Menu

Repercussions of Common Core - Pushing Alg I back to 9th grade

The math sequence hasn't changed much around here. When I was a child, everyone in elementary school (K-6) did math with their class. There weren't any exceptions. In 7th grade, tracking started with Math 7, Adv Math 7, and honors pre-algebra.

Similarly, in our district today, middle school 6th graders all take one class and 7th grade begins tracking students into "transition math", math 7 and pre-algebra. It's pretty much the same. I'm not sure if some radically accelerated kids are flying under the radar, but both in the 1980's and today the math sequence hasn't changed much.

Interestingly, in Poland where I used to teach, all kids without exception take math with their classmates until 8th grade. The tracking comes in high school with kids going to vocational, technical or academic schools.

There's a lot of ways to teach and learn math. I really don't believe that only one scope & sequence is ideal.

Nonremedial students here are not offered enough classes to fill the schedule, unless they choose performing arts. They have to take at least one study hall. Seniors have 3 classes, 5 study halls unless they fill with performing arts or take classes off campus.

Study hall is not offered here as a class option. It does not exist. I think there are many states where that is the case.

• Like 1

Is LAUSD basic aid?  My district is basic aid and hates changes so we haven't seen any change so far.  They just purchase the common core edition of algebra 1, geometry and algebra 2 and then continue business as usual :lol:   44% of prop tax goes to K-12, 7% of prop tax to community colleges.

I'm not very knowledgable about the funding of the school district. It is pretty complex, being the second largest in the nation, and with many Title 1 schools.

I know the district received allowance from the State of CA to have an "alternative accelerated pathway," but also wants to limit it to a tiny fraction of students. I'm told very few districts have the possibility as an option.

My hope is schools find the right balance. So the desire to teach for depth is truly realized, and not just a "talking point," and that students are not rushed through with superficial knowledge just to say they completed Math Course X. At the same time it would be a shame to have students languish for a year being bored (at an age when boredom is a killer) for no reason other than a new ideology sweeping the scene.

Ww will see.

Bill

I'm not very knowledgable about the funding of the school district. It is pretty complex, being the second largest in the nation, and with many Title 1 schools.

I know the district received allowance from the State of CA to have an "alternative accelerated pathway," but also wants to limit it to a tiny fraction of students. I'm told very few districts have the possibility as an option.

My hope is schools find the right balance. So the desire to teach for depth is truly realized, and not just a "talking point," and that students are not rushed through with superficial knowledge just to say they completed Math Course X. At the same time it would be a shame to have students languish for a year being bored (at an age when boredom is a killer) for no reason other than a new ideology sweeping the scene.

Ww will see.

Bill

What's the reasoning behind limiting which districts have this option? LAUSD may be bigger than all of the other districts, but it can't be the only district that deals with gifted middle schoolers who need more challenge (says the girl who spent her middle school years in a very rural area of CA). I just don't understand why it can't be left up to the individual school districts to make that call. Don't we have enough respect for our individual superintendents (& principals) as professional educators to allow them to make those decisions based on their students' needs?

For that matter, why does LAUSD want to limit it to a "tiny fraction of students"? That's a strange goal! Don't we want the "alternative accelerated pathway" to be available to all qualified students?

This kind of ideological and bureaucratic nonsense makes me crazy!

• Like 5

What's the reasoning behind limiting which districts have this option? LAUSD may be bigger than all of the other districts, but it can't be the only district that deals with gifted middle schoolers who need more challenge (says the girl who spent her middle school years in a very rural area of CA). I just don't understand why it can't be left up to the individual school districts to make that call. Don't we have enough respect for our individual superintendents (& principals) as professional educators to allow them to make those decisions based on their students' needs?

For that matter, why does LAUSD want to limit it to a "tiny fraction of students"? That's a strange goal! Don't we want the "alternative accelerated pathway" to be available to all qualified students?

This kind of ideological and bureaucratic nonsense makes me crazy!

I do not know why districts like San Francisco have no exemptions. I suspect it is because they've fully partaken of the Common Core Kool-Aid. 

I'm generally supportive of Common Core. Certainly teaching for depth (if it actually happens) and having children be able to explain their reasoning are things I've been talking about on this forum way before I heard of Common Core. But I've also lived long enough to have seen educational movements swing wildly to extremes. I'm sure some members here homeschool partially to get away from such things. 

