Menu

What math for summer?

My dd11 just finished her first year in school - 6th grade. She completed Saxon Course 2, which I believe is the same as 8/7. I'd like to keep her moving, in preparation for Algebra, but not overload or frustrate her. What should I do??

My thoughts so far...

1) Key to Algebra

2) AOPS PA with videos (I have this already. Am concerned because she's strong in math but hates to get frustrated - or work.)

3) Khan Academy (she doesn't like the videos)

My goal is to keep her math fresh and work on some material she will have next school year. I assume they'll do Saxon Course 3 (whatever that is - pre-algebra??) and not full Algebra.

Any ideas?

My suggestion is to start Saxon Course 3 and just keep your notes so that homework is made infinitely easier in the next year. Even just getting through the first several (simple) lessons and having a stock of completed lesson practices can save a lot of sanity in the Fall when school is back in session because much math homework will be done.

If she does not like KhanAcademy videos then the question is how helpful are the exercises to your child? My son does not do well with electronic learning because when the screen is cleared so is his mind, it helpful to him to read, write and recite his math as he's doing it. My son is very slow learner, but diligent worker who learns well with "old school" paper and pencil.

KhanAcademy can be done on a laptop if you are planning on traveling a lot this summer it would be nice if they can be done with Math from ANY where  but I do not know of its usefulness with the exercises solving them on a tablet/laptop while you are traveling.

Keys to Algebra is popular here because it gives a good, gentle introduction to Algebra but can be a little costly if you are saving pennies like us. Instead of Keys to Algebra my son is going to do the first 40 lessons of the old Saxon Algebra 1 book for his Summer Maths because its a good introduction to basic algebra and gives practice with integers and substituting values and the exercises do not require a lot of advanced writing. He will do the lessons through discussion and these exercises will be using his mental maths. We are also going to work a lot on rates which is his weakness and word problems which is something he loves.

Agree with above but you might rotate in AoPS PA on the side as something you do together. Keep it a colaborative fun thing. It might help solidify math concepts from a bit different perspective and doing a bit of bith might help her see the more interesting side of math while still getting her ahead for school.

I'd probably choose something fun and different, like Life of Fred or Beast Academy 4. The puzzles and problem solving questions are amazing in BA and go well beyond "grade 4" (if that is even suppose to be a grade level).  

Another option is to try out some of the Gauss math tests from the University of Waterloo. They are a lot of fun to do (you can join in doing them yourself). They have many different years posted, as well as all the answers. http://cemc.uwaterloo.ca/contests/past_contests.html

Also, take a look at TabletClass Pre-Algebra.  DS13 did this prior to AoPS Intro to Algebra and it prepared him well for it.  They are having their 50% off sale now.  So the course is only $50.  I would say it would be less frustrating for her than AoPS Pre-A, but still challenging.  We actually used both together, AoPS Pre-A videos and sample chapter problems along with TC as the spine, which worked well.  It's just another option rather than diving fully into AoPS Pre-A at this stage if a student is not ready for that yet.  In our case, ds13 wasn't ready for it and this worked better through easing him into it.

ETA: I just noticed she will be going back to private school in the Fall.  If that is the case, you could still use any of these things in part which would more than prepare her for the next level up.  Though AoPS by itself may be too intense for a Summer of math.

• Like 1

Thanks so much for the advice. I've looked into all of the recommendations and will be making decisions over the next couple weeks. I may give AOPS a try since I have it and it's so different than Saxon (which, for me is a very good thing). We'll see though. Thanks!!

You could also just have her do Alcumus with the AoPS videos.  Since she's already had prealgebra, she will be familiar with much of it, though it will have a different flavor.  If you do the book, I'd probably focus on chapter reviews, any lessons she's unfamiliar with, and work through chapters 2, 5, 7 and 9.  That would probably eat up the summer.

You could also just have her do Alcumus with the AoPS videos.  Since she's already had prealgebra, she will be familiar with much of it, though it will have a different flavor.  If you do the book, I'd probably focus on chapter reviews, any lessons she's unfamiliar with, and work through chapters 2, 5, 7 and 9.  That would probably eat up the summer.

I'm voting for this idea. If you don't want to keep marching in her normal course, you may as well shake it up and do something different. :001_smile:

She played around with Alcumus last summer. This is a great idea. Thanks for the advice. I will sit down and look at the chapters you mention.