Menu

Have you all followed the Naugler family?

DawnM

I actually expected a couple of my Facebook friends to post about how these homeschoolers were being persecuted by the evil government for raising their kids as they see fit. I am happy to report that I have seen no posts at all. :)

Looking at their current "shelter," I think that my chickens have a much nicer house than they do. I'm feeling sorry for those kids.

• Like 1

Has anybody posted this yet?

Their blog

I don't really have time to participate in this discussion, I just saw this posted elsewhere and thought it was food for thought as far as comparing ourselves to others, following "expert advice",  and feeling that we fall short of what we see on the internet.

The blog is from several years ago, I'm guessing it is from before they moved "off grid". 

That's their old blog. Then they moved the blog to another address. Here's a more recent discussion at the new blog about their living situation - http://www.donotlink.com/f2qf (Do Not Link'd to avoid driving traffic).

I imagine if they still lived in that particular home and doing what they were doing education-wise, this would be an entirely different situation.

Good grief. The images of the outhouse and house foundation look so sad. I don't think they're lazy as someone above posted, they just seem overwhelmed and clueless. Depending on what else emerges, I may be beginning to just pity them, honestly.

• Like 6

You know, if these people were acting like parents, the authorities wouldn't have to be the ones to step in and be the adults.

I'm sure that I don't disagree with you.  The father - IF the complaint is true - should never have asked his kid to go get a gun.  The very idea is abhorrent.  

I just got stuck on someone inserting the idea that the mother was going to go all Ruby Ridge on the authorities.  I don't think that's even possible given the set of circumstances that we have been told about. 

For those that don't know or don't remember:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ruby_Ridge

No, but I read this thread.

I find it amazing that they are so stupid they don't realize that people don't live like that in northern climates. Even in southern climates, that is not how they live. Maybe the Masai, but even the Masai use resources better. All that wood against the walls provides no protection. They don't even know how to thatch a wall. Wow.

You live in Alaska, you make an igloo.

You live in the PNW, you make a longhouse.

You live in the midwest, you have a tipi.

You live in Central Asia, build a flipping yurt.

How do they think human beings LIVE around the world? Even in Africa, in the poorest parts of Africa, people build mud huts.

I believe they may be truly unaware of how human beings survive without governments. Namely, they have communities, with elders, and social knowledge, and when they lose that and go to refugee camps, it's a horrible mess and people die. But ignorance is no excuse. It sounds like they had contact with other off-the-gridders (be my guest, people, far be it from me to tell anyone to lighten the load on the environment, though I do want people to know that burning trees is one of the least fuel-efficient ways to cook and generate heat so at least they're using petroleum) and homeschoolers but refused to take the counsel given to them. That was foolish. My uncle built a house. My ex-h built a nicer shelter for his COWS than that. And he was raised in a third-world country.

That is not "off the grid" it is "out of your goddamned mind". 

• Like 30

very true.

I just read some more, and I didn't realize they had older teens; 18 & 14. I hope the parents are very creative/get busy elsewhere on their acreage. I get the hebbie jebbies just thinking about Michelle and Jim Bob kissing in public as they do. I would so not have wanted to 'pretend not to notice' my own parents at 14.

Signed, just another uptight American. ;)

Imagine my horror when my mom revealed my younger brother was conceived while we lived in a 1 bedroom apartment between houses. My mom laughed and said "Dad was right, you were too young to remember!" *barf*
  • Like 6

I noticed there was one recent blog post in April 2015 where she announced she was pregnant with #11.

And I could get on board with experimenting with how to live on their property, but only with some basic minimums, given all those kids. At least one of them should be working at least part time in the cash economy (and maybe the oldest kids), and they should be taking advantage of SNAP, so they don't have to beg or steal food and water.

She does seem to be good at putting a positive spin on a bad situation. That's wasted talent right there.

• Like 5

I actually expected a couple of my Facebook friends to post about how these homeschoolers were being persecuted by the evil government for raising their kids as they see fit. I am happy to report that I have seen no posts at all. :)

Looking at their current "shelter," I think that my chickens have a much nicer house than they do. I'm feeling sorry for those kids.

I'm still waiting on one of mine to post as well. 

When she does, I'm posting the informative blog that was posted earlier. lol 

No, but I read this thread.

I find it amazing that they are so stupid they don't realize that people don't live like that in northern climates. Even in southern climates, that is not how they live. Maybe the Masai, but even the Masai use resources better. All that wood against the walls provides no protection. They don't even know how to thatch a wall. Wow.

You live in Alaska, you make an igloo.

You live in the PNW, you make a longhouse.

You live in the midwest, you have a tipi.

You live in Central Asia, build a flipping yurt.

How do they think human beings LIVE around the world? Even in Africa, in the poorest parts of Africa, people build mud huts.

