Menu

What do parents need to know about the PSAT?

I am the testing coordinator for our cover school. One of my responsibilities is informing/reminding parents about having their high school kids take the PSAT. My oldest just finished 6th grade, so I haven't gone through the process with my kids yet. I know that parents will have to contact a local school to make arrangements to take it and there may be a fee for it. What other important things do parents need to know? Is it better to take it in 10th or 11th grade? Is preping for the test helpful? Thanks!

The PSAT only counts in 11th grade; that's when scores are counted for National merit competition. A student who could be in the running should definitely prep.

Test taken in 10th is prep for the real SAT or the 11th grade PSAT, and can make sense to introduce kid to standardized testing in a school setting.

• Like 3

On 5/13/2015 at 10:45 AM, athena1277 said:

- I know that parents will have to contact a local school to make arrangements to take it
- there may be a fee for it
- Is it better to take it in 10th or 11th grade?
-  Is preping for the test helpful?
- What other important things do parents need to know?

1. Yes, parents sign up directly with a local high school.

2. The PSAT test costs $14, and schools often add a small testing center fee to that.

3. When the PSAT is taken in 11th grade, very high scores are eligible for possible National Merit scholarships. If the student is likely to score high in 11th grade, taking the test in 10th grade as practice can be helpful.

4. Prepping for any standardized test is helpful, as it acclimates the student to know what to expect, and the student can learn the "tricks" to how to answer the test questions. For example, the PSAT does not penalize students for wrong answers by deducting points, so students should answer every question after first trying to eliminate obviously incorrect answers.

5. This October PSAT rolls out a newly-revised PSAT test to match the newly-revised SAT that will be released in spring 2016. So this year is the "guinea pig" year for PSAT test takers.

Info for parents can be found here:
Official Guide to the PSAT/NMSQT
- College Board PSAT website

Below I've cut-and-pasted from a previous post the  "quick start" for the major tests parents have to decide about in high school. Hope that helps! Warmest regards, Lori D.

PSAT (Preliminary SAT)
cost
 = $14-20 (approx)
length = 2.5 hours (approx)
when given = once a year, mid-October
when to take it = 11th grade (for potential scholarship $$); 9th/10th grade (if there's room at the testing location for younger students) for extra practice
where given = at most high schools (PSAT location search engine)

purpose #1 = practice test for the SAT
purpose #2 = when taken in 11th grade and score 98-99% = possible NMS-awarded scholarship $$ or college-awarded scholarship for NMS Finalists (National Merit Scholarship). As a result, many families have students take the PSAT in 10th or even also in 9th as practice for when it "counts" in 11th grade

what to do = Directly approach a local high school to register/pay — start the process in late Aug / early Sept, in case it takes several schools to find one that works with homeschoolers; get a receipt when you pay; call closer to the test time to verify that your student IS on their list; schools order the tests in late Sept./early Oct., and don't always have extras for last minute sign-ups.

prep = PSAT sample questions
on test day = what to bring/not bring

ACT
cost
 = without essay = $36.50  /  with essay = $50 (fee waiver info)
length = 4-5 hours (approx)
when given = 2nd or 3rd Saturday of Sept / Oct / Dec / Feb / Apr / Jun
when to take it = 11th or 12th grade; 9th/10th grades for practice, or for "super scoring"
where given = test centers -- usually at a few high schools or university (ACT test location search engine)

purposes = tests readiness for college / confirms "mommy grades" on the transcript / college admission / a way colleges award scholarships

what to do = register/pay online, 6-8 weeks in advance of desired test date and location -- includes uploading a specific-sized, recent photo of the student; print off "admission ticket" receipt and bring, along with a state-issued photo ID or passport, on test day (ACT Test Day Checklist)

SAT (also known as SAT Reasoning Test)

cost = $51 (fee waiver for low income)
length = 4-5 hours (approx)
when given = 1st Saturday of Oct / Nov / Dec / Mar / May / Jun; 3rd Saturday of Jan
when to take it = 11th or 12th grade; 9th/10th grades for practice, or for "super scoring"
where given = test centers -- usually at a few high schools or university (SAT location search engine)

purposes = tests readiness for college / confirms "mommy grades" on the transcript / college admission / a way colleges award scholarships

what to do = register/pay online, 6-8 weeks in advance of desired test date and location -- includes uploading a specific-sized, recent photo of the student; print off "admission ticket" receipt and bring, along with a state-issued photo ID or passport, on test day (Test Day Tips & Policies)

