Menu

Finished Barton Level 3!

I have to brag and you guys will *get* this better than anyone else :) 

Ana just did her Level 3 Posttest and we'll be starting Level 4 next week. I have her take the post-test as a pretest as well as evidence in case our draconian homeschool district (we're in PA) ever questions why a 13 year old is going through basic phonics for her language arts. These are her compared results on a couple parts:

Actual Phrase: crush the gift

Before: crash the gift

After: crush the gift

Actual phrase: a swift clam

Before: a crist clam

After: a swift clam

Actual phrase: crisp shrimp

Before: sift shwip

After: crisp shrimp

Spelling theft

Before: thef

After: theft

Spelling french

Before: froch

After: french

Spelling clock

Before: colck

After: clock

Spelling belch

Before: blick

After: belch

And it went on like this for every single section. Huge, glaring errors, big messy handwriting, and nonsensical spellings or wild reading guesses before and now she knows how to neatly number her page, skipping lines, writes in the lines, and reads and spells 95% or better correctly on every single section! We still have a little work to do on phrasing and punctuation but overall there is a huge improvement!

It took us so long to get through level 3 and I was feeling kinda discouraged that maybe with her intellectual disability she'd never quite get to a 9th grade decoding level but now I feel like she definitely will, it'll just take time. It helps to remember where we started to really understand the difference in where she is now. :)

• Like 11

Yay!

How have you found Barton for a child with hearing loss? I like the idea of something super-easy to implement and with a lot of handholding for me, but then I see certain other O-G based programs specifically designed for D/HoH kids like SMiLE and DuBard and I wonder if one of those might be more appropriate.

• Like 1

Yay!

How have you found Barton for a child with hearing loss? I like the idea of something super-easy to implement and with a lot of handholding for me, but then I see certain other O-G based programs specifically designed for D/HoH kids like SMiLE and DuBard and I wonder if one of those might be more appropriate.

I have found it to be just fine with a moderate hearing loss (50% unaided, 80% aided and she lip reads a bit). I haven't checked out SMiLE and DuBard because I hadn't heard of them so I can't compare apples to apples with them but I think Barton is working so well I actually don't feel the need to jump ship to the shiny different curriculum, which is telling in and of itself, lol! I do think in an ideal world with more time and money I would have done LiPS for maybe 2-6 months first and then started Barton Level 1 with that good background, incorporating some of the LiPS elements all along the way. Just because I've found the insurance-covered speech therapists to be largely useless and I think LiPS would have been more comprehensive to do, even just at home with me as a layperson teaching it, to address the underlying speech issues. 

To use Barton with a hearing impaired kid I think the important things are:

1. Sit across from them so they can read your lips

2. Teach them how to self-advocate "Can you please repeat that" and repeat the word whenever necessary. 

3. Discuss speaking/hearing discrepancies as they come up, ideally keep a handheld mirror nearby to show them how their mouth looks when saying "e" vs "i" and "sh" vs "th" and any other issues that come up. Barton becomes speech therapy and reading therapy for us, and that means we move slower sometimes but it's worth it to develop good speech and reading habits and accuracy.I LOVE that Barton always has her repeat the word back to me because I'm able to catch problems in hearing/understanding and differentiate them from problems in truly just figuring out the correct letter for the sound. If she says the word back to me incorrectly I know she heard it wrong so we try again. If she makes the same mistake twice I know it's a phonological issue and we need to talk about it and break out the handheld mirror. 

4. Go at their pace. Ana has other issues so I'm not sure if this is a universal deaf/hoh thing but the fact is we just need to take time with lessons sometimes. Because not only is she rewiring her brain for dyslexia, she's also rewiring it for poorly developed language and hearing areas. It's exhausting mentally. 

• Like 5