Menu

AOPS Solutions Manual

We're considering AOPS Intro to Algebra for fall.  I've looked at the site, the videos, the samples.  What we're weighing is whether this is something we want to manage on our own to try an online class.  I can't seem to find any sample pages of the solutions manual.  Is there a link to samples of the solutions manual (not the student textbook)?  Does it go through problems step-by-step or just give an answer?  TIA!

Yeah you definitely DO NOT want to go without it!

Oh, I wouldn't even consider it!  Just trying to determine whether we can do this on our own WITH the Solutions Manual or if we need to find an outside instructor.  The sample of the Number Theory Solutions Manual really helped.  We need some explanation along with the answer.  Thanks, everyone!

• Like 1

Oh, I wouldn't even consider it!  Just trying to determine whether we can do this on our own WITH the Solutions Manual or if we need to find an outside instructor.  The sample of the Number Theory Solutions Manual really helped.  We need some explanation along with the answer.  Thanks, everyone!

I could do it with the solutions manual.  My son didn't end up liking AoPS, but it had nothing to do with the solutions manual.

Nothing special about my math abilities btw.  Plus if you get stuck, I believe they have a message board over there.  You could ask for help.

Here are a couple of pages (on google drive; thanks quark for that idea!) that I scanned from the Intro algebra solutions manual.

As you can see in problem 9.36, there are a couple of different solutions offered, & that's often the case. Reading the solution after solving (whether your child gets the correct answer or not) is part of the learning process with AoPS. I know that I've often found better or more elegant ways to solve stuff, & I have multiple degrees in math!

Another important function of the SM is to demonstrate good mathematical writing, including paragraph style proofs. Kids can learn a lot by comparing their write-ups to those in the SM.

• Like 4

Here are a couple of pages (on google drive; thanks quark for that idea!) that I scanned from the Intro algebra solutions manual.

As you can see in problem 9.36, there are a couple of different solutions offered, & that's often the case. Reading the solution after solving (whether your child gets the correct answer or not) is part of the learning process with AoPS. I know that I've often found better or more elegant ways to solve stuff, & I have multiple degrees in math!

Another important function of the SM is to demonstrate good mathematical writing, including paragraph style proofs. Kids can learn a lot by comparing their write-ups to those in the SM.

:iagree: DD is currently taking the online class for which there is one writing problem assigned per week.  It has been a very valuable component of the class.

• Like 3

Plus, there is a certain perverse pleasure in finding a solution that is more elegant than theirs. ;)

It's rare, btw.

• Like 3

The major difference that seems to be from the online class or doing it yourself is the pacing. The online classes often have a much more rapid pace and a definite time commitment. If you take it on yourself, then the timing is self set.

I do not think there is much in the Intro to Algebra book that an adult and student with the solutions manual could not handle themselves. I know there was a problem in the PreA book that both Ds and I were completely stumped on. When I glanced at the SM's math it did not help. It was only when I read the paragraph that I was able to fill in the blank. So, no, not just answers. Moreover, actual communicating of the reason for the steps occurred. Ds and I were able to take the view of subtraction it asked for and use it in future problems.

• Like 2

Anybody have any input on what level of math they should have completed prior to beginning AoPS PreAlgebra?  DS10 has requested to complete Saxon 65, 76, and Saxon Algebra 1/2 next year (completed Abeka 4 and Saxon 54 this year), but I just learned about AoPS this week and someone suggested that AoPS might be a better fit for him.

We started AOPS PA After SM 5b (with a bridge year of other stuff, but was because DD was 7, not because of math skills) Basid operations, fractions, decimals, percents, negative numbers, and basic exponents need to be pretty solid. AOPS doesn't have review and easy stuff-it starts in hard right out of the gate.

• Like 1

Anybody have any input on what level of math they should have completed prior to beginning AoPS PreAlgebra?  DS10 has requested to complete Saxon 65, 76, and Saxon Algebra 1/2 next year (completed Abeka 4 and Saxon 54 this year), but I just learned about AoPS this week and someone suggested that AoPS might be a better fit for him.

What dmmetler said - fractions/decimals/percents and negative numbers.  Fractions are critical (equivalent fractions, add/subtract/multiply/divide).  Exponent exposure is very helpful as the exponent chapter is one of the more difficult ones in the book.

Note that there is a pre-test to check readiness.  The text was written to follow "5th grade math."

Also note that there are free online videos corresponding to the text as well as the free online problem-solving practice program, Alcumus.

• Like 1

dmmetler and wapiti, thank you both.  You guys rock!  He has had experience with exponents, but hasn't had any experience with negatives yet.  I just printed off the pre-test, so I'll give him that shortly and see how it goes.  And that's great to know that it starts off hard from the beginning.

Ah, good to know.  Right now I'm thinking about just getting Saxon 6/5 tests and having him go through those, just to see if I need to purchase the textbook or if he can understand how to work the problems on his own.  If so, then I may have him do Saxon 7/6 and then AoPS PA.  Another concern is his needing to get back into the swing of things after the summer.  If we start off with something that has more review then he will be really focused by the time we get to the challenging material.

I'm also going to be introducing significantly more challenging topics across the board, so an easing in might be useful.

The pre-test is deceptively easy. It covers the concepts needed, but not at the depth the PA book expects, so be aware Tha tif he breezes through the pre-test, it doesn't mean he'll breeze through the book!

He was really frustrated when I gave him the pre-test today.  Of course, he had already completed 4 Saxon lessons and had taken a test and was ready for history (his fave).  I'm going to present it again next week when he is calmer.

But, this evening, we discussed the different levels of Saxon and AoPS.  He was really intrigued by AoPS when I was explaining it it him.  We went on the website and I showed him around and he really perked up seeing Alcumus and then I showed him the videos.  Oh.my.word.  We were 6 minutes into one of the MathCounts mini videos and he was hooked.  He went running to get his tablet the second that I told him he could watch the videos on youtube whenever he wanted.  He's now subscribed to both the MathCounts videos and the AoPS ones.  :)

The only thing he's geeked out like that on in a LONG time has been minecraft.  Eyes locked on the screen, mouth half open, and totally engaged.  Most of it was brand new terminology to him, so I'll be interested to see where he goes from here, but he's obsessed right now.  

And I almost cried.  Did this momma's heart good to see him so excited and engaged.

• Like 7