Menu

Penmanship woes with my upcoming 8th grader

My 13 year old daughter's handwriting is AWFUL.  She usually chooses to write in manuscript instead of cursive because her cursive is so bad.  I'd like to switch her an italic program but don't know which is best and which level I should start her in.  she'd probably need to start at a lower level since this would be completely new to her.  I appreciate any suggests/advice.

Thanks,

Martha

I got wonderful improvement with using french ruled paper, old fashioned dip-pen and inkwell, but still not consolidated (revert to terrible handwriting with normal paper)

On the french ruled paper

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/521733-french-cursive-handwriting/

Dip pen and inkwell you can find on eBay easy

I also got these workbooks

http://www.amazon.com/Spencerian-Penmanship-Theory-Book-copybooks/dp/088062096X

I don't have any particular advice other than encouragement to continue.  We started homeschooling when my daughter was in 7th grade, and I did have her do penmanship exercises for a couple of years.  To combine penmanship practice with Spanish practice, I had my daughter copying passages from the Spanish version of Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone.  (The Harry Potter books were a big favorite of hers at the time.)

Harry Potter y la piedra filosofal

I regret that we stopped working on penmanship, but it was a matter of too many other demands on my daughter's time.

I recall that Betty Edwards' Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain had an interesting discussion of calligraphy/penmanship that you might wish to read.

Regards,

Kareni

Have you and she been working on targeted handwriting practice for an extended period of time? Or not?

If she has done a lot of targeted handwriting practice over a long period of time with little improvement, I would suggest looking up the term dysgraphia and seeing if anything under that heading speaks to you. I would also suggest that while you seek out and implement resources for improving her handwriting you also look into things like Dragon Speak to help with output. You don't want poor handwriting causing her to be held back on improving her written expression skills.

Has she learned how to type? Typing is a very valuable skill in today's day and age. If she isn't typing already I would get her started on a typing program.

I'm using (younger child, started in 5th grade) Getty Dubay Italic Cursive. They have a Write Now program for adults. I might think of that given her age. I started with Book E of the kids programs, because it begins w/italic manuscript and then moves to cursive. I am hoping he gains enough fluency to be able to take legible notes w cursive or a cursive/manuscript merge.  Over-all I think the program is helping him. I just don't think he's going to come out with a good cursive. I think his best hand is going to remain manuscript. He has legibility issues with either, but it is getting better.

I am also working hard on keyboarding skills.This is most helpful for him.

We used Cursive First handwriting program.  It is traditional cursive writing instruction.  Youngest dd has wonderful cursive handwriting.  Oldest, not so much.  She can write cursive rather well (thanks to Cursive First) but she finds it slower and tedious.  Her manuscript writing is quite quick and very legible.  Conversely, youngest dd writes much slower in manuscript.  Oldest is a lefty and youngest is right handed.

I think some of hand writing is style and preference.  I also think handwriting is essential.  Even in this day and age of typing, texting, voice messages, etc., handwriting is still essential.

Oldest wanted an italics program and we used Getty-Dubay.  It gave her a nice "dressy" writing along with her manuscript.