I believe they may be truly unaware of how human beings survive without governments. Namely, they have communities, with elders, and social knowledge, and when they lose that and go to refugee camps, it's a horrible mess and people die. But ignorance is no excuse. It sounds like they had contact with other off-the-gridders (be my guest, people, far be it from me to tell anyone to lighten the load on the environment, though I do want people to know that burning trees is one of the least fuel-efficient ways to cook and generate heat so at least they're using petroleum) and homeschoolers but refused to take the counsel given to them. That was foolish. My uncle built a house. My ex-h built a nicer shelter for his COWS than that. And he was raised in a third-world country.

That is not "off the grid" it is "out of your goddamned mind". 

No, the Maasai do not live like that.  

• Like 3

I'm still waiting on one of mine to post as well. 

When she does, I'm posting the informative blog that was posted earlier. lol 

A couple of my friends posted it. I commented that there seems to be more to this case. Then I posted it on my wall to remind people to be skeptical and don't donate to internet strangers without vetting their stories. Someone asked me for links, so I posted the ones included in this thread and another from a news outlet. 

• Like 4

I would like to live in a hole in the ground.  But not a nasty, dirty, wet hole, filled with the ends of worms and an oozy smell, nor yet a dry, bare, sandy hole with nothing in it to sit down on or to eat.

I'd like a hobbit hole, please.

• Like 37

We watch Alaskan Bush People on TV. They've lived off grid (meaning no electricity, running water, centralized heating, air conditioning, etc.) in Alaska for decades while their kids were/are growing up.  They've been asked where they conceived their children (7 total) while living in 1 room tents and cabins.  They point out that there are plenty of places a couple can go to be together in the woods in the middle of the night where they can hear and see the tent/cabin. They don't have nearby neighbors and they don't have to go very far.

• Like 1

I have always liked the idea of a yurt.

I have not practical experience though.

I could do the kind of yurts people rent out in the US with electricity. A real yurt though, complete with sheepskins, shyrdaks, and sheep dung fires that make the interior smoky is something I do have experience with and wouldn't choose. :)

• Like 10

No, the Maasai do not live like that.  

Traditionally it does have something in common with the thinness of walls.

Of course, this is only talking about those individuals who choose the traditional life--many people live in apartments because who are we kidding, off the grid life is a huge pain in the butt. But the closest traditional home I could think of was a Masai hut. I was not attempting to compare the level of disorganization. Also, there were other pictures I found online that the Masai use thatching. Because, you know, they're not stupid.

a359.jpg

• Like 3

I have always liked the idea of a yurt.

I have not practical experience though.

I've camped ina yurt. It was very nice, but it also had electicity, a heater, and a ceiling fan. And insulation between the outside layer and inside layer. It's pretty amazing how much space we had for our family of 5 and it was vastly preferrable to camping in a tent in the middle of a downpour. It was also vastly better than the living situation being discussed in this thread.

• Like 6

I could do the kind of yurts people rent out in the US with electricity. A real yurt though, complete with sheepskins, shyrdaks, and sheep dung fires that make the interior smoky is something I do have experience with and wouldn't choose. :)

Have you been in the multi-room yurts with generators? Not bad at all!

• Like 1

Traditionally it does have something in common with the thinness of walls.

Of course, this is only talking about those individuals who choose the traditional life--many people live in apartments because who are we kidding, off the grid life is a huge pain in the butt. But the closest traditional home I could think of was a Masai hut. I was not attempting to compare the level of disorganization. Also, there were other pictures I found online that the Masai use thatching. Because, you know, they're not stupid.

a359.jpg

Yeah, still different. 

Between the ages of 5-14 I spent every summer living in a tent because my parents were directors of a Boy Scout Camp. It was an awesome childhood....but our tents was military style on raised platforms. We each had our own cot. And we had a dining hall with a commercial kitchen where food was prepared in a sanitary fashion.

We will be off the grid SOMEDAY but with solar panels, a well, and a septic system.

• Like 8

Yeah, still different. 

Of course it's different.

My point was to say their housing â€‹most closely resembles the housing plans of a people that (a) is semi-nomadic, (b) lives in a much drier, warmer climate, and © still knows how to thatch. As opposed to any other housing I have seen or heard of, anywhere.

I understand your desire not to associate traditional peoples with this nut, but my point was more to say, even the people with the fewest resources and who are most off the grid, still build better houses than these folks. Even in the same style. (Dry wood sticks with minimal roofing.)

• Like 12

Between the ages of 5-14 I spent every summer living in a tent because my parents were directors of a Boy Scout Camp. It was an awesome childhood....but our tents was military style on raised platforms. We each had our own cot. And we had a dining hall with a commercial kitchen where food was prepared in a sanitary fashion.

We will be off the grid SOMEDAY but with solar panels, a well, and a septic system.