The LAUSD seems conflicted. They've preached the mantra of differentiation for so long that even they seem aware that denying gifted students a pathway is a problem, and they know how much heat they'd get if they closed it. But they are trying to make this part a small fraction of the total. I'm sure they think it is for the best, and for most they may be right. but they are messing with a tiny program in a massive district (with serious problems that don't involve students being "too advanced") so I think they might better spend their time fixing problems that are real and serious, and less time disrupting things that are working.

Bill 

• Like 1

depends on how they choose to implement it/size of the school/skill of the teachers

Our zoned middle schools has ~400 kids/grade.  That's 13-14 math classes per grade.  If 1 or 2 of those classes were Algebra 1 instead of Pre-A, it wouldn't require any additional teachers.  However, it would require a teach capable of teaching A1.

If you have a little school, like the one I attended, with 60 kids/grade it is a lot harder to dedicate a teacher for the 5-10 kids ready for the class.

No but what I'm saying is they went from 2 middle schools to 8. 

But it's still an odd argument to me.  I mean really a math teacher can't teach algebra?  They need special teachers for that?  But that's how they explained it through their communications to the citizens in the city. 

This is a personal opinion, informed by what I was told by admissions counselors and the my son's high school college prep advisor:

Topline: MOST colleges care far more THAT students have had 4 years of math than the specifics of what the math courses were. In this scenario, AlgI, Geom, Alg2, PreCalc is a completely respectable math sequence. That allows for starting AlgebraI in Grade9.

The counselor told me that some colleges PREFER this sequence because the students have started upper math at a mature age, and have been more likely to have grasped it. That Calculus takes 2 years to complete, anyway, at the high school level, and that even so, most college freshmen have to take it again anyway.

The problem that can arise with starting AlgebraI too early is two-fold: 1) Some students are too immature. and 2), Some students burn out of math too soon, which leaves them without *four years* (as in the four recent years) of high school math. Some schools are really unimpressed with a no-math year in the senior year...even if the student got through Calculus by his/her junior year.

When you are making a path, do what is right for your student; there is plenty of time to complete a respectable math sequence, and perhaps even a preferable one, even if a student starts AlgebraI in the 9th grade.

Bravo! I am in counselor education masters prigr and have worked at UC Berkeley and a community college. Honestly I do not know why parents feel they must have their kids on this fast track for math. Colleges in CA as well as most out of state and private, are generally not going to dismiss a candidate for having only 3 years of college prep math. Alg, Alg 2, & geometry are sufficient. They can take calculus or stats in college. After all if they have taken every advanced course offered what will they take in college anyhow? If the kid lives math, excels in it and is thinking of a stem major / career I agree taking alg in 7th or 8th should be an available option, but if they are not, and particularly if they are more into social science and humanities I would say taking alg over 2 year frosh / soph or alg 1 sophomore year is not a big deal.

By the way I got b's all the way through in alg 1 & 2 and geometry. I knew I wouldn't do well in precal and didn't need it so senior year I took business accounting and econ. I went in to go to Berkeley and took stats in college. Went on to get a masters. Again not saying kids who are in 7/8 shouldn't take it but I are no need for a push to take it that young across the board. Developmentally I would say more kids are probably not ready until 15 than those ready at 12.

I'm very sympathetic to the idea that students should not be pushed into classes that are beyond their means, or that acceleration across the board is necessarily a positive. If CC really delivers on teaching for depth vs racing though material on a superficial level. I will be a happy man.

On the other hand, what might not be good policy "across the board" for all students, might be just the thing for a math adept kid. I'd be more concerned about next year if my son were required to take Math 6 rather than 6/7, as I think boredom might set in. The key IMO is to find an appropriate level of challenge for individual students. I think we were fortunate to find the right program for our child. Finding that right fit is something I'd wish for every student and family. I don't think there is a magic formula, or that it is a race, and that we should make decisions on what is in the interest of the student. That will vary considerably.

Go Bears!

Bill

• Like 5

I'm very sympathetic to the idea that students should not be pushed into classes that are beyond their means, or that acceleration across the board is necessarily a positive. If CC really delivers on teaching for depth vs racing though material on a superficial level. I will be a happy man.

On the other hand, what might not be good policy "across the board" for all students, might be just the thing for a math adept kid. I'd be more concerned about next year if my son were required to take Math 6 rather than 6/7, as I think boredom might set in. The key IMO is to find an appropriate level of challenge for individual students. I think we were fortunate to find the right program for our child. Finding that right fit is something I'd wish for every student and family. I don't think there is a magic formula, or that it is a race, and that we should make decisions on what is in the interest of the student. That will vary considerably.

