Menu

Rusty Houdini

I went into Dd13's room tonight to say hi to Rusty during a t.v. commercial.  I couldn't find him anywhere.  Not in his cage, not in his favorite box, not in his favorite hiding spot in the closet. . .    I was starting to panic and happened to look up to where a curious bunny was watching me - from on top of dd's bed!  Dd's bed is raised higher than a normal bed - sort of like a bunk bed but without the bottom bunk.  He must have hopped from one ledge to another to another. . . to finally make it up there!  He looked pretty smug.  And naughty bunny was mad at Dd when she took him down.  He tried to nip her hand.  She's put barriers now to keep him from doing that again.  (He could seriously hurt himself if he fell from such a height.)

So after about ten minutes,  I just went back in there on another ad break, to find a very smug bunny sitting on her pillow on her bed.  We can't quite figure out how he did it.  But now we've moved his cage to the other side of the room away from the bed so he can't use that as a springboard.  How far can bunnies hop anyway?  And can they climb?

• Like 7

We MUST see the video footage of this. I've recently found myself amazed at what exceptional bunnies can and will do. I never knew they had so much personality and spirit! 

Also, I'm glad I'm not the only one who visits her kids' pets throughout the day  :blush:  I've developed quite the bond with one of our gerbils :lol:

• Like 1

Houston, we have a problem.  He casually just jumped two and a half feet, using the top of the rabbit exercise pen as a step to push off of as he then jumps onto the bed.  He's locked in his bedtime cage and he's quite miffed and is rattling the cage in frustration.  This bunny has tasted freedom and he liked it!  

I'm trying to get the video so that I can link it.  

• Like 5

Yes, they can jump quite high. Their hind legs are more powerful than you might guess. My pet rabbit jumped on my bed, the couch, the chairs with no effort at all. In addition to jumping vertically, they can also span quite a distance horizontally if motivated. They are talented creatures!  :)  :)

Here is a word of caution if you are new to the bunny world: They like electrical cords. My bunny chewed on some extension cord (unbeknownst to us) and Grandma had a series of mysterious incidents where the power went out because the breaker tripped. Now, we are talking about an old house years ago but you would not want Rusty to get a shock or worse in case he finds the cords tasty.

• Like 1

Houston, we have a problem.  He casually just jumped two and a half feet, using the top of the rabbit exercise pen as a step to push off of as he then jumps onto the bed.  He's locked in his bedtime cage and he's quite miffed and is rattling the cage in frustration.  This bunny has tasted freedom and he liked it!  

I'm trying to get the video so that I can link it.  

This brings back so many fun memories. They can get quite upset and rattling the cage is one expression of this "inner turmoil."

You will now have to appease him with a delectable carrot stick or something. :lol: If he is male and you stick a stuffed animal in his cage, it may distract him.....

• Like 3

RUSTY RULES! :hurray:

Clearly, he is an Einstein among rabbits.

Or else he's one of Satan's Little Helpers.

Could go either way...... ;)

All bunnys are saintly...ahem. I vote for cutest little Einstein impersonator ever seen, and fuzzy to boot.

• Like 2

Seriously people, I need some ideas on how to contain him.  We can't keep him in the cage tomorrow  We were keeping him in the X pen but now that we know he can hop out at will, we can't guarantee he will be safe because not everything is bunny proof.  

Get some inexpensive chicken wire and tie it to the top of the x pen. You need to use some kind of metal clip for all corners and quite likely along the long sides. I would not use tie bands (the kind that sometimes come with garbage bags) or Rusty could chew it. They have an amazing set of teeth and they are not afraid to use them.

• Like 1

Seriously people, I need some ideas on how to contain him. We can't keep him in the cage tomorrow We were keeping him in the X pen but now that we know he can hop out at will, we can't guarantee he will be safe because not everything is bunny proof.

Does anyone you know have a big dog crate you could borrow?

I wish I lived near you, because we have the equivalent of a giant doggie playpen that is sort of like a big foldable tent. It would be perfect for Rusty... until he realized he could gnaw his way out of it.

OK, so maybe that wasn't the best idea... But a hard-sided crate could work, or even a collapsible metal crate.

• Like 1

There is a cover for certain models of the xpen.  

Has your DD considered doing rabbit agility with him?  This is what DS does with his bunny.   DS's bunny is in training for agility and the rabbit loves it.   DS has his trained to respond to a bell.   There are competitions you can complete in.  If she is interested, look for a rabbit hopping club.  

• Like 2

There is a cover for certain models of the xpen.

Has your DD considered doing rabbit agility with him? This is what DS does with his bunny. DS's bunny is in training for agility and the rabbit loves it. DS has his trained to respond to a bell. There are competitions you can complete in. If she is interested, look for a rabbit hopping club.

I have never heard of rabbit agility, but it sounds like it would be fun to watch! (We don't have a rabbit or I think it would be a cool thing to try.)

This morning he's already figured out two new ways to get up on that bed.  For the latest, he figured out how to push the entire X pen over to where he could then get up.  I think we've come up a solution but . . . .      I think we're giving Rusty lots of fun ways to test his I.Q. and he's returning the favor as we try to figure out how to beat him at his game!  

We're looking at tops but we need on that will let in light.  

• Like 1

It doesn't seem that high to me. I'm on Team Let Rusty Jump on the Bed. ;)

The top of the bed is 3 feet off of the floor.  The side of the bed next to the wall would extremely difficult to get him out of and could hurt him (you can't see it but there is a solid board next to the wall on the bottom "bunk".)  Plus, last night he pee'd up there!  

Gah.  Dd just called me.  We fixed it so that he can't move the pen anymore but he's figured out how to just hop over the side.  A sulky bunny is in his cage. . .     We may eventually give him the entire room but it needs a lot more rabbit proofing before that happens.  

