Menu

I was told I wasn't a real homeschool parent today

Slipper

I had a meeting at the Board of Education today with the Ass't Superintendent. My oldest is in public school and that was part of our discussion. The Ass't Superintendent is also the person who oversees homeschool applications and such so the topic came up. I mentioned that I homeschooled our other two girls and she immediately stopped me and told me that I wasn't a real homeschool parent. She said that our county only has ONE homeschool parent and that the parent turned in a copy of her teaching certificate, lesson plans and other necessary paperwork. She stated that since we operate under a church cover school then the church school is the educational system even though we present the subjects at our home. (We are under a church cover, but they have no involvement). 

Honestly, I was baffled and didn't know what to say. I know that the school system does not have a high opinion of homeschool parents in our area (and there is some justification to their belief). However, I have a good reputation with the school as being a parent that is dedicated to our kids. (Or, I thought I was well respected). I didn't say anything as I despise confrontation, but everytime I mentioned the word homeschool, she corrected me. I finally told her that regardless of what she thought, I would be happy to stack my kids' standardized test scores against any public school child's scores in the district. She said that she was sure that I was very conscientious about presenting material to our kids but without a teaching certificate, I was not a homeschooler.

I avoided the homeschool topic after that - but we are scheduled to meet again. The topic of homeschooling WILL come up as I had a question that she wasn't able to answer to my satisfaction, so we agreed to disagree until I could find more information.

Any suggestions for a polite way to correct this when it comes up? Or should I just pass the bean dip? (Did I mention that she is also my mother's supervisor?)

Well. I had a few ideas, but your last sentence kind of put the kibosh on those. I would be extremely ticked off though. I hope others have some ideas. 

ETA: The definition of a "real" homeschooler is one that has been fairly hotly debated here, so it's possible that you may get answers you don't expect. What do your state laws say about it? And why are you under the church cover if they have no involvement? (Not arguing, just trying to clarify so you can accurately correct her if possible!)

ETA again: The bean dip people are probably right. I'm angry on your behalf though!

• Like 4

If your students are not in a public school or private school, you are a homeschooler in our state no matter what that really looks like in the day to day teaching.  Three days a week in a hybrid school--homeschooler.  All classes taught online by other people--homeschooler.  I would think that if you are teaching at home whether or not you even choose the curriculum--homeschooler.

• Like 2

Any suggestions for a polite way to correct this when it comes up? Or should I just pass the bean dip? (Did I mention that she is also my mother's supervisor?)

Pass the bean dip. If someone is insisting on using their own take on the definition of a word, then let them (unless it presents a *real* problem). You're unlikely to be able to change their mind anyway.

• Like 6

Legally, she may be right. I'm not a "Real homeschooler" according to my state, either, because if you register with a cover school, you're considered a private school teacher for said school and your child is enrolled in said school with you as the teacher of record (even for outsourced classes). Doesn't make one whit of difference otherwise-even HSLDA considers us homeschoolers, as, I believe, does the common app.

• Like 16

I would ask, "Are you using the state's legal definition of homeschooler or your own?"  It really just comes down to legal definitions.  I know some people get upset about that but the legal definitions are what they are they determine which laws regarding education apply to whom.

• Like 12

This can depend on the laws in your state.  In our state, legally if you are using a cover school or an online charter, you are not a "homeschooler" in terms of legal definitions.  Even if you are just as engaged and involved as a homeschooling parent in the legal sense.  It's purely semantics IMO.  I don't argue semantics with idiots.  ;)  I would roll my eyes and pass the bean dip. 

• Like 14

What I don't get is why she kept on with the 'correcting'.  Even if it's listed under the law in a very technical sense that you are a 'teacher' for the cover school, it should be pretty common knowledge that anyone whose children have school at home fall under a 'homeschooling' category.  

To constantly feel the need to 'correct' you is annoying.   Really, really annoying.  Once?  Meh.  Eye roll.  But multiple times?  I'd be seriously seething because it's beyond obnoxious.

I'd be tempted to just smile and say, 'Well, my kids are educated in my home, and regardless of everything else, that would be homeschooling by popular definition.  Homeschooling takes all different forms.  So I, and other parents like me, consider ourselves homeschoolers.  The technicalities are unimportant semantics.'

