Menu

Cost of Remediation Materials - JAWM

:huh: :scared: :sneaky2: :willy_nilly: Click *purchase* and :ack2:

I know that working on the additional Rewards books will help with the boys' reading, but there should be an Congressional investigation into why slapping the label "remediation" on something makes it cost 4x the amount of a traditional program. My bank account is freaking out!

• Like 9

I hear you and sympathize, but the high cost of special education materials may just be as simple as supply and demand. Stick a "remediation" label on any item and most of the population won't want to even touch it, what less buy it.  There's a large up-front cost for writing and printing any material. If you ever buy anything in bulk (like photos) you've probably noticed how the cost goes down significantly per item the more you buy. Same principles apply here. I'm grateful that there are people creating and publishing materials for children with dyslexia and other special needs. Most of them probably aren't in it for the money. 

The difference in pricing between materials aimed at a PS audience and those aimed at HSers or tutors suggests that there is a bit of price-gouging going on.

You mean on the ps end?  Yeah, definitely, lol.  Some of their programs are absurdly expensive AND ineffective which, as a tax payer, burns me up.  Barton costs a lot, but I get complete training videos to go with the level, personal help from the author any time I need it (by phone or email!), AND have high resale value.

• Like 1

:grouphug:

The expensive part is nonconsumable, right?

Have you tried Webster's Speller or Marcia Henry's Words? Words goes from grades 3 to 8 and words on spelling, phonics, and vocabulary. A lot of good information in there, words organized by language of origin. Non consumable, Cd to print worksheets, under $50 from Pro-Ed.