and got a ton of leg-burning in during that coupl-a hours.  Hiking is my FAVORITE type of exercise. :)

• Like 8

Welcome home Soror!

Congrats to Laura & Luckymama.

I'm sorry wintermom. I get it.

I'm starting back at the beginning with day 1 of 56. I had over a 2 minute improvement on my last workout! Woot!

Girls only *serious* TMI here. I'm on my period and this was my first workout with my new menstrual cup. I don't wear tampons because they make me cramp. Anyway, I loved it because I felt clean the entire time. I normally feel very unpleasant working out his time of the month.

• Like 6

Did some mulching this evening, but what a difference!  Our ancient lawn tractor (it no longer has blades but is fine for hauling) has been rescued from the scrap heap and was available for moving mulch around.  So all I had to do was shovel!  Much easier.  Much less exercise....

Got a weird cramp in my calf, so didn't walk at bedtime.

Anyway.  Mulched for an hour or so.  Weeded for fifteen minutes.  Only 7,000 steps.  Oh well.

• Like 5

Monday- nothing but 30 minutes of grappling.  Sick kids... being sick in summer time just feels like a cruel joke.

Tuesday- I tried running because my foot (sprained big toe) finally feels good.  I got about a quarter of a mile and realized that it's just too much wear and tear right now.  Went to rec. center and used the elliptical machine like a maniac for 30 minutes.  It doesn't put any pressure on the ball of my foot but felt good to get out of breath.  

I MISS RUNNING.  I'm starting to get paranoid that running will stop being a habit...

Tonight- martial arts class.

• Like 6

Did some mulching this evening, but what a difference!  Our ancient lawn tractor (it no longer has blades but is fine for hauling) has been rescued from the scrap heap and was available for moving mulch around.  So all I had to do was shovel!  Much easier.  Much less exercise....

Got a weird cramp in my calf, so didn't walk at bedtime.

Anyway.  Mulched for an hour or so.  Weeded for fifteen minutes.  Only 7,000 steps.  Oh well.

Stretch and rub that cramp out before you do more vigorous stuff.  My weird calf cramp that I ignored turned into a level 2 tear.  If I had stretched and massaged it and given it rest plus some ice I would not have spent all of last summer in a boot.

Or maybe its nothing:)

• Like 5

Thanks for the welcome guys!

Kim and candmforever- sounds like you guys had some great trips as well.

Yesterday was strictly vegging and hs planning as I hadn't slept but a few hours the night before. Today I worked in the yard weeding and raking, nothing too intense but I got a few hours in. Did some push-ups and a walk as well. Hoping I'm feeling spunky enough in the am to do some yoga and hoping for another walk this evening with dh. 

Slache- fwiw I've used pads exculusively forever but after the last thread here thought I'd try some tampons again to see if they'll work for again, much for that very reason, last I remembered they made me feel crampy but we'll see....

• Like 5

Stretch and rub that cramp out before you do more vigorous stuff.  My weird calf cramp that I ignored turned into a level 2 tear.  If I had stretched and massaged it and given it rest plus some ice I would not have spent all of last summer in a boot.

I had a calf injury last summer, too, and managed to prevent it from becoming something much worse by stretching (before exercise - once warmed-up, and again after exercise). Rolling and massaging helped a lot as well.

There are also two kinds of calf stretches to do in order to work all the muscles in the area: stretch with straight leg, and with bent knee. 

Good luck!

• Like 2

luckymama- I forgot to give a shout out for fitting in smaller pants, that's great!!!

I just finished a 6 wk challenge here and I lost 3.5 lbs and some inches as well. My belly is about .5 inches smaller all the way up and down as are my thighs. My biceps are 1 in bigger :) No change in sizes with that small of a change but my clothes are a bit looser.

I finished yesterday with another very brief walk, 50 squats and a total of 50 pushups, oh and Mutu as well.

Not a great night of sleeping last night but hoping to do some light yoga in a bit, working on school planning atm. I also have some gardening planned, if the rain holds off that is.

