Menu

Healing hypothyroidism naturally

Peaceful Isle

I am really wanting to try to heal my thyroid naturally, or at least help it get a little better. I have been on synthroid for 8 plus years, and would love to someday be off of it, or at least on a lower does. 

I am looking for stories of those who have tried to do this. I know it is not for everyone.. I know many will say it can't be done. All I am looking for is maybe some BTDT stories of how and what they did that helped. 

If you have healed your thyroid naturally, I would love to hear about what you used to do so.  I have been on a journey lately to be healthier. 

I would love to know specific products that either helped, or did not help. :)

healing the endocrine system.

yoga poses that stimulate the thyroid.

diet changes.

what works for one person may or may not work for another. I'm on levothyroxine, but doing yoga and healing my overstimulated endocrine system has made it more effective.

• Like 2

I did.  I think it depends on what is causing you to have a low thyroid.  For me it seemed to be a result of chronic untreated hypoglycemia.  I was reading a book about natural treatment/cures for thyroid (no I cannot remember the book) and the book was discussing how a lady had damaged her metabolism by over dieting.  I had just discovered that I was hypoglycemic and basically I had been slowly starving my body of sugar and lowing my metabolism. 

I did things that regulated my blood sugar and ramped my metabolism.  I ate high protein, high fat and ate frequently often (I even woke myself up in the night to have a glass of whole milk).  I ate about every 2 hours.  I always had food with me-- chopped ham and cheese with carrots and celery, nuts, chocolate milk (whole and light on the syrup),  chicken and broccoli.  I always had a little cooler with me filled with this stuff. 

Before-- If I skipped my meds for a couple of days, my eyes were so dry I couldn't wear contact lenses.  My hair was all dry and scratchy and my nails were rippled and chipped easily. I am sure that I had other symptoms as well, but I can't remember them anymore and some low thyroid symptoms are the the same as low bloodsugar (tiredness, irritability,) so I cannot says what caused what- but they all went away.

After 6 weeks, I didn't use meds again. I have been med free for 5 years. 

*** I want to make this clear that I was poor and I did this to save money, I never tested afterwards and I don't know for certain that I have good thyroid levels, but all my symptoms went away--- along with a lot of other symptoms that were related to low blood sugar  (migraines, abdominal pain, other icky things)

So like I said, how to cure a thyroid depends on WHAT is causing the thyroid to malfunction.  So discover that first, then work on how best to cure it. 

For instance-- your car died, it won't run.  you can get a new battery, your can replace the transmission, but if the car was just out of gas, it still won't go.  Know what the problem is first.

• Like 4

I suggest you be very careful. Very very careful.

However, I have been on levoxyl for years, since I was pregnant with my now sixteen year old. For the first time in all those years this past time I had my blood work done my tsh was significantly lower than ever before. From 3.7 to 2.12.

What did I do? I lost 24 pounds. Losing the weight seems to have improved my thyroid's ability to work. I don't know if losing weight is a good thing for you or not. But it did help my thyroid.

• Like 2

I haven't had any luck in 20+ years, but I have Hashimoto's.

There are some energy points in Donna Eden's books regarding thyroid.  I can't speak to how well they work, though.

Not really healing, but many people find Armor Thyroid works better for them.  For me, I'm a Synthroid girl. ;)

• Like 1

Thank you all for your kind comments.

This is new territory for me, to think about natural healing, and I don't take it lightly. I plan on continuing my meds, but adding in other natural products. Then slowly, but surely getting off the synthroid, if I am able to. I may not be. I may be on synthroid for life, and that's okay, but at least I know I tried, ya know?

I was showing multiple symptoms of hypothyroidism but I found a chiropractor to help me so I never had testing done. It has been an ongoing process for over a year now. I take several supplements including one for nitric oxide. I also use an essential oil blend designed to help with progesterone levels. My energy levels are much better, I am losing weight, and my hair is no longer falling out.

• Like 1

I was showing multiple symptoms of hypothyroidism but I found a chiropractor to help me so I never had testing done. It has been an ongoing process for over a year now. I take several supplements including one for nitric oxide. I also use an essential oil blend designed to help with progesterone levels. My energy levels are much better, I am losing weight, and my hair is no longer falling out.

