Menu

ACT testing and using Student Identification Letter with photo option

Hi everyone! Long time boardie here, though truthfully not much of a poster. I've gleaned a lot from the Hive's members during our 10 years of homeschooing, so hopefully you BTDT folks can offer me some ACT related assurance. 

I've got two kids who will be finishing up 9th grade shortly and taking the June 13th ACT. We've never done any standardized testing before, so this is a practice run for them. They've already started prepping, so now I'm just trying to eliminate any hurdle that might trip up their test day. 

One thing I worry a bit about is the id they have to show when they arrive. They are just 15 so they have no driver's license. We school independently, so they don't have any school id, nor do they have a state id which would cost $30/apiece for them. Right now, I'm planning to use the ACT's student id letter with photo option. I've already got a notary on board, etc. but I'd just like to hear from those of you with kids who used this option. Did they have any trouble the day of the test? Did anyone question whether this form was really a legit ACT form? I ask because I don't know anyone in real life who has used it. While I'd rather not have to spend $60 for state ids, I will if it sounds likely that someone checking ids might not recognize such an id/form.

So, I'd like to hear from anyone whose kids used this form successfully to take their testing. If someone's kids had problems, I'd like to hear about that too, as well as what you did  when that happened. If it turns out that people generally have had no problem utilizing this option, I'll feel a little easier about it. I'm a worrier by nature, so anything you can share would be helpful. Thanks!

can't help on the question with experience.   Just glad I live in a state where the ID only "license" for those under 18 is only $5 and good for 2 years. 

(encouraging you) I'm assuming that the official form will be accepted and it'll be fine.  We did one of those kinds of forms with photo id and got a notary at the bank to sign it, but it wasn't for ACT, it was for CLEP test.  probably could have used her passport, but didn't.

• Like 1

We've used this option with our dc. The first time we did so the person checking id's had no idea what to do with it and didn't want to take it. I had to get them to go find someone else. That person verified that it was indeed acceptable. However, they were just going to let them in. I had to point out that the dc had to sign it and that they needed to initial it (part 4 of the form). Dc barely made in into the room in time, which probably didn't help with stress levels.

My advice is to arrive early, go with your child into the testing facility, and stay with them until they are admitted into the room to make sure everything is done properly. Also, print out the page that lists that option as an acceptable form of identification.

• Like 2

Thanks to all who shared their thoughts. My hope would be that our experience would mirror those related by Luckymama and cbollin. I wish our state ids were only $5. If that had been the case, I'd probably have spent the money without much pause. However, since they'll probably be getting their licenses within a year, the state id seemed somewhat a waste. We just haven't had much demand for them to show an id. However, as katilac posted, that may change so we may have to revisit the issue. The passport idea would be great, too, but we don't have those either.

Natalie, your dc's situation is more what I envision, and your advice comports with what I'd been planning: Get there plenty early, stay with my kids until they are actually admitted and bring printouts of what the ACT has posted on its website regarding this particular form and its use. Oh, and pray for a knowledgeable person to be checking and that my two kids aren't stressed out by the admission challenge. I guess the bright side would be that the two of them would be going through it together, so whatever happens, neither can claim that Mom did a better job handling this for their twin. :001_smile:

If there are additional posters with experience in this, feel free to add your thoughts and comments! Thanks!