Menu

Curriculum hopping (RANT)

Argh! C's school just sent home a note that they'll be starting a new math program later this week. It's Eureka Math, and it's what they'll use school-wide next year. They've had their current math program since his 2nd grade class was in K, so it was clearly time for a change. And it's not like their current math program is horrible. I don't like that they wait with multiplication until 3rd grade, but that seems standard in the US. Ugh. The district also suddenly changed their reading program mid-year in February. On the bright side, I can stop agonizing over this BS since I already sent in my notice of intent to homeschool next year. But still. They're my tax dollars. The teachers were all complaining about the sudden change in reading program, and I bet it'll be the same with math (from what I know, the teachers liked the current math program and weren't dying for a change). How do they expect to educate kids if they demotivate teachers by jerking them around all the time? :willy_nilly:

My kids' school changed their math program when my kids entered 1st, and when they entered 3rd they started new curricula for reading/LA, science, and social studies.  Not to mention the new testing and other changes.  They definitely suffered from the learning curve.

This seems ridiculous.  My only guess is that they want everyone to get a taste of the curriculum before they use it next year.

I have a degree in teaching, but I don't know if I could teach in a school when the homeschooling years are over.  I like the freedom of choosing my own curriculum based on the needs of the students and on my teaching style.

I feel sorry for the kids, teachers, and parents who have to go through this.

• 2 weeks later...