SAT Subject (also known as SATII test)
cost
 = $24.50 = first test, $13 each additional test (fee waiver for low income)
length = 1 hour; can take up to 3 SAT Subject tests in one day
when given = same as SAT -- but not all subjects tested on all days (test schedule)
when to take it = as soon after completing the course as possible for "freshness"
where given = at the SAT test centers (location search engine)

purposes = shows understanding of high school level material in that subject / confirms "mommy grades" on the transcript / college admission requirement for some colleges (list of colleges require / recommend / consider SATII tests)

what to do = register/pay online, 6-8 weeks in advance of desired test date and location -- includes uploading a specific-sized, recent photo of the student; print off "admission ticket" receipt and bring, along with a state-issued photo ID or passport, on test day (Test Day Tips & Policies)

AP (Advanced Placement)
cost = $100 (approx)  (AP financial aid for low income families )
length = varies on the subject (1.5 to 3 hours, approx.)
when given = two weeks in May (
test schedule); not every test given at every location each year
when to take it = 11th & 12th grades are typical, but earlier if completed the study/coursework
where given = at some local high schools 

purposes = tests understanding of advanced & college level material while still a high school student / proof of "mommy grades" and advanced work on transcript / help with admission to top tier & competitive schools / depending on the score (and the school), some colleges grant college credit for AP, or allow freshmen into honors programs due to AP

what to do (for homeschoolers) = at least a year in advance of the test desired, locate a school willing to allow homeschooled student to test with their students, pay the fee, study AP coursework over the school year (student can take AP test without taking an AP class); on test day be sure to bring state-issued photo ID

CLEP (College Level Examination Program) -- college credit by exam
cost =  $80-125 (approx)
length = varies
when given = varies (you schedule appt. with the test center)
when to take it = as an adult; or 11th & 12th grades -- but earlier if completed studying
where given = community colleges and universities

purposes = test for college credit / proof of "mommy grade" on transcript

what to do = online registration for scheduling a specific test/location; use CLEP study materials to prepare for the test; on test day bring payment and state-issued photo ID

pros /cons = no grade or GPA attached to CLEP credits; can be a quicker, cheaper way of accruing college credits to cut college costs, or fill in missing general ed. course requirements; accepted by many but not all universities

How to Know What Test (If Any) to Take?
In deciding which test(s) your student should take, it helps to know the answers to questions such as:

- what college program/degree are they going for 
- what schools do they plan to apply to
- do those schools grant credit for CLEP, AP, dual enrollment
- do those schools require SAT Subject tests
- are those schools competitive, so that AP tests help with admissions
- do APs open doors at those schools to honors courses or special programs and research opportunities to freshmen (or do they not make a difference)
- how big of a factor are finances to your student going to college
     * high ACT / SAT scores are used by colleges to award scholarship $$
     * high score on the PSAT can lead to scholarship $$
     * high AP and SAT II scores show high level of work and can lead to scholarship $$
     * CLEP tests, when accepted by the college towards the degree program, can reduce overall time at the college (and hence, reduce cost of college)

The PSAT, SAT, ACT, AP, and CLEP tests are all for college-bound high school students. If you are unsure your student will go on to a 4-year university (or even a 2-year college) after high school graduation, at the least, I recommend taking one SAT or ACT test, just to "have it in your back pocket" in case the student's post high school plans change late in the game, or a year after graduation.

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 23

There needs to be a Lori D app.  Or at least a collected works.   :laugh:

The National Merit Scholarship uses the junior year PSAT as its qualifying test.  In other words, the composite score on the PSAT is used to determine which students in each state are semi-finalists for the NMS.  There are some colleges that have a merit aid grant for any NMS semi-finalists or finalists who attend that college.  (Typically these are schools who are trying to attract stronger students who might otherwise attend elsewhere.)  The cut score to qualify as a semi-finalist vary by state and change a bit each year.  

Students can take the PSAT before junior year.  Even if they aren't in the running for NMS, it can be a good practice SAT test.  It is a little shorter and much less expensive.  Also the PSAT score is not included with the SAT scores that are sent to colleges.  So if a student wants to ease into college testing it can be a good choice.  I think it can be a great test for high achieving students who are in the NMS running as well as for other students who want some experience with the whole testing gauntlet before doing it "for real."  