Go Bears!

Bill

I totally agree.  Here they have 100,000 services for students who need extra help, are behind, have any sort of learning issue, etc.  Every time anyone suggests more programming for accelerated students a lot of people get angry because they say that's something that would not be available to everyone.  Special services aren't available to those who don't need them either.

I don't understand this thinking.  They have varsity sports.  Not everyone can make the varsity team.  People don't seem to have a problem with that fact.  Not entirely the same I realize, but the fact is different people have different abilities.  Why is there so little effort put into meeting the needs of accelerated students?  Wouldn't we want that some people are accelerated?  These might be the people who solve big problems.  I guess people assume they'll be fine.  That's simply not always true. 

• Like 8

Oh but the stupid burns in the other direction as well.  I've listened to special education teachers talk about how they are supposed to teach algebra to their students who struggle with the most basic skills because common core dictates that if a student is in such and such grade, they must be taught algebra. 

I guess people assume they'll be fine. That's simply not always true.

It's the teachers who have to put up with bored kids that "make paper airplanes and fly them in the classroom". Bored kids act up and I received my fair share of complaints about my kids.

Also I do know a few selfish moms who don't want gifted programs in schools but would source for the best "enrichment" for their kids. There are also a few dog in the manger parents.

• Like 2

I must plead my ignorance, I live in Texas. Texas implemented the new TEKS this year for K-8.  Alg-Precal TEKS will be implemented in the fall.  

I honestly don't understand what is different about the new TEKS and how the TEKS compare to CC.

In our district,  the accelerated math starts in 6th grade and preAP Algebra I is taken in

8th grade. A kid can accelerate to take Alg in 7th grade by credit by exam only. Also to get high school credit for then Alg can not be taken any earlier than 7th grade.

Can kids in CA take Credit by exam to accelerate with common core? 

I totally agree.  Here they have 100,000 services for students who need extra help, are behind, have any sort of learning issue, etc.  Every time anyone suggests more programming for accelerated students a lot of people get angry because they say that's something that would not be available to everyone.  Special services aren't available to those who don't need them either.

I don't understand this thinking.  They have varsity sports.  Not everyone can make the varsity team.  People don't seem to have a problem with that fact.  Not entirely the same I realize, but the fact is different people have different abilities.  Why is there so little effort put into meeting the needs of accelerated students?  Wouldn't we want that some people are accelerated?  These might be the people who solve big problems.  I guess people assume they'll be fine.  That's simply not always true. 

The other thing about this program is there is no special funding for this. The teachers who run and teach the program also teach math classes to the general population, and get no extra pay or compensation from the district for all the time and effort they put in to creating an accelerated program for math adept kids. They do it because they really love to teach. In an age where it is easy to be cynical, that's cool.

To help support the program parents will be asked to contribute to the "Friends" organization according to their means, and $500 is the asking donation. Any monies raised to purchase things like SmartBoards and computers will benefit the whole school, as all the "academy" teachers also teach general classes and the items will be used for both. To the best of my knowledge the school district is not spending an extra dime on this program.

Bill

• Like 3

I must plead my ignorance, I live in Texas. Texas implemented the new TEKS this year for K-8.  Alg-Precal TEKS will be implemented in the fall.  

I honestly don't understand what is different about the new TEKS and how the TEKS compare to CC.

In our district,  the accelerated math starts in 6th grade and preAP Algebra I is taken in

8th grade. A kid can accelerate to take Alg in 7th grade by credit by exam only. Also to get high school credit for then Alg can not be taken any earlier than 7th grade.

Can kids in CA take Credit by exam to accelerate with common core? 

I don't want to misinform, and am not an expert in this, but the following is my best understanding. 

There is no "credit by exam" per se. Rather students who wish to accelerate (as of this year) need to pass a test showing "proficiency" in the math they would encounter in the coming year (that is a graduating 5th Grader/rising 6th Grader would have to score "proficient" in 6th Grade math to accelerate. The "standard" accelerated pathway has students take 6th Grade Math in 6th (so no acceleration that year), 7th Grade math and half of CC Algebra 1 in 7th, and the other half of CC Algebra 1 and all of CC Geometry in 8th. Most all CA is limited to this pathway. A few schools in LA will do the "alternative accelerated" pathway 6/7, CC Algebra 1, and CC Geometry in 6,7, and 8. They get to the same place,. They just jam up the harder classes, and waste 6th Grade (IMO) in the "normal" accelerated pathway.

