Menu

Trouble Reading Aloud

I have always struggled a bit to read aloud - usually feeling winded, yawning a lot and my eyes watering a ton. On a lark I decided to google this today after a frustrating reading session of feeling like I was almost running a marathon to get to the end of the chapter, and was surprised to find threads on here about it being a possible sign of eye issues or needing vision therapy.

Is that really a potential issue? I can read just fine, I feel, and I can also talk and do lectures with no issues - but reading aloud is a struggle. But then I was thinking about the fact that I am a very fast reader and I know that I don't always read every word and wonder if that could actually be an adaptive response to possible unknown vision issues. But at the same time, it seems so odd to think of having vision issues when reading isn't a struggle.

Or maybe it's just something else -- I'm noticing this pregnancy has been feeling a little more winded than usual too, but it would be misleading to attribute that to what has often been a challenge of reading aloud.

Have you had and overcome this issue? Did you look into vision stuff or simply enough practice get past it. I am out of practice for longer read alouds and I'm trying hard to remember if it does fade away when we're more in our groove, but can't really remember at this time if the yawning/eye watering/shortness of breath goes away or not.

I don't know if it is eye issues but I do know that I was *horrible* at reading aloud prior to having children.  I got a teeny bit better reading aloud to my older son prior to starting homeschooling.  But homeschooling and having to read aloud for at least 2 hours (not necessarily all at once) each day made me *very* good at reading aloud.  So it may just be that you need more practice.

That said, I have noticed that if my stomach is overly full (say from drinking a lot of water) that I do have trouble with the breathing part of reading aloud.  I make sure not to drink a lot prior to reading because of this.  I'd guess that being pregnant might have the same effect.

• Like 1

Sounds more like breathing or allergy issues than vision issues. Being winded and yawning point to lack of oxygen, watering eyes sounds like allergies. Is this a possibility? I developed a lot of allergies as a adult. I have a puffer to help with my breathing when the air is filled with allergens and I can't get my breath.

You may want to ensure that you are breathing deeply, too. A good way to do this is exhale completely, then let the abdomen and then chest fill up with air.

Another possibility could be the way the baby/fetus is developing and prehaps making it difficult to take full breaths.

Finally, you may want to try reading standing up and see if you have the same issues. Perhaps the sitting position is making it harder to breath.

I would guess it's a breathing/diaphragm  issue.  How are your core muscles when you sit? How is your posture?

At the end of my pregnancy with my oldest I had to lean slightly backwards to get a deep breath.  Sitting made it worse.

At the end of my pregnancy with my middle I had a hard time getting a full breath because she was breech and her head was up against my lungs.  After I had The Webster Technique done on my back by a chiropractor she flipped head down.

I am exactly like you describe when reading aloud while pregnant.  I have a really hard time catching my breath and I yawn a lot also.  I actually have a really hard time sleeping as well, I spend most of the night feeling like I need to catch my breath.   I would guess that you being pregnant is most of what is going on.  Sorry wish I had a solution to fix it. ;)

I yawn a lot when I, unfortunately, read aloud toddler books. I mean there is only so many times I can read brown bear brown bear what do you hear. Lol. and unfortunately, I am not pregnant. I have attributed this to being sleepy and bored. So no I had not done any research on this.

The worst part is that sometimes after reading to my toddler for about 20 mins, I have to take a nap. Lol. Not good, not good.

I'm perfectly fine reading aloud classic books.

I'm on my last toddler, so we will see.

Oh, I also sometimes get sleepy during the beginning stages of teaching phonics.

I hope it's nothing medical. I'm hoping I'm just bored and tired. I don't drink coffee and I am trying to not drink sodas.

Don't know if this was helpful,but just to say that you are not alone. good luck.