Menu

6th grade and finished with middle school science...what now?

My dd12 is finished with BFSU3, and I need 2 more years of science for the rest of middle school.  DD picks up science concepts quickly and is just starting geometry and is very solid on algebra.  I'd like to do some pre-AP level physics or chemistry or biology.   We are finishing up the year using Thinking Physics by Lewis Carroll Epstein, and will probably continue with his Relativity Visualized this summer.  

My questions for 7th and 8th grade science:

What subjects?  

What secular curriculum for a slightly accelerated science student?  

What else that's out of the box should we be considering for science the next 2 years?

If science is her thing, you may want to plot AP course paths. For example, if you want to take AP Bio, AP Chem, AP Physics, and say AP environmental science then look at what you need first. For both Bio and Chem you need some solid foundational chemistry. You need those plus foundational physics for Env Science. And Physics needs a foundational physics class. So I would suggest finding a high school Chem class for 7th and high school bio for 8th (if you plan AP bio and AP Env sci). If not then chem 7th and physics 8th. Or if you are really chomping do high school chem-bio-physics in 2 years. And be ready for your first AP class in 9th.

• Like 4

^^^ that is exactly what we are doing^^^. We took two years (4th and 5th) and covered an entry level high school chemistry text (Apologia, with the tiny bits of God-ish stuff removed). Next year we are going to begin two years of entry level high school physics (Apologia, minus the few God references). Physics will be sixth and seventh with prep to take AP Environmental science in 7th grade. That puts Ds at eighth grade for Biology so he can do AP Chem in 9th, AP Bio in 10th, and AP Physics in 11th. By looking at which AP's he wanted to take, we could adequately space the information so that he wasn't trying to cram a mountain of learning into one year and then lose it. The stress is so much lesser if you take the information and stretch it out! It also means the student can let it seep in and really make connections.

We have not found entry level high school texts very challenging, but actually at a very nice density level. It might take previewing a few, since their styles of writing and layout vary dramatically. Ds likes the conversational tone, the few problems with limited repetition, and very clean pages of Apologia (though we are using something entirely different for Biology as the religious content is significantly more prevalent in that text).

• Like 2

"baby" Campbell is a good intro biology text (it's the high school version of the Campbell's bio commonly used in college). It's quite doable by a bright middle school student.

http://smile.amazon.com/Biology-Exploring-Life-Neil-Campbell/dp/0132508826/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1431356181&sr=8-1&keywords=campbell+Exploring+life

Essential Biology is the Campbell/Reece book for non-major college students, and would also be accessible to a middle schooler who is strong at reading non-fiction, but it can be expensive if you want an edition that is less than 10 years old. DD10's bio mentor recommends Essential bio over the high school version because Essential bio didn't have to meet the requirements of school districts that are trying to please everyone, and therefore is more detailed when it comes to the evolutionary components of the class. 

smile.amazon.com/Biology-Exploring-Life-Neil-Campbell/dp/0132508826/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1431356181&sr=8-1&keywords=campbell+Exploring+life

Neither book is written to prepare for the AP exam, but would provide a solid foundation for a college intro bio course without requiring a heavy math or chemistry background.

• Like 4

Other online class options:

Pre-AP Bio: CTY, Online G3, WTM Academy, AIM Academy, Blue Tent

Pre-AP Chem: CTY, Stanford OHS, AIM Academy

Algebra-Based Physics: Derek Owens, Stanford OHS, CTY, Clover Creek Science

• Like 3

Depending on your child's interest. I have one child who would spend some time on marine biology and on birds. The other child is likely to go deeper into the area of astrophysics and also genetics.

They are using the Campbell Reece AP text as reference. They did not like the Campbell Concepts & Connections book.

For physics we are doing Hewitt followed by Giancoli or Knight. For chemistry maybe Tro which my boys liked the Coursera intro class and Zumdahl.

ETA:

Now they are doing their own personal interest reading on virology. We have many fun detours.