I believe students need to take an exit exam in Algebra for it to count toward High School credit (and to advance). I don't think this is the case for Geometry, but I'm not sure.

Bill

• Like 1

I don't want to misinform, and am not an expert in this, but the following is my best understanding.

There is no "credit by exam" per se. Rather students who wish to accelerate (as of this year) need to pass a test showing "proficiency" in the math they would encounter in the coming year (that is a graduating 5th Grader/rising 6th Grader would have to score "proficient" in 6th Grade math to accelerate. The "standard" accelerated pathway has students take 6th Grade Math in 6th (so no acceleration that year), 7th Grade math and half of CC Algebra 1 in 7th, and the other half of CC Algebra 1 and all of CC Geometry in 8th. Most all CA is limited to this pathway. A few schools in LA will do the "alternative accelerated" pathway 6/7, CC Algebra 1, and CC Geometry in 6,7, and 8. They get to the same place,. They just jam up the harder classes, and waste 6th Grade (IMO) in the "normal" accelerated pathway.

I believe students need to take an exit exam in Algebra for it to count toward High School credit (and to advance). I don't think this is the case for Geometry, but I'm not sure.

Bill

Out of curiosity, do all kids in your district take algebra in 8th? Or the accelerated pathway skip 8th grade math?

Out of curiosity, do all kids in your district take algebra in 8th? Or the accelerated pathway skip 8th grade math?

The new CC standards are for most student to now take CC Agebra 1 in 9th Grade.

Accelerated students no longer "skip," CC Math 7 or 8, they are compacted into other classes according to the district.

Bill

Nonremedial students here are not offered enough classes to fill the schedule, unless they choose performing arts. They have to take at least one study hall. Seniors have 3 classes, 5 study halls unless they fill with performing arts or take classes off campus.

Do u know live in NY, do u know what is the policy taking 2 science or math class in one school year in high school. Is that allowed?

The new CC standards are for most student to now take CC Agebra 1 in 9th Grade.

Accelerated students no longer "skip," CC Math 7 or 8, they are compacted into other classes according to the district.

Bill

So when u say 6/7. It is really 6/7/8 combined? not like there is much new topics in that 3 years but still sound a lot to combine. So your district doesn't accelerate kids at younger grade in elementary? around here, you got to get the 1st acceleration in elementary to even get considered to get into double acceleration.

It is kinda interesting how differnt area does things so differently.

It's the teachers who have to put up with bored kids that "make paper airplanes and fly them in the classroom". Bored kids act up and I received my fair share of complaints about my kids.

^^^^this was me from about 5th grade until high school where I got to finally take some advanced courses.

So when u say 6/7. It is really 6/7/8 combined? not like there is much new topics in that 3 years but still sound a lot to combine. So your district doesn't accelerate kids at younger grade in elementary? around here, you got to get the 1st acceleration in elementary to even get considered to get into double acceleration.

It is kinda interesting how differnt area does things so differently.

No. Sorry to be unclear. The more accelerated pathway is 6/7 in 6th, CC Algebra 1/Math 8 in 7th, and CC Geometry in 8th.

No acceleration in elementary schools, other than the odd teacher who adds stuff. Our kids had an optional enrichment class before school this year (5th Grade) to prepare those who were considering acceleration in Middle School (we are at an elementary with many highly achieving students) but this is not typical, or part of an official policy. Another caring teacher volunteers her time to help students get into good Middle School programs.

Bill

• Like 1

Is LAUSD basic aid? My district is basic aid and hates changes so we haven't seen any change so far. They just purchase the common core edition of algebra 1, geometry and algebra 2 and then continue business as usual :lol: 44% of prop tax goes to K-12, 7% of prop tax to community colleges.

No LAUSD is not Basic Aid. Only about 10% of school districts in California are Basic Aid (they can fully fund their public schools from property taxes without getting money from the State of Ca, and as a reward they get to keep any extra money). Basic aid districts tend to be small school districts in affluent areas with not many (or no) children per household. So a school district like Montecito Elementary (the area in Santa Barbara where stars like Oprah have houses) gets $24,000 per pupil while most districts get less than 10,000 per pupil.

I just looked up how many students in CA took Algebra 1 in 7th grade in 2013 (from STAR test results / State standardized test)

In CA about 9% took Alg. 1 in 7th/ 60% in 8th.