My sons have also applied for some summer programs that wanted to have gpa, class rank and/or test scores.  Having a good PSAT score was helpful to them.  They really don't have a class rank and depending on how the program views homeschoolers, the gpa may be considered less reliable than a gpa from a brick and mortar school.

I'll add that it has been helpful for my kids to have SAT scores in junior year.  I had them take the SAT by winter of junior year.  That gave them scores for summer programs that had applications in Dec-Feb junior year.  I suggest taking it no later than spring of junior year so that they have time to analyze results and test again before fall college app and scholarship app deadlines.  (Keep in mind that many scholarships have a Nov 1 deadline or award scholarships on a rolling basis such that money may be gone come Jan of senior year.)

• Like 10

It's not just the PSAT in 11th grade.  It's the PSAT in OCTOBER of 11th grade.    There is one other one later in the year (or at least there used to be) and it does not count.

There is?  I've never heard of it.  There are two in Oct - a Wed and a Sat testing date (same week) and students are only supposed to sit for one or the other, not both.  Either provide qualifying scores for top juniors WHO ARE ENTERING COLLEGE the following year.  If not heading straight to college after graduation (taking a gap year), you are disqualified. 

• Like 2

It's not just the PSAT in 11th grade.  It's the PSAT in OCTOBER of 11th grade.    There is one other one later in the year (or at least there used to be) and it does not count.

October, typically around the second week.  Some areas do Wednesday testing as part of the school day.  Others do Saturday testing.  I depends on the school district.

Registration for the PSAT is not available online through College Board.  It must be done through the school itself.  So far with three different states, we've had no problem with a school registering homeschoolers.  But it is up to the school, so it's possible that they could say no.

Many schools pay for the test for their own students.  If they offer this to homeschoolers, feel blessed.  Typically outside students will pay for the test and possibly a small administrative fee.  Expect to pay $14-$25.

There is a specific PSAT school code for homeschoolers.  The code for each state is different.  (This helps CB categorize the student for NMS.)  The code is different than the SAT code.  https://www.collegeboard.org/psat-nmsqt/home-schooled-students/state-home-school-codes

There is?  I've never heard of it.  There are two in Oct - a Wed and a Sat testing date (same week) and students are only supposed to sit for one or the other, not both.  Either provide qualifying scores for top juniors WHO ARE ENTERING COLLEGE the following year.  If not heading straight to college after graduation (taking a gap year), you are disqualified. 

Apparently, the PSAT is totally re-vamped starting next year, and I believe they now have a spring date as well as fall dates.  It's really strange -- they have an 8th/9th grade PSAT now and a "10th grade" PSAT which is supposed to be pretty much the same as the regular PSAT.  

Apparently, the PSAT is totally re-vamped starting next year, and I believe they now have a spring date as well as fall dates.  It's really strange -- they have an 8th/9th grade PSAT now and a "10th grade" PSAT which is supposed to be pretty much the same as the regular PSAT.  

Ok, I knew the test was being revamped, but didn't know about the other tests or dates.  It's not as imperative that I stay up on it now that mine are all in college... thanks!

I doubt our ps will add the others.

Ok, I knew the test was being revamped, but didn't know about the other tests or dates.  It's not as imperative that I stay up on it now that mine are all in college... thanks!

I doubt our ps will add the others.

I need to correct myself.  Apparently, it is only the PSAT-10 which will be offered to 10th graders in the Spring.  The PSAT, itself, will continue to only be offered in the fall.  I presume the PSAT 10 is easier than the PSAT, although the college board says the same material is covered by both.

Weird.

• Like 2

Libraries host free PSAT test prep as well as parent/student information session and they get filled fast. You can key in your zip code at link below by clicking change location to see what is available

http://www.kaptest.com/psat/enroll?zip=95014&tab=events

For some weird reason the zip code defaults to Apple HQ zip code on my phone. My zip code is nearby but not that :)

ETA:

Difference in format between old and new PSAT

https://www.collegeboard.org/delivering-opportunity/redesigned-psat-nmsqt/compare-tests

2015 Practice Test #1

Preliminary SAT/National Merit Scholarship Qualifying Test (56 page PDF)

https://collegereadiness.collegeboard.org/sites/default/files/psat_nmsqt_practice_test_1.pdf

Answer (95 page PDF)

https://collegereadiness.collegeboard.org/sites/default/files/psat_nmsqt_practice_test_1_answers.pdf

• Like 3

Lori D,

Can I copy/paste your post to a PDF to share with my local homeschool group!? We have some nervous mamas (including myself) preparing for high school and this would really help answer questions on testing!