• Like 13

What Crimson Wife said. It may be the legal definition in your state. CA has no homeschoolers legally. All are private schoolers, public schoolers or privately tutored students (tutors must pass certain standards, I forget now, but most homeschool parents would not meet them and tutors must submit certain paperwork to the state). Private schools in CA do not. They must keep attendance records, but are not required to show those to the state unless the state asks after a PARTICULAR student by name. And I would like to stay a private schooler, so I make sure DH knows the legal definitions in case this should ever come up (ya never know).

I would just move on. This meeting will not affect your younger students right?

• Like 3

I think I'd start using the phrase "my children's teacher (or educator)" instead of "homeschooler" because it doesn't sound like she can argue with that.

If this option is a no go, my second thought is to stare at her every time she says it and say nothing until she says something else. I'd come up with exactly the same look and gesture (nothing profane or rude, of course) and do it every single time until she felt intimidated by me.

• Like 12

Some people have difficulty in seeing things other than in black and white. I'll leave it be but I am used to people like that and just finds it exhausting to explain.

To constantly feel the need to 'correct' you is annoying.   Really, really annoying.  Once?  Meh.  Eye roll.  But multiple times?  I'd be seriously seething because it's beyond obnoxious.

Probably an OCD bureaucrat. :lol:

• Like 5

I wouldn't argue about it.  If she thinks you need a certificate to be a teacher, well, then no one got a "real" education until the mid-1900's or even later.  And even then, according to her, you can only get a "real" education here in the United States, right?

There are a lot of people out there who think it's absolutely shocking that I don't need to be blessed by the state to educate my kids, but that's because they've never really thought about it at all.  This woman probably has and is entrenched in educationist dogma, and that's not the kind of person you can argue with about this sort of thing.

• Like 4

What a bunch of baloney. I'm sorry you had to deal with that.

I'd check your state law. If, according to the state law, you are homeschooling legally, then you're a real homeschooler, regardless of what she thinks. I'd just smile and say, "The state law recognizes me as a legitimate homeschooler, even without a teaching degree." If you're pressed to produce a teaching degree or lesson plans or anything else that is beyond the law, I would just keep reminding them that you are following the law. If they continue to press, insist that they send requests to you via certified mail, and inform them that you will contact your lawyer.

My state has some strict homeschool laws, but they're relaxed about starting age, which is eight. I received the paperwork from the school to register my DS2 for K last spring, and I politely called to tell them that he, like his siblings, would be homeschooled. They never gave me grief when I called about that for the older two, but this time, the lady said, "Okay, but you still need to register him as a homeschooler." As politely as I could, I informed her that no, I did not, because the mandatory age is eight. She told me that she'd have to check on that and call me back. I never got a call back, so I assume she did check into the actual law, and someone set her straight. Just keep focusing on what the law actually says.

• Like 2

Also, reading the other comments, I realize that I'm looking at this through the lens of my state. Here, we do indeed have to report to the school district, so I would need to push them to understand the law. If you don't have to report to them in any way, I'd let it go.

"I understand that you are using the legal (or 'technical') definition of homeschooler as it pertains to this state. However * I * am using the colloquial definition of homeschooler, which means exactly what you think it means. We both know exactly what I am doing. So, here's the deal. * I'm * going to continue using the colloquial definition whenever * I * talk because it's a perfectly normal way to talk. You get to decide whether or not to rudely interupt me and correct me every time it gets mentioned. I understand what you are saying about the technicalities and you are absolutely correct. I just prefer to use the colloquial definition in casual conversation. So I will. You can do what you want."

• Like 22

Yup, pass the bean dip......then give yourself a pat on the back because you ARE a homeschool mom.  One doesn't need a teaching degree to homeschool.  There are also plenty of homeschoolers under an umbrella school that are still considered homeschoolers.  

I don't know what her point was - just to make sure she put you in your place?  How kind of her. 

• Like 3

It sounds like you may not be a legally defined homeschooler in the school district under state law. Perhaps you have to have a teaching certificate to do that in your state? I wonder if that might be true, given you have a cover organization? Either way, it sounds like the church is your child's legal educator for the school district records. Semantics, and entirely unimportant to you I'd think? 

Can't you get your question answered without calling yourself a homeschooler or correcting her, um, correction of your wording?

