Menu

{PSA: Toenails on Dogs} was Silly Question: Nylon Hammocks and Big Dogs

elegantlion

I want to get a hammock. It will mostly hang on my deck, not camping. I'm looking at Nylon/parachute type hammocks. I've found a few that have a high enough weight/size limit to handle me and ds together. Mostly, it will probably be me and the dog. She's a 70lb lab. I'm more concerned about her toenails damaging the nylon. Even when they're trimmed, they're still clawlike. 

So if you have a nylon hammock and a big dog, so they tear or poke holes in it? 

I sometimes wondered how perfectly happy "silly" threads that started so well and so innocently could go so bad so quickly :D 

So allow me to be "serious" for a moment, and then *hopefully* the thread won't be derailed and people can get back to hammock materials.

A labs nails should not be "claw like" post-trimming. People who train canine athletes have known for a very long time what a great risk long nails are for dog's orthopedic health because long nails cause the articulation of legs and joints to change out of "the natural" position. This knowledge is now filtering into the general pet-owning population, however slowly. One of the breeds that is most vulnerable to problems arising from long nails are Labrador Retrievers. Combine their typical girthiness with long nails, and it can (and often does) lead to orthopedic problems that can be avoided (or mitigated against) with attention to nail grooming. And what is a healthful length is much shorter than most people realize. 

If one can hear a dogs nails on hardwood floor they are too long.

I know people get freaked out about trimming nails, especially really dark or black ones, when it is hard to see the quick (so easy to cause pain and draw blood). An alternative is to use a dremmel hand grinder, and to slowly reduce the nails over time (and then maintain). There are some precautions with a dremmel (such as you don't want to work on any one nail too long to avoid heat from friction) but otherwise it is a way for people to keep nails at a healthful length without the anxiety many feel using clippers.

I mention this because long nails are actually a much bigger deal than almost all dog owners realize. They can lead directly to a dog being crippled in middle age, and Labs are particularly vulnerable. 

All the best (and sorry to be serious),

Bill

• Like 4

Bill makes a good point. If you are like me and a little hesitant to clip too far up, you can get a toenail trimming at the vet to the proper length and then maintain with dremmel or file so they won't get too long.

I don't know anything about hammock materials. :)

Oh goodness, people I know how to trim my dogs nails. I don't need a lecture I worked for a vet for years. As to the claw like remark, have you never had a dog try to grip something? Yes, their toenails are going to be a big longer when they do that. But a dog is not like a cat that has retracted nails, so there is more of an issue with holes or puncturing. 

Really, if you have experience with a hammock and a big dog with properly trimmed nails (excuse me for not being so damned specific in my original post), I'd love to hear experience. 

Seriously, I'm up to my eyeballs in personal issues today, I edgy and defensive already, but I don't need a PSA on toenails. 

• Like 1

Cupcakes? Kilts? Or just Shopping Carts?

Not much help here. Our old Lab mix consistently shredded hammocks of all types except heavy duty canvas. Parachute fabric would not have stood a chance - if her feet didn't get it, she would prolly have just chewed it to pieces. She felt it was her duty to keep hammocks out of the yard.

• Like 3

Cupcakes? Kilts? Or just Shopping Carts?

Not much help here. Our old Lab mix consistently shredded hammocks of all types except heavy duty canvas. Parachute fabric would not have stood a chance - if her feet didn't get it, she would prolly have just chewed it to pieces. She felt it was her duty to keep hammocks out of the yard.

Here, you get a cupcake. 

Yes, I can see my dog trying to dig in a hammock, hadn't thought of that.   :cursing: She might try to eat it too. Okay then, probably not the kind I want. Back to the expensive ones. 

Oh goodness, people I know how to trim my dogs nails. I don't need a lecture I worked for a vet for years. As to the claw like remark, have you never had a dog try to grip something? Yes, their toenails are going to be a big longer when they do that. But a dog is not like a cat that has retracted nails, so there is more of an issue with holes or puncturing. 

Really, if you have experience with a hammock and a big dog with properly trimmed nails (excuse me for not being so damned specific in my original post), I'd love to hear experience. 

Seriously, I'm up to my eyeballs in personal issues today, I edgy and defensive already, but I don't need a PSA on toenails. 

See, I feared it would go bad. No offense intended. Many dogs I see (especially Labs) end up crippled. Long nails are a big risk factor. Nails should be kept shorter than most (and by most, I mean the vast and overwhelming majority of dog owners) realize. You mentioned "claw like" and because I like you very much I hoped to share some awareness that I possess. I did not mean to make you feel bad or defensive.

Sorry.

Bill

I'm tiptoeing quietly (trimmed my toenails LOL) to say - I'd be thinking of the type of fabric they use on the heavy duty Kuranda beds. So probably Cordura textured nylon, or 40oz vinyl.

I'm kind of fanatical about nails too but yeah even well trimmed nails will gouge things.

Can we make it a psa on how to trim nails though? for those unlike the OP who don't know?

why?

how

i'm tiptoeing out.... :leaving:

• Like 1

See, I feared it would go bad. No offense intended. Many dogs I see (especially Labs) end up crippled. Long nails are a big risk factor. Nails should be kept shorter than most (and by most, I mean the vast and overwhelming majority of dog owners) realize. You mentioned "claw like" and because I like you very much I hoped to share some awareness that I possess. I did not mean to make you feel bad or defensive.

Sorry.

Bill

Thank you. I agree it is an issue, I've seen it. My wording was off as well. I know what you were picturing, I'm thinking more of what happens when they dig. 

No fear, your awesomeness is still intact. 

I'm tiptoeing quietly (trimmed my toenails LOL) to say - I'd be thinking of the type of fabric they use on the heavy duty Kuranda beds. So probably Cordura textured nylon, or 40oz vinyl.

I'm kind of fanatical about nails too but yeah even well trimmed nails will gouge things.

Can we make it a psa on how to trim nails though? for those unlike the OP who don't know?

why?

how

So a Tom Bihn hammock would be good, if they made one. It'd probably cost $1000 or more, though. 

In a show of goodwill, I will extend the title of this post for those that don't know. 

why?

how

Thanks for posting those.  The video by the vet was particularly interesting. 

Thank you. I agree it is an issue, I've seen it. My wording was off as well. I know what you were picturing, I'm thinking more of what happens when they dig. 

No fear, your awesomeness is still intact. 

So a Tom Bihn hammock would be good, if they made one. It'd probably cost $1000 or more, though. 

In a show of goodwill, I will extend the title of this post for those that don't know. 

Thank you.  I knew that my dog's nails were in need of trimming (despite the vet recently saying they were fine), but this provided the motivation to actually get out the clippers and give it a go.  

Good luck finding a hammock. We love the hammock we have, but it is a woven one and the dog doesn't get in it.  

• Like 1