Menu

Looking back...What are you really glad you've done?

Farmgirl70

My youngest is graduating from homeschooling and headed to college in the fall. Recently, I've been pondering what I am glad we did and decisions I am glad we made.  Here's what I have so far: I'm glad we read so many real books, that my kids had time in high school to pursue their interests pretty far, that we took steps to avoid over scheduling so that they had time to grow and get to know their inside selves, that we didn't spend much time on standardized testing, that they spent time outside quite a bit over the course of their education, and that we could approach their education is some creative and interesting ways (not that we did all the time, but we did some really interesting things over the years).

How about you? What are you glad you did with your kids--both for their educations and for the people that they have become?

• Like 15

My daughter, who is going to college this fall, said that she is glad we did a lot of read alouds, that she was able to skip all the high school silliness, and that she took so many dual enrollment classes and CLEPed some classes so she is ahead in college.

• Like 3

read alouds

music lessons

orchestra(s) + ensembles

speech & debate

baseball for ds (helping out a local team, not just LL)

IOW, snuggly read aloud time starting before birth, lol, and what 8 said about following their passions.

Also, moving to the country (we built our house, that was an education for us all!) and making time for the dc volunteer. It really gives/gave them a sense of purpose and was a nice break from me. ETA: Notice I said a nice break "from" me and not "for" me, but a little for me too.

• Like 2

What I'm glad about? 

Doing read alouds in high school

Letting him pick the language(s) he wanted to study

Doing Logic (formal and informal), so important for this child

Allowing free time for interests

Having long conversations that rambled

• Like 3

The things I am glad about:

all the reading for fun

all the required reading (this is where ds1 is very different from peers...just more exposure)

insisting on swimming-even when it was hard-it has led to jobs and confidence in hard work

not pushing writing until they were older

all the time together as group of siblings

• Like 1

Summit Ministry's worldview class before Ana graduated.

That was #1.

Other incidentals that I intend on repeating with youngers:

Hit the foundational things at a steady, consistent pace - math, writing, grammar

I'm glad she did Latin.  She's found it VERY useful.

I'm glad we drilled grammar.

I'm glad we did significant ACT / SAT prep.

I'm glad we spent HUGE amounts of time reading and reading aloud K-6.

I'm going back to Rod & Staff Grammar with my littles.

I'm glad she learned to do work independently, get up early, and get on it.  I have NO idea if she would have been so self-driven if we hadn't nurtured that in her.  

Thus far the other two teens are exactly the same way in that area (up and get to work with a purpose) but all three have different personalities so I think it's a habit?

• Like 1

Travel.  Not only is actually seeing and doing things the best learning experience IMO, we have so many awesome memories we still share.

Last night during our prime rib dinner with our college boys who have returned for their break (or part of their break), different trips and experiences growing up were all we talked about.

Not once did they bring up anything from a textbook or a required reading book.  These things helped get them into college and gave them a decent foundation, but travel and discussions are just at a higher level of comprehension and enjoyment.

ps  Some of those travel deals were local hikes.  They weren't all time consuming and pricey, though some were.

My guys are still enjoying life (and traveling) and that makes this mama incredibly happy and proud.  Oh, and our next trip starts tomorrow.  We are looking forward to it.

• Like 6

My oldest graduates in 10 days, so this is timely.

I would say that I have no regrets that I was low-key for K-2nd, and then pushed them hard from then on.

I'm glad that we used IEW early on, and got them into Latin for 7th grade and up.

Saxon has worked really, really well for them. It would drive me bonkers with the way it spirals!  I just don't learn that way, but they do.

We've also been very involved in Aikido (a martial art) locally for the last 8 years.  My oldest is a Shodan (black belt) and is one of their main instructors now.  He was invited to a national-level seminar with the U.S. head of our branch in the fall in Boston, and just received his national-level credential yesterday that would enable to teach anywhere or even open his own school.  He should have his international credential from Japan sometime in 2016.  My younger one is also advancing and teaches now as well, although she has had breaks in her studies because of medical issues.  She probably will make Shodan her senior year.

And I'm glad that we did a literature-rich program the whole way with Sonlight in grade school and then various classical programs after that.  My oldest is leaning towards accounting or business logistics, but he's an excellent reader and writer and received the top business scholarship for freshman at his college.  That focus in high school will undoubtedly help him in school even though he has very few humanities left to take because of advanced standing.

• Like 1

Academically I am glad we spent many hours playing with maths when they were little. We also did most of our school via living books. Very hands on art and messy science in the back yard. Great fun and what the dc's talk about from their lives when they were little.

For the older years we have travelled quite a bit. Some of it is just an afternoon trip to a nearby place but lots of family outings that dh was able to go on.

Yes, I am glad we did the academics because they will hopefully be able to live the lives they want to thanks to the hard work they have done but everything else is what the memories are.....

• Like 4

Hands down, travel.  I went on an EF Educational Tour of France and Italy with my oldest two last spring, and we made so many memories.  We've also done a lot of traveling in the US, and my kids have been able to go on business trips with their dad. 

Pursuing their passions is high on the list, too.  And making them repeat their math until it stuck.  And long conversations with them sitting on the kitchen counter as I cooked or we ate lunch.  ;) And being able to devote my time to them to help them in whatever way they needed, be it extra help with school work or driving them to Key Club events or taking numerous college tours. 

• Like 3

My youngest is graduating from homeschooling and headed to college in the fall. Recently, I've been pondering what I am glad we did and decisions I am glad we made.  Here's what I have so far: I'm glad we read so many real books, that my kids had time in high school to pursue their interests pretty far, that we took steps to avoid over scheduling so that they had time to grow and get to know their inside selves, that we didn't spend much time on standardized testing, that they spent time outside quite a bit over the course of their education, and that we could approach their education is some creative and interesting ways (not that we did all the time, but we did some really interesting things over the years).

How about you? What are you glad you did with your kids--both for their educations and for the people that they have become?

What you said.  :)

• Like 1