My grandpa was a boy scout camp director, mom's favorite childhood memories are of summers spent at scout camp.

The winter after my youngest moved from Kyrgyzstan (he was four at the time), he'd call igloos "snow yurts" when he'd see pictures or drawings of them.  That's because yurts are awesome.  Here's a bit from Manas, the Kyrgyz epic poem:

Look at her beauty! White as snow she was.

Made not from felt, but from cloth.

Trellised wall varnished was.

And a mat, made from chij

Was with silk braided.

Ropes round the yurta

Of quaint beauty were.

When Manas came in the yurta

By luxury and beauty he was

Deeply surprised.

But here's the reality from a modern Kyrgyz poet name Tokombaev:

How can they breathe in smoke so thick?

How keep together body and soul?

The young housewife takes a stick

To open the chimney hole.

In vain- the wind drives back the smoke,

Tears blanket up our smarting eyes.

And what a cough! More troubles here

Than anyone can realise.

The wind, run amok, tears the felt

With all its ever-growing strength.

Like the eagle's wings, the tatters flap

As if to fly away at length.

To keep the yurta from crashing down

We go and prop it up with poles.

The guests extend their freezing hands

To warm them at the hearth, poor souls.

And did you know that yurt (or yurta) is really the Russian word for them? Yurt (or urt or jurt) is a Turkic word but it used to refer to the patch of ground a yurt sat on.  Now it often means something more like homeland.  Everyone has a different word for the actual structure. The Kyrgyz word is boz üy and means white home, because they're white in Kyrgyzstan.

I could see us doing upscale yurts someday with generators, but we're more into sandbag homes. 

And now no one will ever bring up yurts again to keep me from spamming the world about them.

• Like 18

I like yurts.  Well... I like the idea of them.  'Them' being the very nice kind you can rent at one of the state parks around here.  

That's as 'roughing it' as I'll go.  :D  :lol:

Their lean-to, at least in the couple of pictures I've seen, reminds me of the bamboo homes made by the Karen in Thailand and Burma.  

So why do some of these "off the grid" families blog about their lives so intensely? Alecya Pennington's mother also had a widely known blog. Is it because the off the grid thing isn't about privacy, just controlling the kids? Is it that it's such a difficult lifestyle to support and this is seen as a legitimate way to earn extra income? Is it because they're often evangelical and that goes with that - spreading the word? Is it because it's just a completely irrational thing to do so doing something that doesn't make any sense with it is just par for the course?

There's an off the grid family near me that blogs about the experience. It's done for information and to build an online presence for selling articles and books. However, there's adequate shelter, a wood-burning stove, and plenty of food, and while they don't have running water, there's always water in several reservoirs.

It definitely is not about being a "special snowflake" as mentioned by a pp.

• Like 3

By the way, I've been in several hippie built yurts that were all really nice. Someone I know has a yurt where she teaches yoga. But I still don't get it.

The images of that structure made by the Nauglers doesn't look as sturdy or nice as the shanties I saw on a tour of Soweto. That's why I say it makes me sad.

• Like 1

Why are people so into yurts? Like, all the hippies dream of yurt living. I have never fully understood that.

It's the word. Yurt. Say it aloud. It's delightful and far better than the boring alternatives:

I live in a house.

I live in a cabin.

I live in a shanty.

I live in a tent.

I live in a yurt.

Fun and functional all in one word.

Not me, though.

I want a tiny house, all to myself. It would be in our backyard, where I'd have access to modern conveniences, but a place to be alone when I need the solitude.

I believe the correct word for this family's home is 'hovel.'

• Like 11

I believe the correct word for this family's home is 'hovel.'

I think you're being too generous. I think the word you're looking for is "shanty." I suppose tchnically they are considered synonyms, but I think the definition for shanty, "a small, crudely built shack" is pretty apropos.

ETA: I do realize that there are people all over the world that live in this sort of dwelling. there are also all sorts of people and organizations around the world trying to do something about that. Clean water, sanitation, sufficient shelter, food, and access to medical care are, imo, basic human rights.

• Like 6

By the way, I've been in several hippie built yurts that were all really nice. Someone I know has a yurt where she teaches yoga. But I still don't get it.

The images of that structure made by the Nauglers doesn't look as sturdy or nice as the shanties I saw on a tour of Soweto. That's why I say it makes me sad.

It's a party tent. Regular tents aren't big enough :-)

• Like 3

I want to live in a yurt. Except, not really.

I want to live in a Ger/yurt. I vaccilate between that and an RV. With a composting toilet. But I would plan for and expect to maintain an adequate supply of potable water, one way or another. Not including by stealing from a neighbor.

• Like 5

I've spent time in a yurt and loved it. It was not a really advanced yurt like you can get now with wood stoves and whatnot. My friends had it on their property for 3 years and lived in while they built their house and business buildings.