I would try to let this roll off my back. I certainly wouldn't try to convince her otherwise.

• Like 1

I had a meeting at the Board of Education today with the Ass't Superintendent. My oldest is in public school and that was part of our discussion. The Ass't Superintendent is also the person who oversees homeschool applications and such so the topic came up. I mentioned that I homeschooled our other two girls and she immediately stopped me and told me that I wasn't a real homeschool parent. She said that our county only has ONE homeschool parent and that the parent turned in a copy of her teaching certificate, lesson plans and other necessary paperwork. She stated that since we operate under a church cover school then the church school is the educational system even though we present the subjects at our home. (We are under a church cover, but they have no involvement). ...  Any suggestions for a polite way to correct this when it comes up? Or should I just pass the bean dip? (Did I mention that she is also my mother's supervisor?)

Ignore it. 

Technically she may be correct depending upon your state's codes. 

In my state, if you are registered with a "cover" school, you are considered a private schooler.  Only those who independently homeschool and register with the local school authority are considered homeschoolers.

• Like 3

In my state, there is one option in which you are legally categorized as a homeschooler.  Under the others, you are a private school student with a home study component.  It is a legal distinction without a difference.  Not sure if that is the case where you are, and cannot speak as to whether it was intended as a dig, but I am not legally designated as a homeschooler.  

• Like 1

When we lived in Alabama, we were registered as "legal homeschoolers" under the umbrella cover of a specific church.  The umbrella cover did nothing other than collect our "days of attendance" sheets and hold occasional optional meetings. 

I would avoid contact with this bureaucrat as much as possible.  I hope she is not echoing negativity about homeschooling from OP's mother.

• Like 1

Agree with the others, she may be referring to something written in your state law.  She may technically be correct.  What does your state law define as a "homeschooler"?  (She's still being rude, but an OCD bureaucrat type may not be able to see that).

Here we are considered a private school.  It makes not one whit of difference for practical purposes.  Technically, though, I am running a private school.  I am not a homeschooler.

It wouldn't matter whether I had a teacher's certificate or not, though.  That seems like something you might look into.  Can only certified teachers homeschool in your state?

As to how to respond to her, if her opinion/definition does not affect your homeschooling I would pass the bean dip.  Who cares what she thinks?  And I would not want to risk my mother's job.

If she has influence and her definition/opinion matters, I would do more extensive research before saying anything, but I would probably pursue it further, in as pleasant a manner as possible to prevent issues down the road.

• Like 1

Perhaps she objects to the use of a word that 'technically' implies more qualifications the people who use it seem to mean by it.

Example: anybody can claim to be a "nutritionist" (no qualification required) but to claim to be a "dietician" means you have a degree and a professional organization. It might take a picky person to correct someone using the "dietician" title in a coloqial way when they don't have the qualifications (and should really be using "nutritionist" for accuracy's sake) -- but sometimes that matters to some people.

I don't think being technical is always the same as being insulting.

Perhaps she objects to the use of a word that 'technically' implies more qualifications the people who use it seem to mean by it.

Example: anybody can claim to be a "nutritionist" (no qualification required) but to claim to be a "dietician" means you have a degree and a professional organization. It might take a picky person to correct someone using the "dietician" title in a coloqial way when they don't have the qualifications (and should really be using "nutritionist" for accuracy's sake) -- but sometimes that matters to some people.

I don't think being technical is always the same as being insulting.

I agree, but unless OPs state specifically says that only certified teachers that teach their children at home are considered homeschoolers, she isn't being technical.  She's being a pain.  I just wonder what the state laws say for OP.  That really is what would clarify the situation.

If your students are not in a public school or private school, you are a homeschooler in our state no matter what that really looks like in the day to day teaching.  Three days a week in a hybrid school--homeschooler.  All classes taught online by other people--homeschooler.  I would think that if you are teaching at home whether or not you even choose the curriculum--homeschooler.

I suspect that the point the administrator was trying to make -- albeit she may not have expressed it well -- is that a church cover is, legally, a private school. So, although the organization with which the OP is registered may not have any day-to-day involvement in her kids' education, technically, legally, the kids are enrolled in a private school. Hence, not a homeschooler, from that purely technical standpoint.

