Menu

Need to outsource writing for 8th. Has never had formal grammar

lactansdea

I'm looking at VP grammar and writing iii but ds has never had formal grammar and VP uses Shurley 7 which kind of scares me...there is also the much cheaper BJU online 8th grade writing and grammar, but I'd have to mark it. (I am capable of doing it, but I'd like to not be the bad guy if you kwim.) to be honest, I am not persuaded that formal grammar is necessary, and would welcome a writing only outsource. Suggestions?

LD

(Ds will also be doing omnibus 1 secondary, SOTW 4, SOTW activity book for geography and some written, assorted hostorical fiction,MUS, Rosetta Stone French. Classically cursive book 3,Taking the year off from science.)

While I believe you can write pretty well without any formal grammar training, the grammar could be the difference between decent/good and outstanding in some cases.

I second the opinion on Analytical Grammar above. Honestly I did not think it would work when I ordered it based on the reviews here, but it has worked very well and without too much involvement on my part.  In other words, a smashing hit. 

What about taking Attuneup's Grammar Cracker during the summer, then jumping into Time Capsule in the fall? You could be doing Essay Practitioner next.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...

What about taking Attuneup's Grammar Cracker during the summer, then jumping into Time Capsule in the fall? You could be doing Essay Practitioner next.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is what we're doing for my rising 8th grader. 

• 6 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

DD (5th) did Time Capsule in the fall. I definitely would not recommend it for an 8th grader unless they really struggle with writing. I felt like for most of the semester it was barely enough for 5th grade in terms of output, although the time expenditure was very high. The writing style is also very formulaic, which was difficult for my daughter. She will be very happy if she never hears the word "snippet" again! Also, the "article" phase of the course (the 4th I think?) was especially frustrating, as the way they were told to organize their paragraphs did not make any sense.

For background, DD has had plenty of grammar and is quite bright, has a good vocabulary and natural composition skills, but has always been a reluctant writer. So the combination of spending a lot of time in writing (which she hates), and very basic, formulaic instruction (which she doesn't need) was a bust for us. But for someone who is the opposite (a willing writer who needs help with basic mechanics) it might be a good fit. I don't think it is anywhere near 8th grade level, though.

• 4 months later...

As a writing teacher, I suggest a strong grammar program.  Too many kids are coming to college without a strong sense of the proper grammatical rules and structures.  In just about every major, writing is a huge component. Everyone has to take one year of college writing, regardless of major.  If your child can write well, college and career will be so much easier.  I did Shurley grammar with my kids.  I think it is fantastic.