I think you're being too generous. I think the word you're looking for is "shanty." I suppose tchnically they are considered synonyms, but I think the definition for shanty, "a small, crudely built shack" is pretty apropos.

It's the battle of the definitions!

A shanty, to me, is a crudely built structure.

A hovel is a squalid or unpleasant, simply built structure.

• Like 6

So the Naugler "home" is perhaps both?

• Like 2

Let's just combine them and call it a "shovel." Never mind, already taken.

• Like 29

A hovel is a really crappy shanty that's falling down.

However, I consider both a hovel and a shanty to have four walls, so in my mind, their three-walled stick-thing falls below the standard for even a hovel. If they hang a tarp, I may consider upgrading it.

• Like 14

Yurts are a cool shape. I would not live in one in Tornado Alley but least they are slightly more mainstream then what my son wants. He wants to live an old missile silo with 2,000 chickens. Alrighty then.

I swear that was an episode of Doomsday Preppers.

• Like 1

The winter after my youngest moved from Kyrgyzstan (he was four at the time), he'd call igloos "snow yurts" when he'd see pictures or drawings of them.  That's because yurts are awesome.  Here's a bit from Manas, the Kyrgyz epic poem:

Look at her beauty! White as snow she was.

Made not from felt, but from cloth.

Trellised wall varnished was.

And a mat, made from chij

Was with silk braided.

Ropes round the yurta

Of quaint beauty were.

When Manas came in the yurta

By luxury and beauty he was

Deeply surprised.

But here's the reality from a modern Kyrgyz poet name Tokombaev:

How can they breathe in smoke so thick?

How keep together body and soul?

The young housewife takes a stick

To open the chimney hole.

In vain- the wind drives back the smoke,

Tears blanket up our smarting eyes.

And what a cough! More troubles here

Than anyone can realise.

The wind, run amok, tears the felt

With all its ever-growing strength.

Like the eagle's wings, the tatters flap

As if to fly away at length.

To keep the yurta from crashing down

We go and prop it up with poles.

The guests extend their freezing hands

To warm them at the hearth, poor souls.

And did you know that yurt (or yurta) is really the Russian word for them? Yurt (or urt or jurt) is a Turkic word but it used to refer to the patch of ground a yurt sat on.  Now it often means something more like homeland.  Everyone has a different word for the actual structure. The Kyrgyz word is boz üy and means white home, because they're white in Kyrgyzstan.

I could see us doing upscale yurts someday with generators, but we're more into sandbag homes. 

And now no one will ever bring up yurts again to keep me from spamming the world about them.

In Mongolia it is called a Ger. My husband spent a year with members of the Mongolian Army and they had their own ger in Afghanistan. He really, really wants to put one up in our backyard. They are so much bigger inside than they look from the outside.

• Like 3

I swear that was an episode of Doomsday Preppers.

I pretty sure he has never watched that show (we do not have a TV and it is not an interest of his friends), but now I am going to have to see if I can find that episode and watch it.

He has also mentioned getting a massive metal factury building, converting part into a house, part into an indoor multi-sport field and the remainder into a chick hatchery. :)

• Like 1

Yes. They don't know how to build. I think they are stupid. :(

It's okay to be stupid if you live around smart people who can help you build your house or do it for you, particularly through mass-production so you can afford it.

It's like watching a poodle or a pug try to start a fight with a wolf. No doggie. No. That won't work.

Their whole genetic makeup is too domesticated for this project. I'd bring up natural selection but that weeds out the offspring, so let me just say I really hope that our species can take care of these kids and bring them up well.

• Like 5

People in real shanty towns (like in the Philippines) work very hard to provide for their needs.  They have walls, even if they are collections of various sheets of corrugated metal.  They work very hard to feed their families.  They even have running water though the water quality might be suspect.  Sadly many of the kids in these shanty towns do not have even the opportunity for an education as education in the Philippines is not mandatory and is not available to everyone.  They do have lotteries to provide an education for the brightest of the shanty kids.  They  are so coveted because people know that education is a step out of this abject poverty.  

• Like 13

In Mongolia it is called a Ger. My husband spent a year with members of the Mongolian Army and they had their own ger in Afghanistan. He really, really wants to put one up in our backyard. They are so much bigger inside than they look from the outside.

There are several companies which import gers from Mongolia. Like this:

http://www.nycmongol.com/yurt.html

Guys, you're really making me want a yurt.  

How much does a yurt cost?  Could we build one?  Should we buy land and build a yurt?!  Then we can build a house while we live in it.

:lol: :lol:

Thanks a lot.   :toetap05:  :smilielol5:

I think I've definitely decided what I want to do on our next long weekend away (because we have those... ever.   :huh: ) .... definitely want to at least rent a yurt and stay in it for a few days.   :coolgleamA:

• Like 2