I also looked up certain districts and found the percentage of 7th graders taking Alg 1 in 7th grade and 8th:

Los Angeles USD = 11% in 7th grade/ 58% in 8th grade

San Diego Unified = 12% in 7th / 69% in 8th

San Francisco Unified = 0.2% in 7th / 85% in 8th

Cupertino Unified (in Silicon Valley) 30% in 7th / 61 % in 8th

My local school district = 0.4% in 7th/ 46% in 8th (ugh!!!!!!!!!!!)

I just looked up how many students in CA took Algebra 1 in 7th grade in 2013 (from STAR test results / State standardized test)

In CA about 9% took Alg. 1 in 7th/ 60% in 8th.

I also looked up certain districts and found the percentage of 7th graders taking Alg 1 in 7th grade and 8th:

Los Angeles USD = 11% in 7th grade/ 58% in 8th grade

San Diego Unified = 12% in 7th / 69% in 8th

San Francisco Unified = 0.2% in 7th / 85% in 8th

Cupertino Unified (in Silicon Valley) 30% in 7th / 61 % in 8th

My local school district = 0.4% in 7th/ 46% in 8th (ugh!!!!!!!!!!!)

This would reflect the old pre-Common Core pathway, yes? 

Bill

Looking at how these school districts are dealing with Common Core Math for accelerated students:

LAUSD

Top 0.5 % of students will have 5 years of math compacted into 3 years starting in 6th grade. So the take Alg. 1 in 7th, Geom. in 8th, Alg 2 in 9th, Pre-Calc in 10th and Calc. in 11th.

Other accelerated students will start Alg. In 8th grade and get to Cal. in 12th.

San Diego

Start Integrated Math 1 in 8th grade and compact 4 years if math into 3. Take Calculus in 11th or 12th grade

San Francisco

No accelerated program, no honors classes in math. All students take the same Common Core classes in grades 7,8,9 and 10. Alg. starts in grade 9. In 11th grade students can compact Alg. 2 and Pre-Calculus into one year and take a Calculus in 12th grade.

Cupertino Union

Five years of math is compacted into three years starting in 6th grade, so students are done with Alg. 1 and Geometry by 8th grade.

My local district

No student can take Alg.1 before 9th grade (which is wrapped up in Integrated Math course 1). They do have separate honors classes for CC Math, 6, 7, and 8, but there is no way to start taking any class sooner.

So it seems like districts that allowed students to be accelerated by taking Alg. 1 in 7th are the ones that are allowing some compaction of some CC classes so students can take Alg.1 or the first course of integrated math by 7th or 8th grade.

So it seems like districts that allowed students to be accelerated by taking Alg. 1 in 7th are the ones that are allowing some compaction of some CC classes so students can take Alg.1 or the first course of integrated math by 7th or 8th grade.

Districts like mine rather maintain the status quo than have angry parents at the district office protesting and town hall meetings that last past midnight.

• Like 1

Colleges in CA as well as most out of state and private, are generally not going to dismiss a candidate for having only 3 years of college prep math.

A few Google searches show that many colleges, even in California,  do indeed look for four years of college prep math.

CALTECH 

Secondary School Academic Preparation • 4 years of Math (including Calculus) • 1 year of Physics • 1 year of Chemistry • 3 years of English (4 years recommended) • 1 year of U.S. History/Government (waived for international students

UCLA  

Applicants are expected to have completed the following minimum subject requirements: 2 years History/Social Science; 4 years of college preparatory English; 3 years of mathematics (4 years recommended); 2 years of laboratory science (3 years recommended); 2 years of Language other than English (3 years recommended); 1 year of Visual and Performing Arts (if available).

Boston College:  

We recommend that students pursue four years of coursework in English, social science, mathematics, foreign language, and laboratory science.

USAFA:  

• four years of math (strong background in geometry, algebra, trigonometry and pre-calculus)

MIT:  

• Math, through calculus

Harvard:  

• The study of mathematics for four years, including the particular topics described
  • Like 2

Bravo! I am in counselor education masters prigr and have worked at UC Berkeley and a community college. Honestly I do not know why parents feel they must have their kids on this fast track for math. Colleges in CA as well as most out of state and private, are generally not going to dismiss a candidate for having only 3 years of college prep math. Alg, Alg 2, & geometry are sufficient. .

