Menu

Teen not taking meds

bluedarling

I've told my18yo he must take l-tryptophan for us to live with him, and he refuses, says he doesn't like the way it makes him feel.  I told him he must take it or find somewhere else to live (because the rest of us can't tolerate the aggressive behavior he exhibits when not on it), but he still has a year of high school left...that's really not practical.   What can I do to make a young adult take his meds?

• Like 1

Is this something prescribed or a supplement?  Maybe it really does make him feel strange. Ds got strange dreams from 5-HTP which has that ingredient in it. Can your ds be more specific as to how it makes him feel?

My own son balked at taking any meds for quite a while.  I talked privately with his health care provider and she first presented it to him as sort of an experiment to see how he would do for a month and then re-evaluate.  He ended up feeling better and continued to take it.  He is 16 now and it is really difficult as they get older to "make" them take anything.  He recently decided he didn't want to take his  med for sleep and his psychiatrist said it was ds's decision and did not try to pressure him to take it any longer.

It can help to have another outside person to help evaluate and help guide in the decision.  And  a lot of it can revolve around how the matter is presented to him, for example not pointing him out as a problem to be solved but how can we work this out together for everyone's well being.

Good luck to you!

Its a supplement prescribed by his doctor, and yes related to 5HTP that he's been on for around 8 years.  He says it makes him foggy, but his school performance was existent before he went off of it, and now he is not accomplishing anything. As an outside observer it is like he's now in a fog.

His doc (naturopath) told us he should NEVER go off of it...that his brain chemistry is just such that he will always need it. (It does calm the brain...and all his neurotransmitters are off the chart high...so I guess it does make him "foggy", but it also makes him functional and liveable with others.)   I can't make him do anything anymore...at all.  I guess I just wait until things are back to being bad enough its worth kicking him out, but I'm not willing to go back to the ways things once were!  Its a distant memory I'd rather forget...one that was extremely difficult on all family members.  There are scars being reopened, now.

It's a tough situation, because you can't force him to take it, and yet if he has to move out he likely won't finish school.  I would talk to him specifically about how it is making him feel, if this was prescribed he needs to talk to the prescribing dr about alternatives, if it is a supplement then he needs to take the dr about other options anyway.  

My 16 year old is on a cocktail of meds, he was balking at it for a bit, and doing what he could to pocket them etc.  absolutely horrible for him not to take them. 2 things happened to change it, we were going through some new neurodevelopmental testing, and the dr is one that is used as an expert in courts when determining if someone if fit to stand trial or to decide if someone meets group home criteria etc.  SO that put a fear in son, that this dr could have him committed.  Secondly I had him keep a journal first of him off the meds, his moods throughout the day, how many times he got into an argument, how many times he got violent, his motivation to get things done, if he got dressed that day etc.   After a few hellish weeks I had him start the meds again and then journal how he was feeling each day, motivation, trouble he was in etc again.  He was able to visually see the difference.  He has been taking his night time meds without problem now, because he knows the difference they make, and not jsut because I said so.  His daytime ones if the newest battle (concerta for his adhd).  His bedtime ones were the mood stabilizer, anti depressants and antipsychotic so of uber importance.  We are going to do the same "experiment" with his daytime meds to help him see the actual difference they make.

Our problem wasn't that they made him feel weird it was that he just thought he didn't need them, that he was just fine and it was everyone else who had a problem etc.  On the meds, he is mostly pleasant, helpful and can make friends.

My son will turn 18 the first day of grade 12 and I am worried about what will happen at that point because if he starts refusing his meds there is nothing I can do short of kicking him out, but then I know he won't finish his education.  Hoping by then he is firmly committed to staying on the meds for his own wellbeing.

• Like 5

Its a supplement prescribed by his doctor, and yes related to 5HTP that he's been on for around 8 years. He says it makes him foggy, but his school performance was existent before he went off of it, and now he is not accomplishing anything. As an outside observer it is like he's now in a fog.

His doc (naturopath) told us he should NEVER go off of it...that his brain chemistry is just such that he will always need it. (It does calm the brain...and all his neurotransmitters are off the chart high...so I guess it does make him "foggy", but it also makes him functional and liveable with others.) I can't make him do anything anymore...at all. I guess I just wait until things are back to being bad enough its worth kicking him out, but I'm not willing to go back to the ways things once were! Its a distant memory I'd rather forget...one that was extremely difficult on all family members. There are scars being reopened, now.

It sounds like it's been a long road for you and your family. It also sounds like another option needs to be sought for his treatment. We should all have the ability to tell our doctor when someone isn't working for us and to ask for another solution. If that's not an option with your doctor, then seek a second opinion. Your doctor, may or may not be correct.