I have actually given in to the oils craze and ordered some. You never know! My dh almost lost it when he saw the price, lol

My mom has Hashimotos, she is very careful with her diet. I think eating only sprouted grains made a big difference for her.

I have no idea why!

Maybe it was because she wasn't eating the regular bread made of bleached flour?

I read that floride also damages the thyroid, along with non stick pans, and regular bleached flour. Who knows. I'm at the point that I will try just about anything, within reason, to feel better, stop losing my hair, and get my life back. :(

A friend with hypothyroidism decided to try dietary changes for a few months before starting meds.  It was successful.  I don't know what all the foods were that were supposed to be a problem (maybe you could find out from Google), but I know my friend had to avoid peanut butter and broccoli.  Diet change might not be enough to get you off meds, but maybe it would help you feel better. 

• Like 1

Have you considered switching to a natural thyroid medication such as Armour? It might make you feel better while you are taking the medication. However, I know that some doctors won't prescribe it. But some people say that it does a better job of treating their symptoms than the synthetic medication.

• Like 2

With your continued symptoms it sounds as if you aren't properly treated as it is, like you need more meds (as whatever level your dr. is trying to keep you at isn't optimal OR you need to try more natural meds and a T3/T4 combo). I would echo the recommendation of Stop the Thyroid Madness but they don't advocate ceasing medication, rather the opposite but not synthetics. Read up on there and then get your tests results so you can look yourself. If you dr continues to ignore your repeated appeals about your symptoms, you need someone else, hair falling out isn't normal and if you're properly medicated you should feel good unless of course you aren't at a good level for you OR you have other issues that need addressing(it seems so often that it is not just one thing but multiple things). 

I have to add to the chorus of proceed with caution in going the "natural" route. I have crunchy mama cred. I've ate a natural whole foods diet since before my oldest was born, first Weston Price and then about 10 years ago moved onto grain free and SCD diet and then Paleo. I've avoided dr's and traditional medication and taken all manner of supplements. I live an active life and have maintained a normal small weight. Yet, when I became pregnant with my last I suddenly felt absolutely wretched. Finally when she was 1.5 I was diagnosed with Hashimotos. None of my healthy natural living prevented it, there is a strong genetic component and the majority of people with hypothyroidism have Hashimotos. Hashimotos means your body is killing off your thyroid. Depending on how much damage your body has done that function may or may not be recovered. 

Now my stupid story. I went on the auto-immune paleo protocol as soon as I was diagnosed as I had read that it could help with, well so far it hasn't done anything to my numbers to be honest, my antibody numbers are still the same, last it was checked. Now some say they experience a reduction in antibodies but others caution that they haven't seen any effect. Come Jan I was having some heart palps and *thought* my thyroid was too low so I foolishly decided to go off my meds. Stupid. Stupid. Stupid. I did great at first, fabulous, felt wonderful and then I didn't. Then I felt like I was going to die and I remember wondering one time if I would wake up, my heart felt like it was going to stop. I would fall asleep just sitting there. I finally called the dr and demanded a blood test and my TSH was a 39 (mind you the *normal* although arguably too high range is .5- 5). My t3 and t4 numbers were out of range as well. My already low blood pressure was going lower, it was horrible.

Please find a more naturally minded dr on this path, one that will monitor you and make sure that you stay healthy!!!

I see a functional medicine dr, although not sure how long I'll continue with him, but I take Naturthroid and Cytomel. When diagnosed I was also very low on several vitamin levels, so we worked on gut healing through the diet and supplements, specifically glutamine. Now my levels are normal (or were last I checked). One thing to check is iron as without adequate iron in the blood you body cannot use the thryoid hormone appropriately. Mine was super duper low, despite a diet high in iron but low thryoid also decreases absorption, so it is a bit of a chicken/egg problem. 

• Like 3

Thank you for sharing your story, soror. :) My next step is to find a good Dr. They are hard to come by. If anyone knows of a good natural Dr that helps with thyroid conditions, and lives near the outskirts of the LA area, please let me know! 

I will take all this info to heart, believe me. 

Stop the Thyroid Madness has a yahoo groups through which you can find a dr. I also searched on Gena Nolan's page as well (she is a former Baywatch star but has been diagnosed with Hashimotos and has wrote a book). Her FB page is Thyroid Sexy. I spent many hours pouring over them trying to find someone and ended up with the functional medicine dr 2+ hrs away. My dr was great at first but then, not so much, I do not believe he has monitored me nearly close enough and he is hard to get ahold of, I'm considering heading onto an endrocrinologist that I had found on one of the sites. If not for the high costs and hassle of switching a dr I already would have, it is so hard and frustrating.

