Menu

Paleozoic, Mesozoic, and early Cenozoic resources

Coursera recently had a MOOC The Emergence of life https://class.coursera.org/emergenceoflife-002.  The class has now ended, but all the material is still available online. You can still watch all the videos, read all the material and so on.  Weeks 4-7 cover the Paleozoic, Mesozoic, and Cenozoic Eras.  

We are also doing a prehistory year this year, but I imagine we are doing so at a much more basic level than you are.  

• Like 1

Coursera also has Dino 101 - https://www.coursera.org/course/dino101

We used Voyages through Time: The Beginning and Usborne Prehistoric World as our prehistory spines and supplemented with many other resources.

Hannah Bonner's series was a favorite:  When Fish Got Feet, Sharks Got Teeth, and Bugs Began to Swarm: A Cartoon Prehistory of Life Long Before Dinosaurs;  When Bugs Were Big, Plants Were Strange, and Tetrapods Stalked the Earth: A Cartoon Prehistory of Life before Dinosaurs ; and When Dinos Dawned, Mammals Got Munched, and Pterosaurs Took Flight: A Cartoon Pre-History of Life in the Triassic.

My sons also liked Jacqui Bailey's four volume, Cartoon History of the Earth: The Birth of the Earth; Dawn of Life; Day of the Dinosaurs; and Stick and Stone Age.  My oldest also liked Dinosaur Ghosts: The Mystery of the Coelophysis (J. Lynett Gillette).

• Like 1

My signature has a link to the Prehistory I put together for DD, though she's younger than I'm guessing your kids to be from your signature. Many of the resources we used were aimed at much older children, though, so some of it might still work.

We also did the Dino 101 course on Coursera and all of us had a lot of fun with it!

• Like 1