I'd be hesitant to not listen to my child when he says that a supplement/ med makes him feel poorly, especially since he has had no trouble taking his other supplement.

Best wishes as you work this out.

• Like 1

Its a supplement prescribed by his doctor, and yes related to 5HTP that he's been on for around 8 years.  He says it makes him foggy, but his school performance was existent before he went off of it, and now he is not accomplishing anything. As an outside observer it is like he's now in a fog.

His doc (naturopath) told us he should NEVER go off of it...that his brain chemistry is just such that he will always need it. (It does calm the brain...and all his neurotransmitters are off the chart high...so I guess it does make him "foggy", but it also makes him functional and liveable with others.)   I can't make him do anything anymore...at all.  I guess I just wait until things are back to being bad enough its worth kicking him out, but I'm not willing to go back to the ways things once were!  Its a distant memory I'd rather forget...one that was extremely difficult on all family members.  There are scars being reopened, now.

I would pursue a full evaluation with both his MD/DO PCP (FM, IM or Peds) to exclude organic causes and then psychiatry for medication evaluation. I personally would be quite wary to push anyone to take supplements recommended by a naturopath.  I realize that some people feel more comfortable using supplements over medications that have actually been through the FDA approval process but I really think this is a false security for most.  Good luck!

• Like 2

I would pursue a full evaluation with both his MD/DO PCP (FM, IM or Peds) to exclude organic causes and then psychiatry for medication evaluation. I personally would be quite wary to push anyone to take supplements recommended by a naturopath.  I realize that some people feel more comfortable using supplements over medications that have actually been through the FDA approval process but I really think this is a false security for most.  Good luck!

I totally agree here.  I would seek out a top notch adolescent psychiatrist to do an evaluation and then have the basic full physical done to check for anemia, thyroid, blood sugars, Vit B and D levels, urinalysis, etc.  If all of those are clear, then you have a good baseline if you start meds.  If something comes up, then you look at treating that as well.

We use supplements here ALONG with medication but in our case, supplements alone are NOT enough.  Some of them do cause a brain fog, etc.

Would your son agree to seeing a different doctor to find a different medication/treatment to help with less side effects?  Try to stay on the same team as much as you can instead of you vs. him.

• Like 3

read the update.  I see it was a naturopath that prescribed it, has he gone to an actual psychiatrist for treatment?  Would he function better without the brain fog if he tried a different med rather than just a supplement?

Many years ago we tried the med route, and it was what convinced us to go the more natural route.  The drugs he tried with a pyschiatrist were scary...we've never had the huge ups and downs like with meds.  The natural route didn't help as much, but it was enough to level him out.  There is certainly no way I would convince him to try that route again!    This route has worked for many years, and I seriously doubt it affects him more now.  Mostly he just decided he's fine without it, but his definition of fine and mine don't agree.

It sounds like it's been a long road for you and your family. It also sounds like another option needs to be sought for his treatment. We should all have the ability to tell our doctor when someone isn't working for us and to ask for another solution. If that's not an option with your doctor, then seek a second opinion. Your doctor, may or may not be correct.

I'd be hesitant to not listen to my child when he says that a supplement/ med makes him feel poorly, especially since he has had no trouble taking his other supplement.

Best wishes as you work this out.

I was not clear in the way I wrote it.  He doesn't take 5HTP, just L-Trypt.  (He has stopped all his medications...not just this.  This is just the only one that I'm insistent he take.)

I think I would start with getting him together with a medical team that he is willing to trust and work with as an adult.  Going forward, there will be nothing you can do unless he is in bad enough shape to be declared incompetent.  So my focus would be on finding a medical team that he will  agree to see and get that trust relationship built. 

• Like 4

I totally agree here.  I would seek out a top notch adolescent psychiatrist to do an evaluation and then have the basic full physical done to check for anemia, thyroid, blood sugars, Vit B and D levels, urinalysis, etc.  If all of those are clear, then you have a good baseline if you start meds.  If something comes up, then you look at treating that as well.

We use supplements here ALONG with medication but in our case, supplements alone are NOT enough.  Some of them do cause a brain fog, etc.

Would your son agree to seeing a different doctor to find a different medication/treatment to help with less side effects?  Try to stay on the same team as much as you can instead of you vs. him.

Our naturopath has checked all the physical stuff...thyroid and d3 are among the other meds he stopped, but those issues were mild and she said if wanted to try stopping them he could.  I'm fine with him stopping those, just not l-trypt.