• Like 1

I also have to throw out there about Iodine Supplementation, this is EXTREMELY controversial for Hashi's patients, any time I've tried it I've felt worse, please get your levels professionally checked before proceeding with this line.

• Like 1

I was ordering one of my son's supplements and happened across one that you might find interesting.  it is specifically for supporting the thyroid.  it's from pure encapsulations (high quality brand that dudelings ND recommends for some things.)

http://www.amazon.com/Pure-Encapsulations-Thyroid-Support-Complex/dp/B00168AG2M/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1432399709&sr=8-2&keywords=pure+encapsulations+thyroid

I was ordering one of my son's supplements and happened across one that you might find interesting.  it is specifically for supporting the thyroid.  it's from pure encapsulations (high quality brand that dudelings ND recommends for some things.)

http://www.amazon.com/Pure-Encapsulations-Thyroid-Support-Complex/dp/B00168AG2M/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1432399709&sr=8-2&keywords=pure+encapsulations+thyroid

I can't see the ingredients though :( Do you know specifically what is in it? It looks promising.

Stop the Thyroid Madness has a yahoo groups through which you can find a dr. I also searched on Gena Nolan's page as well (she is a former Baywatch star but has been diagnosed with Hashimotos and has wrote a book). Her FB page is Thyroid Sexy. I spent many hours pouring over them trying to find someone and ended up with the functional medicine dr 2+ hrs away. My dr was great at first but then, not so much, I do not believe he has monitored me nearly close enough and he is hard to get ahold of, I'm considering heading onto an endrocrinologist that I had found on one of the sites. If not for the high costs and hassle of switching a dr I already would have, it is so hard and frustrating.

Good luck with trying to find a good Dr.! I'm going to have to go that route as well. My Dr. now is not very nice, and likes to go on and on about her problems, and how she got over them, so I better do it too! 

I also have to throw out there about Iodine Supplementation, this is EXTREMELY controversial for Hashi's patients, any time I've tried it I've felt worse, please get your levels professionally checked before proceeding with this line.

I agree

• Like 1

before you take any supplement, you should make sure you know what is in it and make sure it is from a trusted source. How to know that, I am not sure though.

There was this article in the NYT health section recently

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2014/01/20/thyroid-supplements-with-a-kick/?_r=0

Researchers who tested 10 popular thyroid-boosting products sold online found that nine contained the hormones thyroxine (T4) or triiodothyronine (T3), sometimes both. The amounts varied, but in some cases the recommended daily dose contained amounts of thyroid hormone as high or higher than delivered by prescription medications, according to the report, published in November in Thyroid, a scientific journal.

And if you are interested in taking a supplement, thyroid support pills are all over amazon. They aren't difficult to find by any means. But make sure you know what is in there and what it is there for.

• Like 2

You first want to know what all is going on with your thyroid. Is it just low thyroid indicated by Free T3 not in the upper 1/3 of the reference range and Free T4 not in the upper 1/2 of the reference range? Or do you have thyroid antibodies which is a totally different focus than treating the thyroid but modulating the immune system instead.

• Like 1

Agreeing with others to try to find a doctor knowledgeable about thyroid.....I know this can be difficult to find. I've had Hashimoto's for a little over 20 years. I initially just took Synthroid and did well on that for several years with my internal medicine monitoring tsh/free t3/free t4. Then our insurance changed, and I had to switch doctors. I was undermedicated for about 10 years and felt generally awful. (I also have fibromyalgia which can be hard to differentiate why I'm not feeling well). Once my dr switched to electronic records, I actually saw my lab results. My numbers were all significantly out of the 'normal' range, but he would never change my Synthroid. I finally got in to see an excellent endocrinologist (he has patients come from all over the US to see him), who agreed I was definitely not being treated properly. He increased my Synthroid and added Cytomel(t3). The first year, he monitored both my labs and symptoms every 6 weeks until we found the ideal dosages. Also added an iron supplement because my ferritin was very low. I have felt much, much better these last couple years. I'm not fatigued, achy, my hair's not falling out, etc.

• Like 2