Menu

CAP W&R for middle schoolers?

Would it be wise to start rising 7th and 8th grade students in this program? If so, where would they start?

Background: Neither of my boys love writing. The oldest went through most of WWS 1 last year, but it required A LOT of hand holding and, frankly, I think much of it went over his head. This year they both completed IEW SWI-B, which was okay, but I'm not eager to do another year of IEW.

Any Hive input is welcome! Thanks.

They might be a bit old for the program, honestly. You might want to consider Writing the Classical Way for a one-year survey of the progym. I haven't used it, but I am considering using it next year with my oldest. She benefited in 6th and the first half of 7th grade from W&R, but the production pace is just too slow for her to get full coverage of the progym. Writing the Classical Way is designed for 7th & 8th graders and fully covers the progym (along with some general writing instruction) in one year.

• Like 2

I agree - if they've done WWS 1, they may get something from the Chreia and the Refutation/Confirmation books, but I wouldn't start before that.  I've also had to leave the program behind for my current 7th/rising 8th grader, though she did enjoy the bits of it she did in late 6th/early 7th (bits of Narrative 2 and Chreia).

Writing the Classical Way would be a quick way to go through the progym.  Do note that it is very heavy in Christian content and some of the passages in the workbook, or for essays, are very challenging.  My dd was working on the Slanted Essay exercise in the workbook, and neither one of us could make heads or tales of the passages selected - they were about the destruction of the temple, old translations from Tacitus or Livy or something.  Fairly incomprehensible - they made the WWS reading selections seem positively easy!  ;)

We're using Writing With a Thesis as our spine, and choose some of the essay assignments from WTCW as supplemental practice. I think my dd would hate it as her main writing - it's pretty dry.

• Like 1

Lively Art of Writing? The text is cheap, but dated, the teaching is solid, and there's a free .pdf workbook. I used it at co-op a couple of years ago. The kids are still complaining about drag racing, but their writing is rock-solid. :closedeyes:

My dd did this in 7th grade. It was excellent. It really helped her learn the essay form.