• Like 1

I'm going to suggest an alternative path and suggest you let her study whatever science topics interest her next yr.   As a 7th grader she does not need to take pre-AP sciences in order to take that level science and beyond in high school.    There are so many fields that kids don't normally get to study on the AP science train that you can use now as opportunity to really branch out and study topics she might not see again or not for a long time.  Not only that, but kids who are really strong in science do not need to take high school equivalencies before every science.

To give you an idea of what is possible, my ds graduated with 12 science credits and didn't take a single high school credit prior to 8th grade.  Kids who really love science can take multiple sciences per yr during high school and love every minute of it.  

Ds took his first physics class in 8th.  Took chem and an astronomy class in 9th.  AP chem and astronomy 2 in 10th.  DE cal-based physics 1&2  and a dark matter/black hole independent study in 11th.  Modern, classical mechanics 1 &2 (all DE physics courses) and bio in 12th.  (Ds took the equivalent of what was supposedly an AP bio class.  He didn't find bio difficult at all b/c of his physics and chem background even though he had never taken a traditional high school bio class.  He did not take the bio AP b/c he just didn't care and doesn't like bio.  MIT is the only school I know of which requires all majors to take bio.)

Anyway, that is just an alternative perspective from someone who doesn't think that the ps sequence and approach is all that great or one I want to duplicate at home.   :) (Fwiw, we find DE at the local university superior to AP test focus.)

Until 8th grade he studied whatever he wanted.  Seriously.  I didn't control one field of science he completed.  Physics in 8th grade was his choice. 

His math sequence was similar to science.

FWIW, if you have the opportunity to DE at a university vs. taking APs, we have personally found it a better approach. 

• Like 6

Wow, you guys really came through for me!  You've all given me a lot to research this summer.  For those following, I'm also investigating forming a Science Olympiad team.  Thank you all for your suggestions.  

We have loved being part of SO for two years now.  We went from 4 kids on our middle school team last year, to 11 kids this year, and made it to state.  There is a lot that you can sink your teeth into with science olympiad.  My advice is get started early, so you are registered and can get access to the rules as soon as they are released.  The rules are the be all end all of what to do/what to study, and the sooner you know that the sooner you can dig in and focus.  Best wishes!

• Like 2

I've been a Science Olympiad coach for twelve years. I've coached elementary (we have a division A competiton here) through high school. Division B (basically grades 6-8/9) is my favorite :)

Dd's middle school science learning was driven by the SO events she chose. We did start out with CPO Earth Science in fifth grase (her first year homeschooling). After that, I provided books (like Tarbuck Earth Science, my old chem textbooks, Chiasson's astronomy books, Gianocoli physics, a zillion botany books), access to lab equipment and supplies, and my superior googling skills as needed. I also bought an obscene amount of balsa and bass wood!

As a middle school SO coach, I wrote a lot of practice tests for the kids. I set up mock events for Rocks and Minerals and Forestry (ecology/botany/identification) and Crime Busters. I built the testing apparatus for the balsa building events. I timed vehicle events. I answered lots and lots of questions :)

Life as a high school coach is boring in comparison! This year after the events were assigned I asked dd if she needed any assistance finding information (her first year on divison C, a huge step up in difficulty). She declined :) A few weeks before the state competition, after she had exhausted all sources of practice tests for two events, she did ask for me to write a few practice tests for her.

• Like 3

I've been a Science Olympiad coach for twelve years. I've coached elementary (we have a division A competiton here) through high school. Division B (basically grades 6-8/9) is my favorite :)

Oh, I'm glad you posted here!  If you don't mind, I'd like to contact you later, maybe in a separate thread, with questions about SciO.  

Where did you buy from and which wood is more useful or do you need both. My boys just want to build and I don't want to break the bank.

I bought from a local hobby shop which won't help you :lol: Dd wanted to choose the wood herself (balsa apparently has 3 different grain types, each good for a particular application).

Balsa and bass act differently under compression and expansion. Bass, though heavier, is better to use for certain pieces. (That's all i remember offhand--I'd need to go into my bookmarks for more info---but I'm currently onehanded while icing an injured shoulder.)

• Like 2