Menu

Need more review with Singapore style math

I am looking for more review to do with Singapore style math. Any suggestions? Has anyone used Math Express or Math Sprints?

My DD10 just finished MIF 5A/5B 4A/4B, but didn't score very well on the End of the Year Review/Test. We never moved past a chapter unless she scored 90% or more at the end of each chapter. She had to go back and do some review or extra practice for about half of the chapters before moving on. Unfortunately, she is not very detail oriented and that is often more of a problem than mastering the concepts. I think she would benefit from some daily review of a variety of concepts. I started off the year pulling together some review problems for her, but that didn't last very long. We need something already put together. I'd appreciate any suggestions!

Well, you might consider having her do CLE for review.  Maybe skip the first light unit, the quizzes and tests, and cut out some of the review.  Lesson might take 20 minutes, but could be great for solidifying things.

FWIW, DS does some MiF, and I do love the program, but we switched to CLE as our primary because he needed the spiral review.  He still does some MiF, especially word problems, but for long-term retention/performance he does much better with CLE as the spine.

• Like 1

I switched my oldest from Math in Focus this year to Horizons Math. She just couldn't handle a mastery approach to math any longer, but I love the solid foundation MIF has given her. Horizons has been a breath of fresh air since she feels successful at math for the first time in a long time. I still use the Challenging Word Problems and Intensive Practice books a year behind from Singapore math because Singapore's word problems are the best I've seen. 

• Like 2

I switched in December to CLE. We had just completed MIF 5A. We had used MIF for years. I decided it was going to be easier to add conceptual teaching/Singapore type methods to CLE than it had been to add review to Math in Focus. That's been true here. I love the switch.

I do still use Singapore word problems (FAN math with both, CWP as well with one), and I think CLE needs that addition.

There is a ton of overlap in content between the two programs. You might be able to use CLE as a review supplement in some measure. The problem is that they teach things in a different order, so their early 6th will cover things MIF may leave until the end of 6th or the opposite. My kids tested into CLE 500, and had mastered about half of the 500 level material. But there were still things in the very first light unit (502) that we hadn't yet covered in MIF 5. So I had to start at the beginning. Using the whole 5th grade, for example, along with somehow won't work easily. Actually, I don't think it would work at all unless you just did both curriculum at the same time (yikes), or used one as a supplement (probably MIF supplementing CLE as your base at grade level or using CLE in a supplementary role a year behind somehow).

I do have an idea, though. Edit: the CLE LightUnit 501 would have most of the material from CLE 400, and 601 would have most of CLE 500 I imagine. I haven't seen CLE 400, but the 500 level matches pretty well with MIF content wise by the end of the year. I'm not entirely sure if the 601 reviews all of 500's content though. If it does, maybe you could use those as a review system. I think it might be possible.  Side note: their first light units (so 501 and 601) are nothing like the later ones. They are meant to be a review after a summer break. So don't judge the program using them.  If you want to try one to possibly switch, pick light unit 502 perhaps (something in the early bit or middle of the units ...the later units have a lot more preview of the next year and consumer type math).  My kids liked it immediately.

The thing is I've realized that CLE's spiral is better than any review system I did or could have tried.  Really..I think it's much, much easier and more effective to supplement the conceptual. I've not had to do it much actually, but I'm using what I already just know from Math in Focus, education unboxed videos (elementary math), and AOPS videos (pre-algebra concepts).

• Like 2

My daughter needed some spiral review beginning in MM 5. we added in Simple Solutions math (I chose CC version, but they also carry non-CC). 15 problems per day in a work-book format of spiral review absolutely ensures they can't FORGET anything! It takes my DD 10-12 minutes, including checking her own answers/making corrections, if necessary. She does it as a math warm-up. I feel like it is the perfect compliment to a mastery program.

• Like 1

We use Math Minutes for review. My 7th grader has used it for a couple years and will do the last level, 8th, next year. My younger will do 3rd next year. 1 page, 10 problems, new and review.

Who makes this? I tried googling and found a website and a couple of books.

We use CLE a level behind what she tested into, 2-3 pages a day, for review. It's generally pretty easy and does not take much time. But it seems to be solidifying things and giving DD a different take on several topics. we really love Singapore as our main program and don't have any plans to switch. But I'm very impressed with CLE and it is doing a great job shoring up weak/forgetful areas.

• Like 2