Menu

Graduation Parties

sassenach

In our town, it is usually an open house.  People can arrive and leave as they wish, usually it's about a 3-4 hour window.  There is food, cake, decorations & mingling.  Some people will have games set up in the backyard to occupy the little guests, but otherwise nothing is organized for group participation.  

• Like 2

We are having volleyball and lawn bowling for the teens, and hubs is setting off fireworks after dark not because this is some sort of typical thing to do at a graduation party but because he and ds like to light things on fire and make "kabooms" LOL.

It is mostly a time for family and close friends to visit with the graduate. We will have his diploma on display, some of his writing and artwork, and his senior pictures. So there will be some things for people to see.

• Like 3

We're having dd's graduation party on Sunday afternoon (graduation ceremony is on Saturday, late afternoon-evening).  We are hosting it at a local park/lake under at large shelter.  We're going to have food (pork BBQ sandwiches, beans, slaw, hot dogs, fruit, veggies, chips, and cake), outdoor games (volleyball, cornhole, frisbee, etc) and there is also a playground nearby.  It is a family-oriented event consisting of about 80-100 of her friends, our friends, and a few family members.  

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

We just had a party on Saturday for 65 people.  I had it catered with BBQ, potato salad, beans and made green salad. Then we had a cake and ice cream bar.  The rain held off for the kids long enough for them to play a huge volleyball game and some basketball.  I moved all the furniture out of my living room and put in rows of tables.  The adults hung out around the tables.  When it started raining, the kids headed to the basement for ping pong and board games.

We did not have to speak at the party.  Ds had a beautiful graduation ceremony on Friday at his public school homeschool enrichment program.  The six graduates each had a slide show, the graduate spoke, the parents spoke and handed over the diploma.  There was a guest speaker, then there was the transferring of the tassels.  Each family had time with a photographer and then there was a very nice luncheon for the families.  The graduates had made presentation boards and laid out awards, etc.  The school had signing frames for a 5 x 7 picture of the graduate and all of their friends signed the frame.

It was a wonderful weekend and one that will always be remembered.

We just had a party on Saturday for 65 people.  I had it catered with BBQ, potato salad, beans and made green salad. Then we had a cake and ice cream bar.  The rain held off for the kids long enough for them to play a huge volleyball game and some basketball.  I moved all the furniture out of my living room and put in rows of tables.  The adults hung out around the tables.  When it started raining, the kids headed to the basement for ping pong and board games.

We did not have to speak at the party.  Ds had a beautiful graduation ceremony on Friday at his public school homeschool enrichment program.  The six graduates each had a slide show, the graduate spoke, the parents spoke and handed over the diploma.  There was a guest speaker, then there was the transferring of the tassels.  Each family had time with a photographer and then there was a very nice luncheon for the families.  The graduates had made presentation boards and laid out awards, etc.  The school had signing frames for a 5 x 7 picture of the graduate and all of their friends signed the frame.

It was a wonderful weekend and one that will always be remembered.

Wait...what?!  Your DS graduated?  How does this happen, apparently time keeps moving on and kids keep growing up?!  :laugh:

Congratulations to your son, and I'm glad you had a wonderful and memorable graduation weekend!

• Like 1

We're having dd's graduation party on Sunday afternoon (graduation ceremony is on Saturday, late afternoon-evening).  We are hosting it at a local park/lake under at large shelter.  We're going to have food (pork BBQ sandwiches, beans, slaw, hot dogs, fruit, veggies, chips, and cake), outdoor games (volleyball, cornhole, frisbee, etc) and there is also a playground nearby.  It is a family-oriented event consisting of about 80-100 of her friends, our friends, and a few family members.  

That sounds like fun!  The few park parties we've attended have been great, but the rain possibility would worry me.  Do you have alternate plans for if it rains? 

Wait...what?!  Your DS graduated?  How does this happen, apparently time keeps moving on and kids keep growing up?!  :laugh:

Congratulations to your son, and I'm glad you had a wonderful and memorable graduation weekend!

Yes, I am still stunned, as well.  It sorta sneaked up on me, to tell you the truth.  We have been working so hard with this goal in mind.  Now that it is finally here, I cannot believe it.

• Like 1

That sounds like fun!  The few park parties we've attended have been great, but the rain possibility would worry me.  Do you have alternate plans for if it rains? 

Nope, we had a shelter that was large enough to fit 100 people at a time.  We prayed a lot and ended up with a beautiful, warm, sunny day and had a fabulous time outside!  

In our town, it is usually an open house.  People can arrive and leave as they wish, usually it's about a 3-4 hour window.  There is food, cake, decorations & mingling.  Some people will have games set up in the backyard to occupy the little guests, but otherwise nothing is organized for group participation.  

This is what we did for dd last year.  I had a table full of mementos, her diploma (for nosey relatives), and a picture board of her through the years. We had a lot of yummy food, and some games set up/ cards/ etc.

There was a graduation ceremony in the local homeschool group, but it was a mess (big surprise) and ended up being two ceremonies for different factions, so we stayed out of that. Dd didn't want a cap and gown, or any sort of "show" (as she put it.) :D

• Like 1