Menu

Thoughts on Build Your Library

Hi!

I would love to hear some reviews on Build Your Library. I am considering using the K and 1st grade cores for my K and 2nd grader starting in the fall and the. Just combine them as we go if we continue with their curriculum.

What do you love or like about it if you use it?

I have not used it yet, but am planning on using their 7th grade plan with DS2 (after we finish Bookshark 5).  There is a facebook group called Build Your Library Families that is fairly active, and I know the author is a member here as well.  

That facebook group is very helpful -- maybe too helpful.

I was sold on Grade 2 but I think I might do K with my K and 2nd grader next year instead. Lots of great comments about that level (all the levels, really) and then we can hopefully move into Ancients the next year (or later in year if we get done faster) because I was originally going to skip it but feeling bad about skipping.

• Like 1

I thought the one I tried (Darwin) was quite cute. Unfortunately, whilst the kids don't mind me reading picture books ocassionally, they aren't into me reading out books. They will listen to their father read out long stories of a night (right now they are going through the entire Harry Potter series, before that it was American Girl stories), so unfortunately, not matter how much I like the idea of classical, I can only include bits and pieces and ideas of such into our curricula. My eldest is a big reader and will read a lot of interesting books on her own of her choice (quite good choices), but she doesn't like assigned reading books, and right now I think its better for her to have a love of reading, so she has a scribd unlimited subscription as well. So she likes independant, straight forward "unboring" type stuff and for math has lessons with me, my son does straight Time 4 learning and Science 4 us as it works for him right now to be as independant as possible otherwise he relies on me as a crutch to figure out answers. My youngest prefers doing school with me over computer or literature based schooling and loves worksheets, So I'm transferring her over to that. In other words, none fit the classical mold (cue sad violin music), but if we were, BYL seems like a nice "slightly" boxed version of WTM. I would probably still prefer to just to WTM method over boxed, as I like to tweak and present things my own way, but it's a nice alternative that seems fun. As for typos, I make them myself, and people stalk around correcting me, so I can't really comment on that part. If I see a typo, I mentally correct it, and move on. It's a teaching guide so a few typos or index dramas don't bother me, if a novel contains multiple mistakes, sometimes that can drive me crazy, but a guide doesn't bother me much.

I am currently using the WWII study, as well as the 7th grade curriculum.

We have really enjoyed the book selection and the layout/lesson plans. It has been extremely easy to implement.

We do school 3-4 days a week year-round and I haven't had a problem with adjusting lesson plans to fit our schedule. (I don't bother with the five day/grid lesson plans, only use the detailed daily plans.)

I haven't noticed any typos in the two guides we are using.

• 3 years later...