Menu

Recommendations--science curriculum for co-op, 3rd-4th?

Does anyone have suggestions for an interesting, hands-on science curriculum for an elementary co-op class?  Geared toward 3rd-4th graders?

In the past have done astronomy, earth science, chemistry...maybe something geared toward plants/animals/insects?

Any and all suggestions welcome.  Would like to keep the cost minimal, but have a lot of hands-on activities.  Possibly a lapbook to accompany.

:)

I'm doing one aimed at 2nd to 4th graders using Jay Wile's Science in the Ancient World. Maybe his Science in the Beginning book might work for you. He recommends doing the experiments in class prior to reading the relevant chapters and doing the notebooking questions. His book is stuffed with experiments. I have two to three every week planned for the co-op year. 

Maybe Apologia Botany will work. The front of the student notebook journal has an alternate schedule for doing botany based on where you live and and the seasons. Plus the notebook journal has extra activities and experiments. Knowledge Box Central has a lapbook designed for all Apologia courses that you can get. 

Just saw you were looking for animals/plants/insects.

Last year they did an animals and their habitats class and made a lapbook. I think the idea for the class was good, but the lapbook idea did not work well with the demographic of kids (lots of boys). Maybe a notebook where they insert pages but not a lapbook.

• 3 weeks later...