I don't know how tall your pen is but our exercise pen is the tallest they had, I think 48 in. tall, and neither of our bunnies can hop out.

Yeah, that is one solution.  The only problem with that is that dd had saved up all her own money for the bunny and supplies and had spent a significant portion on the 24 inch. tall one.  I wonder if we could return it?  We can't afford to just buy her a new pen.  

The top of the bed is 3 feet off of the floor.  The side of the bed next to the wall would extremely difficult to get him out of and could hurt him (you can't see it but there is a solid board next to the wall on the bottom "bunk".)  Plus, last night he pee'd up there!  

Gah.  Dd just called me.  We fixed it so that he can't move the pen anymore but he's figured out how to just hop over the side.  A sulky bunny is in his cage. . .     We may eventually give him the entire room but it needs a lot more rabbit proofing before that happens.  

I'm literally :lol: at this whole thing. I know it's probably less funny where you are, but I'm seriously impressed with this bunny! Is there a Raising Your Spirited Rabbit book out there that may help? :D

Yeah, that is one solution.  The only problem with that is that dd had saved up all her own money for the bunny and supplies and had spent a significant portion on the 24 inch. tall one.  I wonder if we could return it?  We can't afford to just buy her a new pen.  

Can you maybe ask on your local Freecycle or FB "garage sale"-type sites? We had one for awhile and we never even owned a pet that size! (It was a hand-me-down from a neighbor who didn't understand that gerbils need smaller accommodations.) I did Freecycle it eventually. 

Have you seen "Bunny fails at jump"? :D

FWIW, we made our rabbit pen out of wire cube panels attached with zip ties - there were enough panels to make a lid for the pen.

OK, because of this, I was just sucked into 20 minutes of hilarious bunny videos. My DD thanks you!

• Like 3

Where did you buy it from and how long have you had it?  Do you still have the packaging?

Bought at PetCo delivery.  Have had it two weeks - used it two days.  The packaging is gone.

Ds (aka the Inventor) has some ideas of how to use the existing pen by adding cardboard.  I'm afraid that wouldn't be sturdy enough and Rusty would circumvent it in a flash.

I'm thinking more of a vinyl tarp tied down with metal hooks on top.  If that is a a bad idea, let me know.  

Bought at PetCo delivery.  Have had it two weeks - used it two days.  The packaging is gone.

You can return items bought online at a Petco store, if you have one near you.  Their website says, "If you are not 100% satisfied with your purchase, you can return it to one of our Petco stores."  I'd just tell them you need to exchange it for a taller one, since your bunny keeps hopping out!  

If you don't have a store near you, it's probably not worth the cost of mailing it back.   

• Like 1

I'm thinking more of a vinyl tarp tied down with metal hooks on top. If that is a a bad idea, let me know.

When we first got our rabbits, it was suggested that we keep a sheet over the top of their pen to help them feel safer, so I would think a tarp would work just as well.

There are lots of tips at the house  rabbit website, and others.  Basically, yes, trying to keep him in is a challenge to him and he enjoys the game.  Bunnies love to solve escape puzzles.  He is peeing to mark the spot as his territory.  I noticed that our male does this primarily in any spot that belongs to a female household member, DD's chair and bed, my blanket.  He thinks we are his women now.  When we first got our bunny he would nip at my legs enough to draw blood if I wasn't quick.  This was his "love" language.  We've finally taught him that I like him, but it's not going to be a love match.  :glare:

Bunnies will nip if excited, annoyed or wanting to put you in your place.  And, it takes them a LONG time to forgive.  The other reason I got the hardest nips was because I startled our guy when he was new and he didn't trust me for a long time.  I would say it has taken us 6 months to get him to just give a little lunge of warning instead of a nip (mostly a problem between he and I).  Bunnies learn language.  I taught "gentle" to settle him when he wanted to bite, and "pet" to let him know that I was going to acknowledge his sovereignty and pet him (very important to Mr. Alpha Bunny).  He is also learning to come when we say "Dash, come."  But he only does that when he feels like it. 

Your bunny will have quite a sense of humor and most likely enjoy outsmarting you- ours does.  He comes to DD out of love, not because he has to.  The model for Bugs Bunny must have been real.  LOL

Our bunny accepts cage time because he now knows that he will get out and explore time regularly.  His cage is his personal room and he takes offense if it is altered.  He has "his" toys in it and his potty.  Leaving the door open for him to come and go when permissible helps as well.  I think given the way bunnies were kept in the 'bad old days' keeping him caged when you need to is OK. But, you need to teach and communicate with the bunny to help him accept the confinement.  He will kick, chew and rattle to express his distress and that is just him talking to you.  Your DD will need to learn to talk back and reassure him. 

FWIW, our bunny can take high leaps with no problem.  I'm not sure your bunny would hurt himself on the way down from the bed, though I understand the concern. Our guy hops into chairs and on DD's bed (higher than yours).  The more exercise he gets, the more jumping he will be able to do, btw.  We have laminate floors so our poor guy has actually had to learn to run and jump with no traction in most of the rooms of the house.  He still has major trouble with cornering when he is chasing one of us -a favorite game.  DD's room has carpet so he can really move in there. 

DD has been assigned to read one article from the rabbit website or from a bunny care book daily as part of her school to get her up to speed on how to take care of her bunny.  The "emotional" aspects are way more complicated than the feeding and cleaning one. 

• Like 2

Adding, our bunny manages to pull liners from the under layer of his cage up through the screen (I don't know how).  So, your guy would probably just see an sheet or a vinyl tarp as something to tear down and chew.  If he truly couldn't reach it, you might be OK. 

We use this as bunny's house and a small section of the top opens as well as the front "door."  Dash can take a vertical leap and get out if the top is open.