Menu

What would you plan?

I'm really used to being on the other side of the spectrum and looking at special needs resources, so I thought I would ask for advice.  I have a dd, who just turned four this week.  I adopted her (as I did my other daughter) and kind of expected slower development due to her drug/alcohol exposure and micro premie status...but man, she is flying academically.  She took off with language this year.  She just turned 4 this week.  She knows basics-colors, numbers (up to around 100), alphabet/phonics-she's just beginning to read, writing is still tough and she's worked hard on cutting.  She memorizes things so easily-she showed an interest in a state app and has almost finished memorizing the states and capitals in the last few weeks.  She's asking for schoolwork and honestly, if I don't keep her busy-she gets into a lot of trouble!  :-)  I thought I might start her with some basic writing, reading and use some memory work from Classical conversations...but I'm not sure.  She loves the "Little House" picture book series.  We use Signing Time, Rachel and the Treeschoolers, Sid the Science kid and educational dvd's and apps as well.  Any thoughts, tips for keeping her engaged? 

Thanks!

Jennifer

Good for her. I'd give her more advanced phonics through a spelling curriculum, Kumon workbooks or similar, check TWTM, SL, & AO for book suggestions, expose her to a foreign language if you like, and give her some math manipulatives.

• Like 1

I found the Kumon fine motor skill workbooks great prep work for handwriting. RightStart Math was great for my young learner because of its emphasis on manipulatives, games, and mental manipulation of numbers. We did work directly on reading very young. DD was interested and being able to read has provided endless opportunities for her to *not* get into trouble! We did some of the retail Magic School Bus kits at age 3 or 4 and those were a hit, along with the MSB episodes which are on Netflix.

There are several games that a bright four year old can play - Qwirkle, Othello, Uno, Chinese Checkers, Dominoes, No Stress Chess, and Gobblet Gobblers have all worked well here. Solo logic and spatial awareness games are also great - Mighty Mind, Castle Logix, Kanoodle, Hoppers, and Rush Hour Jr, for example.

• Like 1

Reading is great. We used Pathway Readers Learning Through Sounds with my 4yr old. He just finished first grade. Pathway does sight words and phonics so he gets some quick gratification while he's working on the sounds. Now he's sounding out everything.

Science = Magic school bus DVDs

Math = Math Mammoth because 1-6 grades (download) are very cheap. They are easily customized for speed and boredom, too. I wouldn't buy anything expensive.

Song School Latin shouldn't be missed either! My 4yr old loves it. We did the DVD and workbook(with songs CD).

Good luck!