This is just flat out wrong. Most 4 year colleges will dismiss a kid for having only 3 years of college prep math. Cal State Universities, which generally are not as competitive as the UC's state on their website for college planning that they recommend 4 years of college prep math:

Math (4 years recommended) including Algebra I, Geometry, Algebra II, or higher mathematics (take one each year)

I don't think colleges will dismiss you if you don't get to Calculus if most students at your school don't get to Calculus. California has been pushing for Algebra to be taken in 8th grade and the majority of California 8th graders took Algebra 1 (not now with CC, but in the past five years). So if you delay Algebra until 10th grade you are now two years behind most students in California. Taking Alg. 1 in 9th and three more years of math might be fine but any less than really isn't sufficient. 

ETA: I think most students will be fine if they take the math path most college bound students are taking at their high school because colleges realized most students can only take what their school offers.  I am not happy my local school district now only offers CC Integrated Math 1 (mix of Alg. and Geo) in 9th grade with no opportunity for compaction/acceleration. However, if my kids are in Honors Integrated Math 1 in 9th grade they can reach Calculus by 12th grade. So they will be behind other kids in other school districts who can get to Calculus in 11th grade or even 10th , but since there is opportunity for any other pathway I think it will be fine. 

• Like 3

Yes, to this post 1000 times over! I had the same experience you did, being put in the cubicle doing more advanced math and checking in with the teacher once per week, or more often if I needed it. It wasn't the ideal solution, but it was option to deal with the kid who needed more than was offered in the classroom.

My own kids' experience was completely different; the school was completely unwilling to push children ahead in English language skills, which is where my kids particularly excel. There is a pervasive feeling that all kids must be on the same track, regardless of how inappropriate that track is. No solution that a parent proposed was considered adequate. I do believe you're right, that this is a deliberate attempt to keep both kids in the same grouping.

Well...back in the 70's, they stuck me in a cubicle for math -- which I did on my own, out of a book. There were no extra individuals assigned or available. Oh, and I had to check my own work, too (I had to go sit by the teacher's desk to do it). That was the only alternative to having me sit with the class back then. It was the best they could do, but it was SOMETHING.

IMO, this "no time and no budget" is an excuse. Schools probably have more resources available than ever before (with computer labs and other tech available), and where there is a will, there is a way. There are many options that are flat-out ignored today. It is a pervasive belief against differentiation and acceleration that is held by many educators and administrators (who have zero training or knowledge about GT needs), and then they conveniently blame budgets. I've seen it happen. The budget/resources get blamed, but when a parent steps up and tries to help figure out a way around the problem, they are shut down completely. This pervasive attitude and philosophy is not new. I experienced the backlash against GT programs in CA in the early 80's at a private school. It was AWFUL. I've seen that attitude grow over the years -- and I believe what is being described here is more of that same thing.

ETA: One reason for keeping the kids all at the same level, is because of testing. The tests my kids had to take when enrolled at a VA on-line charter were based upon grade level, not learning level. So, ds #1 and dd #2 were 2 years ahead in math, science, history and English at the time. While he was learning Y, he was being tested on X. By keeping the kids together all at the same level, they can ensure that the information on the TEST will be repeated ad-nauseum. Actual learning be damned , but the kid will bring up the average test scores!

• Like 1

In my kids' Middle School 

Before Common Core:

6th  - 3 tracks; advanced math, intermediate math and then a basic level math.

7th  - Pre-Algebra, intermediate 7th grade math and a basic 7th grade math

8th - Algebra, Pre-Algebra, 8th grade math

After Common Core:

Exactly the same but with Common Core versions of the same curriculum.

It's pretty much the same in our district.

6th grade : advanced math starting pre-Algebra for last 3 months of school year, intermediate math, basic math

7th grade: finish pre-Algebra and start Algebra for last 3 months of school year, pre-Algebra, basic math

8th grade: finish Algebra and start some Geometry last 3 months of the school year, Algebra, pre-Algebra

The advanced classes teach basically the same as the intermediate classes but at a faster rate, therefore they get through more material in a school year. I never really got that, I thought they should go deeper into the subject and not wider, but that's just my opinion.

There were also kids that went to the HS for math in 8th grade and started with Algebra II as freshman. Our district is pretty good about making sure you have support no matter what level you are at. In the high school there are freshman that start at Algebra I, Geometry and Algebra II. I even know of a few students that go to the community college to do math, they are that advanced. Common core hasn't changed any of that, but just perhaps the curriculum they are using, although I haven't even heard of those types of changes except at the elementary school level.

• Like 1