Trying to stay on the same team is difficult when he is argumentative and hostile/raging with siblings and myself!  (Who wants to be on that team?)  But I will try.  Its hard to do when he doesn't admit there is an issue, and gets defensive if I (or anyone) suggest there is.  I really don't think he'll even see his doc.  Today was a bit better, though.  I haven't kicked him out, yet, and am willing to give him another chance or two.  The funny thing is that I was telling someone how I figured my husband would kick him out the first time he pulled anything...but it wasn't my husband who lost it...it was me!

I liked the suggestion upthread of a log...I don't know if I could get cooperation for that or not, but its worth a shot!

If he is opposed to drugs/supplements, has he tried running or similar intense exercise... this time of year that would help with D3 and exercise has clinical trials showing similar efficacy to SSRIs. Since l-trytophan->5-htp->serotonin is the suspected primary mechanism for l-tryptophan, any activities that modulate the serotonin pathways might be helpful...

For us, a GFCF diet certainly hasn't cured but has taken the edge off anxiety symptoms with DS. Maybe something else to ask your naturopath about... though introducing that with a oppositional teen may be impossible.

Many years ago we tried the med route, and it was what convinced us to go the more natural route.  The drugs he tried with a pyschiatrist were scary...we've never had the huge ups and downs like with meds.  The natural route didn't help as much, but it was enough to level him out.  There is certainly no way I would convince him to try that route again!    This route has worked for many years, and I seriously doubt it affects him more now.  Mostly he just decided he's fine without it, but his definition of fine and mine don't agree.

Who prescribed the meds?  How closely was he monitored?  Did he have a neuropsych eval at the time?

Just wondering as the WRONG meds can make things worse but I would certainly follow up with a psychiatrist for an eval if the behaviors are such that he is a danger to have at home and at a risk of being kicked out.

I can understand it being hard to work together.  I have one with pretty severe mental illness.........now thankfully very stable on meds, but NOT taking meds is NOT an option in our house.

• Like 2

If he is opposed to drugs/supplements, has he tried running or similar intense exercise... this time of year that would help with D3 and exercise has clinical trials showing similar efficacy to SSRIs. Since l-trytophan->5-htp->serotonin is the suspected primary mechanism for l-tryptophan, any activities that modulate the serotonin pathways might be helpful...

For us, a GFCF diet certainly hasn't cured but has taken the edge off anxiety symptoms with DS. Maybe something else to ask your naturopath about... though introducing that with a oppositional teen may be impossible.

I have been trying to get him to exercise for PE credit, and it will be difficult to call it a half-credit.  He's also quite underweight, so we are limiting his exercise to strength building (he did gain a few pounds this year!)  However, intense exercise has been suggested before when he was younger (I was never able to get his cooperation for it.)  He does like lifting weights, though.

We tried GFCF a couple years ago.  I was the only family member with a noticeable improvement. (I am now GF/sugar free.)  He is dye free, preservative free and MSG free. ( I required it when he was younger, but now he follows the diet by his choice.  He notices his infractions.  And he had drank Coke this weekend during an overnighter, which may have contributed to the difficult week.  However, infractions while on l-trypt were far less noticeable to me.)  However, it is a good point that perhaps further diet restrictions might help!

Who prescribed the meds?  How closely was he monitored?  Did he have a neuropsych eval at the time?

Just wondering as the WRONG meds can make things worse but I would certainly follow up with a psychiatrist for an eval if the behaviors are such that he is a danger to have at home and at a risk of being kicked out.

I can understand it being hard to work together.  I have one with pretty severe mental illness.........now thankfully very stable on meds, but NOT taking meds is NOT an option in our house.

A pychiatrist (in the area we lived previously)...actually tried to different ones with similar results.  Closely monitored.  No, no neuropsych eval.  He was giving meds for bipolar, even though I knew that wasn't a good fit to describe him.  I inquired about autism at the time, but the psych was not certified to diagnose it and couldn't direct us to anyone to help.  My son got his dx as a teen (while on l-trypt), now that we live in a better area for care.

A pychiatrist (in the area we lived previously)...actually tried to different ones with similar results.  Closely monitored.  No, no neuropsych eval.  He was giving meds for bipolar, even though I knew that wasn't a good fit to describe him.  I inquired about autism at the time, but the psych was not certified to diagnose it and couldn't direct us to anyone to help.  My son got his dx as a teen (while on l-trypt), now that we live in a better area for care.

I feel for you, but I think at your ds's age he needs to begin to develop a relationship with a medical team that he trusts so that he is more invested in his treatment for his adult years when he will have to manage all of this by himself. It seems to me it might be worth visiting a psychiatrist again. It's possible that he has to put up with a supplement or medication that has side effects but it seems as though it's too early to have to settle for that. If it's been years since he has tried medication and he's seventeen, his body and hormones are very different from before and he might find something that works for him without unbearable side effects.

• Like 1