I agree..... We need a Lori app so all your advise and knowledge is readily available! You ROCK!

So what happens if a 10th grader does well enough to receive the commended designation? Do they still receive it or are they skipped because of National Merit?

My ds might take it this fall but will be in 10th. Very unlikely that he would follow up with the SAT so this would truly be practice. The October date this year appears to be OK for us so would like to let him have a go at the PSAT. Dd never got to take it due to scheduling. Doubtful that the October date will work two years in a row for us.

So what happens if a 10th grader does well enough to receive the commended designation? Do they still receive it or are they skipped because of National Merit?

10th  graders are not eligible for the competition, regardless of how they score on the PSAT. 

• Like 1

PSAT/NMSQT, PSATâ„¢ 10, and PSATâ„¢ 8/9, parts of the SAT Suite of Assessments

https://collegereadiness.collegeboard.org/sat-suite-assessments/key-dates

Just the world needs more variants of the PSAT @!$

Will they prevent 9th graders from taking the real PSAT?

Lori D,

Can I copy/paste your post to a PDF to share with my local homeschool group!? We have some nervous mamas (including myself) preparing for high school and this would really help answer questions on testing!

No problem! :) You might want to add some of the PSAT info that others have shared in this thread, esp. the info on the new test and the PSAT-10. :) How kind of you to help out your homeschool group! Warmest regards, Lori D.

• Like 1

I doubt it.  My guess is that the "non-profit" College Board will encourage students to take the PSAT along with the other SAT Suite of Assessments. 

It will probably be only a matter of time before the Suite of Assessment options include those students in grade K so parents can be sure their kids are on the right track for college readiness.  :glare:

• Like 1

I'm hoping they don't.  I'm looking into having my 7th and 8th graders take the real PSAT in October, so I will post our experience here when I find out what they will allow us to do.  My elder dd took the SAT last year as a 6th grader with no problems, so I can't see why younger students would be prevented from taking the actual PSAT.

I'm hoping they don't.  I'm looking into having my 7th and 8th graders take the real PSAT in October, so I will post our experience here when I find out what they will allow us to do.  My elder dd took the SAT last year as a 6th grader with no problems, so I can't see why younger students would be prevented from taking the actual PSAT.

In the past, the problem with younger students taking the regular PSAT has not been an issue with College Board, but rather, it has been a matter of the local high schools not having the required facilities to open the testing up to so many students who are 1.) not attending their school, and 2.) not in 11th grade.

Something to bear in mind: when a school gives the test, they are required to adhere to strict guidelines from College Board about how many desks may be in what size of room, and how far apart the desks must be. There are also strict guidelines for required number of facilitators and how the test is administered. These physical factors of number of desks, room size, and the manpower available to give the test simply limit a high school's ability to open up the PSAT to students who do not attend the school, or to students who are not in 11th grade.

Now that the PSAT for younger grades is becoming more available, I would guess that the schools themselves will direct you to the PSAT10 and PSAT 8/9 when they don't have room for younger students to test with the school's 11th graders.

I don't know if it is a possibility, but you might look into becoming a test coordinator by registering with College Board and following their requirements and organizing a PSAT test center for homeschooled students... Administering the PSAT/NMSQT; Supervisors Manual for PSAT/NMSQT.

• Like 4

My ds might take it this fall but will be in 10th. Very unlikely that he would follow up with the SAT so this would truly be practice. The October date this year appears to be OK for us so would like to let him have a go at the PSAT. Dd never got to take it due to scheduling. Doubtful that the October date will work two years in a row for us.

The National Merit Scholarship competition is for students who are seniors* and qualification is based on their junior year scores. Being commended is part of this competition.

If your ds is within range of the typical semi finalist scores for your state I would work hard to make the junior year test date.

*ETA: There are some exceptions for students who graduate early from high school.

• Like 2

The National Merit Scholarship competition is only for students who are seniors and qualification is based on their junior year scores. Being commended is part of this competition.

If your ds is within range of the typical semi finalist scores for your state I would work hard to make the junior year test date.

Thank you.

The National Merit Scholarship competition is only for students who are seniors and qualification is based on their junior year scores.

The test can be taken in the last year of high school if the student decides to graduate early. The award would then be offered the first year of college.

http://www.nationalmerit.org/entering.php

"Students who plan to leave high school a year (or more) early to enroll in college full time usually can participate in the National Merit Scholarship Program if they take the PSAT/NMSQT before they enroll in college. Such students must take the PSAT/NMSQT in either the next-to-last year or the last year they are enrolled in high school.

