Menu

What's the WORST book you've read all the way through?

PeachyDoodle

The Slap by Christos Tsolkias

It was for a book club, so I had to finish it. Most books I dislike are forgettable, but this was just egregious.

This is what I was coming to say!  What a disgusting, horrible excuse for a book.  I hated everyone.  The male characters were all absolute pigs.  Honestly, the thought that this is the world the author sees is one of the most depressing things ever to enter my brain.

I loved some mentioned in here!  Grapes of Wrath, Anna Karenina, Age of Innocence, The Awakening, Atlas Shrugged (don't shoot me - this is one of my all time favourite books!)

I love Age of Innocence but I like how Edith Wharton writes, she makes me feel like one of my older southern great aunties is whispering in my ear. :lol:

I just liked Age of Innocence ok, and truthfully found it a bit of a slog... until the end.  I LOVED the end.

Oh my... not sure how I could forget this one... Push. Ugh. That's the book the movie Precious was based on. I didn't like that book.

I really loved that book. The sequel was not as good.

I heard the author speak when it first came out and she said that her first publisher wanted her to have Precious lose all the weight and get a boyfriend. And everything would be peachy keen. Now THAT would have been an awful book.

There was another movie titled Push when the movie was being made so that's why they changed the title. Can you imagine seeing Precious by accident because you were looking for Push the action movie thriller? Yikes.

I finally got around to reading this thread (finally had enough time on my computer)...

Whenever anyone asks, The Oxbow Incident comes to mind.  Am I the only one who had to read it for school? :glare:  I didn't see it on anyone else's list and no one in our class admitted to liking it.

The Grapes of Wrath is one of the few books I really enjoyed from my school reading days.  It's one I often recommend to help people understand the Dust Bowl days.

The Great Gatsby is the only book I recall finishing and really disliked that was a free read (not a school mandated read).  Like others, I'll quit reading most books if they are boring or offensive.  (GG was boring!)

The Sound and the Fury.

I read it about 15 years ago, and made myself finish it because it is a Classic Southern Novel and the only literature by William Faulkner we have in the house. I've never attempted anything else by him.

You reminded me of another book I disliked hidden deep in my neurons - Light in August.  At this point I remember absolutely nothing about the book other than I crossed William Faulkner off my list of authors to read due to slogging through that one senior year.

My two college boys are here with me.  I just asked them what their worst read (so far) has been:

Middle son:  Xenocide by Orson Scott Card (added nothing to the trilogy in his opinion)

Youngest son:  Beloved by Toni Morrison (yuck, he said, then gave a lengthy description that won't put it on my reading list)

I remember reading The Oxbow Incident in a lit class in high school. 90% of it was a slog but I thought there was a good pay-out at the end, iirc. Did you know they made a movie out of it? The Oxbow Incident  Henry Fonda is in it, too!

I knew there was a movie, but obviously had no desire to pay money to actually see it.

Many of us readily agreed that if the book had been a short story, we'd have liked it.   There were just pages upon pages that could have been summed up with "they rode."

If it hadn't been a required read, I'd have given up about 1/8th of the way in.

Red Badge of Courage. Blech.

That's another one we had to read and I let (mostly) slip from my memory as I only recall small bits and pieces - nothing great or life changing.

I suppose it was useful to turn on more brain cells (the way that happens in the teen years) so I could write over them later.  Aside from that, I can't think of anything...

My guys did not have to read it.  I breathed a sigh of relief yesterday after asking my guys what their worst book was.  For both of them, it wasn't anything "I" assigned!   :hurray:

Middle son:  Xenocide by Orson Scott Card (added nothing to the trilogy in his opinion)

Youngest son:  Beloved by Toni Morrison (yuck, he said, then gave a lengthy description that won't put it on my reading list)

I couldn't stand Ender's Game.  I never made it farther.  The combination of very special gifted people who are better than everyone else (but who don't really act like it) and the long middle section where nothing happened but blowing things up... yeah.  Kind of ruined whatever it was he was trying to say.

Beloved has some wonderful things in it.  And some other stuff.

• Like 2

The Maze Runner series. I can't believe I was tricked into reading a zombie book. 

Ugh! I forgot about that one. I read The Maze Runner because ds wanted me to, and thought it wasn't good but I made it through. I read the second one and hated it. Never finished the series.