Menu

Writing program for the kid who loves writing

Micron4

My rising 4th grader loves writing and is constantly making her own books of poetry, fables, and lately, chapter books. She definitely needs work with mechanics, but overall she has very interesting plot lines and uses intriguing words to get her point across.

So far we have done WWE1, parts of WWE2, and CAP fable.

What would you suggest next for a kid who enjoys writing? Also, which programs should we avoid (and why)?

Brave Writer. :D Look at Partnership Writing.

I think it's especially good for kids who love to write and kids who are reluctant writers (which sounds weird, but it's true - it's good for the two ends of the spectrum!).

What you need to avoid depends on her. Some kids who love to write can be made to really dislike it through programs that ask them to follow a formula (like, say, IEW's dress ups) or to not have a lot of choice in what they write about, but other kids won't mind at all.

• Like 2

Brave Writer. :D Look at Partnership Writing.

I think it's especially good for kids who love to write and kids who are reluctant writers (which sounds weird, but it's true - it's good for the two ends of the spectrum!).

What you need to avoid depends on her. Some kids who love to write can be made to really dislike it through programs that ask them to follow a formula (like, say, IEW's dress ups) or to not have a lot of choice in what they write about, but other kids won't mind at all.

:lol: I almost gave the exact same reply 30 minutes ago but was too exhausted to defend the confounding logic! My DD10 (born with a pen in her hand ;) ) loves Brave Writer...but she also likes IEW. But I am not rigid about implementation, and we tend to make writing more interactive than most, so that might explain it. If I had to pick one writing curriculum and had only this writing loving child, Brave Writer would definitely win.

And definitely do NaNoWriMo!

• Like 2

Thank you for your advice! I already own BW, but I'm having trouble with implementation. Maybe the Partnership Writing is what I need to have more of a schedule/structure. 😃

It is funny how IEW and BW are both recommended for reluctant writers and non reluctant writers. Although there seem to be a lot more threads having to do with reluctant writers than eager writers, at least as far as I could tell.

I'm still thinking of IEW, though. Mainly because that's what our co-op uses, and we (I) work better with some level of outside accountability. I just worry that IEW might make her start hating writing!

Is it possible to do both? Maybe IEW for the structure, but BW to help her with all the self-initiated projects? Or is that just crazy?

And then there's Treasured Conversations which looks promising too...

• Like 1