Menu

Spelling You See questions

Bookworm4

I keep looking at Spelling You See as a possibility for next year and haven't found a whole lot of reviews yet (outside of those that used it for a few weeks that received a free copy for a blog review when it was initially released last year).  For those that have used it, can you share pros and cons or anything you like or didn't like that can't be seen from the samples online?  If your child learned phonograms for reading, does it bother them if the letter combinations colored in SUS lessons don't correlate to phonograms learned?  Did you see a big difference in your child's ability to visualize the spelling of words?  How helpful is the teacher's manual?  Is there information in there that you could apply similar techniques to your own copywork passages, or is it best to stick with the sequence and workbooks prepared by SUS?

I cannot comment much on Spelling U See.  I have looked at it at convention and that is the extent of my experience with it.  That being said, I do my own thing that is similar and cheaper.  We use an old text called The Modern Speller:  Dictation Day by Day.  It is grade leveled and has one dictation sentence for each day.  My children go through the new sentence and underline or highlight any phonogram teams or spelling rules they see in the passage and copy it.  The next day they look it over again (studied dictation) and then I dictate it to them.  Then they copy the next sentence after marking phonograms.  This is how we have been doing spelling for a few years now.  When I looked at SUS, it looked to me just like a colorful workbooky way of doing what we were already doing.  If you go it on your own, then you can determine what gets highlighted and it can match up with your reading/phonics instruction.   Just an idea.  You can download Dictation day by day for free on google books to take a look at it if you are interested.

I cannot comment much on Spelling U See.  I have looked at it at convention and that is the extent of my experience with it.  That being said, I do my own thing that is similar and cheaper.  We use an old text called The Modern Speller:  Dictation Day by Day.  It is grade leveled and has one dictation sentence for each day.  My children go through the new sentence and underline or highlight any phonogram teams or spelling rules they see in the passage and copy it.  The next day they look it over again (studied dictation) and then I dictate it to them.  Then they copy the next sentence after marking phonograms.  This is how we have been doing spelling for a few years now.  When I looked at SUS, it looked to me just like a colorful workbooky way of doing what we were already doing.  If you go it on your own, then you can determine what gets highlighted and it can match up with your reading/phonics instruction.   Just an idea.  You can download Dictation day by day for free on google books to take a look at it if you are interested.

I am not familiar with studied dictation.  How long do you study a passage?  How do you determine how to mark up the words?

I am not familiar with studied dictation.  How long do you study a passage?  How do you determine how to mark up the words?

You can mark the words however best fits with the phonics program you used.  We used Logic of English, so we mark the words in that manner,  With a young child this might be highlighting sh/ch/th/wh  or it might be marking vowel teams.   You can mark words in the way that best makes sense to you and your child and helps them visualize it.  We also for longer words have the child write out the word in syllables so they are viewing it in smaller chunks.   Does that make sense?  We would also have the child look over punctuation and capitalization.  I might point out any grammar elements with a more advanced child.

You can see a video of Studied/prepared dictation at this link to simply Charlotte Mason website.  I think she explains it well.  We start dictation with the children as soon as they are reading well and have gone through a phonics program.   We don't set a time limit on studying the passage.  However long the child needs is how long he gets. 

This is not the Simply Charlotte Mason way, but for us, if the child does very well with the dictation, then he moves on to copying the next passage in Dictation Day by Day.  If it really goes poorly, we might do the same exact sentence the next day.  My goal is to do 4-5 sentences a week.  Sometimes we don't meet that goal and that is okay.

My people have had a lot of retention of spelling and have learned much punctuation just by making dictation a part of their everyday schooling. 

• Like 2

The teacher book is pretty small but I found it helpful.  Most of the program cost is for the consumable workbooks.

I tried it with my 10 yo son and he hated it.  You do the same passage for a week.  I am thinking of trying it with my dyslexic 10 yo dd but she uses a different spelling program with her tutor.  She has a hard time with writing though and she might have a hard time due to the amount of copywork.   I really liked a lot about it with the marking of the vowel and consonant combinations.  That is the part my son really hated and asked constantly if we could switch programs.  He wasn't really improving that much on the passages from the first day to the last day and since he disliked it so much I shelved it.  He likes dictation fine but the marking he just didn't like and I had a hard time because some things were marked differently than what I was used to.  He's doing Apples Spelling right now and likes that a lot better.  

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

We're on our second year with it (we did level C in second grade, we've just started level D).  It works very well with my daughter's style.  She pretty much taught herself to read, we never did any deep phonics or sound studies, so this helps her be cognizant of those things within words.  She definitely uses her chunks when writing words outside of the spelling program.

I like that it emphasizes speling by what "looks right" -- it's how I think, and seems to be how my daughter thinks. 

The repetitive nature of the week's work hasn't been a problem for us, as the sentences vary slightly each day (as you move through the passage).

She does like level D a bit less than C, though, because the content isn't as engaging (last year was animals, this year is American history).

• Like 2

We tried this with my son, who is 8, and while I liked it he hated it. He is my anti-worksheet kid and he was able to do the program for awhile. He seemed to enjoy it but then he just hit a wall with everything. I may come back to it with him later but I doubt I'll buy any other levels.