• Like 4

Hi everyone. I haven't posted in a long while, but I'm so down on myself right now. I thought about how supportive you were when I was on WTM regularly and decided to ask you all for advice. About two and a half months ago I started working out regularly with a group of moms. We all pitched in to hire a personal trainer (a friend of one of the moms) to come to one of the houses and lead a workout session. We go two days a week, and I usually get together with one of the moms on another day to work out on our own. I feel a lot stronger and more energetic, but my clothes are fitting tighter than ever, and my weight has gone up about 4-5 pounds. It is so frustrating! I know I need to add more days in, but I have a hard time staying consistent on my own. I also know that my diet is going to factor in a lot. I'm eating about the same or healthier than I used to before I started exercising regularly, but I haven't been keeping track. Any thoughts?

Hi everyone. I haven't posted in a long while, but I'm so down on myself right now. I thought about how supportive you were when I was on WTM regularly and decided to ask you all for advice. About two and a half months ago I started working out regularly with a group of moms. We all pitched in to hire a personal trainer (a friend of one of the moms) to come to one of the houses and lead a workout session. We go two days a week, and I usually get together with one of the moms on another day to work out on our own. I feel a lot stronger and more energetic, but my clothes are fitting tighter than ever, and my weight has gone up about 4-5 pounds. It is so frustrating! I know I need to add more days in, but I have a hard time staying consistent on my own. I also know that my diet is going to factor in a lot. I'm eating about the same or healthier than I used to before I started exercising regularly, but I haven't been keeping track. Any thoughts?

You're probably gaining muscle. Have you considered adding cardio to burn more fat? You could take up running or something similar. I would talk to the personal trainer about your concerns. You don't want to overdo it.

• Like 1

You're probably gaining muscle. Have you considered adding cardio to burn more fat? You could take up running or something similar. I would talk to the personal trainer about your concerns. You don't want to overdo it.

Yes, I definitely have more muscle. We work out for about an hour, really like 45 minutes when you factor in setting up everything and chit chat. And the workouts consist of cardio and strength training. My trainer said to do cardio on two of the days we aren't with her, and she knows that I'm working out with the other mom on Fridays. Does that sound like too much? I was about to say that I just want to see some results even if they're tiny, but I guess I have seen an increase in energy and strength. It would be nice to not have to go shopping for summer clothes in a bigger size. I was hoping that I could wear what I have, and if I had to go shopping, that it would be for smaller clothes, lol.

Yes, I definitely have more muscle. We work out for about an hour, really like 45 minutes when you factor in setting up everything and chit chat. And the workouts consist of cardio and strength training. My trainer said to do cardio on two of the days we aren't with her, and she knows that I'm working out with the other mom on Fridays. Does that sound like too much? I was about to say that I just want to see some results even if they're tiny, but I guess I have seen an increase in energy and strength. It would be nice to not have to go shopping for summer clothes in a bigger size. I was hoping that I could wear what I have, and if I had to go shopping, that it would be for smaller clothes, lol.

I totally get it. I gained a ton of weight with P90X. It doesn't sound like too much. My advice is to do the two cardio workouts the trainer suggests. Running would be the cheapest. You could get a Zumba or Tae Bo DVD from Target or Wal*Mart. I like Insanity which you might find in your library.

• Like 2

Extendedforcast, can you start lifting lighter but do more reps? Honestly, many women would kill to put on a couple pounds of muscle. I struggle to put on muscle except in my legs. My quads can really bulk up if I do squats with weights. Even without weights I am cautious about doing a squat heavy rotation. That is why I switched from workouts like P90X and started doing more barre type workouts. It was that or get new pants, because my quads were gonna bust out, lol.

I did an hour of Tracy Anderson. How does she do those workouts and not break a sweat? I am huffing and moaning and she is beaming at me. How is that possible?

• Like 4

Lots of gentle calf stretches (I stretch every time I put the kettle on, so at least four times a day).  Gentle walk with Husband and dog last night.  Just under 10,000 steps

Today: stretches; gentle walk at lunchtime; will probably do some mulching this evening (depending on the weather) and will walk with Husband and dog before bed.

• Like 3