Those who take the PSAT/NMSQT in the next-to-last year of high school will be entering the competition for awards to be offered as they are finishing their final high school year.

Those who take the PSAT/NMSQT in their last year of high school will be entering the competition for awards to be offered as they are completing their first year of college."

• Like 2

The test can be taken in the last year of high school if the student decides to graduate early. The award would then be offered the first year of college.

http://www.nationalmerit.org/entering.php

"Students who plan to leave high school a year (or more) early to enroll in college full time usually can participate in the National Merit Scholarship Program if they take the PSAT/NMSQT before they enroll in college. Such students must take the PSAT/NMSQT in either the next-to-last year or the last year they are enrolled in high school.

Those who take the PSAT/NMSQT in the next-to-last year of high school will be entering the competition for awards to be offered as they are finishing their final high school year.

Those who take the PSAT/NMSQT in their last year of high school will be entering the competition for awards to be offered as they are completing their first year of college."

True.

I was trying to not go into the details for students who graduate early. I think that early graduators may also be able to designate their sophomore score as really being what is now their junior year.

I think there is also a way to qualify for NMS without a PSAT.

I don't think that a student can take a high freshman or sophomore year score and save it or roll it over to use instead of a junior year score. But close reading of the instructions is a good practice.

• Like 1

I remember being told that it's pointless for anyone but top students to take the PSAT.  (Unless they are doing it solely to get an idea of what SAT-type test-taking is like.)  Would that be accurate?  I'm mentioning this because maybe it would be helpful for parents who know nothing about the PSAT to understand that it's something they might choose to skip altogether, and just focus on SAT/ACT prep activities instead. 

I remember being told that it's pointless for anyone but top students to take the PSAT. (Unless they are doing it solely to get an idea of what SAT-type test-taking is like.) Would that be accurate? I'm mentioning this because maybe it would be helpful for parents who know nothing about the PSAT to understand that it's something they might choose to skip altogether, and just focus on SAT/ACT prep activities instead.

I wouldn't go as far as to say "pointless," but the "take this test and earn lots of college money" is very much oversold. I think it's something like 1/3 of one percent of PSAT takers get a scholarship for their PSAT score.

Before you give up on the PSAT, definiitlely check to see if the parents' employers offer any scholarships which may offer money for scores below the NMF cut-offs as well.

The PSAT may get your child thinking about where they fit in the competitive world of college admissions (and do they need more test prep to match the level of their ambitions), and you can sign up for lots of junk mail of dubious helpfulness. (DD couldn't believe how uninformative it was.)

• Like 1

I remember being told that it's pointless for anyone but top students to take the PSAT.  (Unless they are doing it solely to get an idea of what SAT-type test-taking is like.)  Would that be accurate?  I'm mentioning this because maybe it would be helpful for parents who know nothing about the PSAT to understand that it's something they might choose to skip altogether, and just focus on SAT/ACT prep activities instead. 

Our school recommends it for all who plan to take the SAT because getting used to testing like this in general is usually a good idea.  It also is reasonably worthy at showing gaps since one gets their actual test back and can look at each question/answer.

That said, we skipped it with my oldest.  I'm not sure if that was a good idea or not.  His SAT score, while good, wasn't as good as his ACT score.  I've no idea if the PSAT would have helped (or not).

I chose to have my other two take the PSAT both their sophomore and junior years.  Both did better on their later tests.

Great topic. It is important that students understand that there are some significant scholarship opportunities tied to National Merit. The initial qualification for these awards is the PSAT taken in the fall of junior year. Sometimes families look at the size of the awards from the National Merit Scholarship Corporation itself and assume that it isn't worth a lot. This is a mistake. Some employers give scholarships based on National Merit standing and also some colleges have tied very large scholarships - full tuition and full rides - to National Merit.

Yes, this is just the top 1% of students in each state that will qualify, but the reality is that homeschoolers who haven't done a lot of standardized testing sometimes don't have a good sense where they stand with testing. It is worth taking a sample test sophomore year to get an idea if you might be in the ballpark for these awards and if your student might be able to earn strong SAT or ACT scores with some practice and prep. There are quite a few top homeschool graduates who go to college on scholarships that were initially tied to National Merit. So, if you have a strong student take the time to investigate this option and see if it might be helpful for your child.

• Like 4