• Like 3

I suspect that the point the administrator was trying to make -- albeit she may not have expressed it well -- is that a church cover is, legally, a private school. So, although the organization with which the OP is registered may not have any day-to-day involvement in her kids' education, technically, legally, the kids are enrolled in a private school. Hence, not a homeschooler, from that purely technical standpoint.

Makes sense

I would suspect that this is a person who is very into bureacratic rules and crossing every T.  He doesn't want to think of you as a homeschooler, because he has only one box for them.  Since you haven't turned in paperwork to him you aren't in that box.  If he decided you were a "real" homeschooler and didn't have the proper paperwork, he might feel he has to turn you in for not doing it right.  He also may want to save you the huge amount of work and hassle he seems to demand of this other lady.    So he may be saying it in order to help you, not as a lack of respect.    Given all of that, I'd probably just let it go and not bring it up again.  If he brings it up, then you might say, "state law allows for different ways  of homeschooling, including doing it through a church group, so that's what I do."  But I'd say as little as possible, because he has a little tiny box of what he thinks that term means.

Sounds like what California calls the "tutoring" option. Legally NO ONE "homeschools" in California. All children educated at home are legally either tutored or enrolled in a private or public school.

If this is true for th state where the OP homeschools, I would, once she "corrected" me again, say, "Fine. At the VERY exclusive private school where I teach my specially selected students..."

• Like 20

Bah, let it go. She's and agent of the state and evidently the state has a definition of what qualifies as a homeschool and what doesn't. You don't fit that definition since you're under a church cover school. Maybe being under a church cover school makes it a whole lot less of a PITB to "homeschool" in your state and I'd just run with that. Imagine having to turn in all the "real homeschooling stuff to prove you're homeschooling" to her and how irritating THAT would be. Who cares what she thinks?!

• Like 2

When we lived in Alabama, we were registered as "legal homeschoolers" under the umbrella cover of a specific church.  The umbrella cover did nothing other than collect our "days of attendance" sheets and hold occasional optional meetings. 

I would avoid contact with this bureaucrat as much as possible.  I hope she is not echoing negativity about homeschooling from OP's mother.

Sorry, I had to run out to take dd13 to dance and am just now returning. We live in Alabama. :) When in doubt, I usually assume that someone doesn't mean to offend. I did ask my mother and she said the Ass't Superintendent did not approve of homeschooling. 

Here's a link to our law:

https://www.homeschool-life.com/1104/custom/14497

She considers only the other homeschooler with a teaching degree to be a real homeschool parent. However, that parent is homeschooling under the private tutor option (which is the only one that requires a teaching certificate). There are other homeschool parents in our area but the Ass't Superintendent doesn't see us as homeschoolers. 

I'm not sure I can drop the word homeschool from my vocabulary. I've been homeschooling for 3 1/2 years (but have never had to discuss the topic with this particular person). I don't mind trying. :) 

I don't know that I can avoid her. Our homeschool law for Alabama changed last year. We now have the option to homeschool as a private school which is what I would prefer. (I think I'm reading the law correctly that says that I can do that). In our area, cover schools have very strict guidelines for curriculum (mostly science and health). The ones that don't typically cost more than I want to pay. So, I asked her how I would go about setting up our homeschool as a private school. 

She told me that I couldn't. She contacted the state dept and I believe they told her differently. (I had spoken to them earlier and they had referred me to the Board of Education). She ended the conversation with them by saying that she hadn't received any direction on how to do something like this and until she did she would follow the law set prior to last July. She said that it wasn't clear at all to her but that she would be happy to meet with me if I could provide clearer guidelines of the state law. She wouldn't accept the link I attached as it came from a homeschool advocacy group.

However, after all of that unpleasantness, she was absolutely lovely in discussing my public school daughter's needs. It was as if she were two different people. 

It's possible that the legal wording means that I'm technically not a homeschool parent. If anyone wants to look it over and help me out, I would appreciate it. Although I've never used HSLDA, it's required to be a member for the cover school we belong to, so I've asked them to clarify the private school/homeschool question. 

At the end of the day, I'm still a homeschool parent, but I admit it hurt my feelings a bit to have her dismiss me so quickly. I work hard and my girls are doing really well. It just bugged me. It must be end of year moodiness. :) 

• Like 4

Sorry, I had to run out to take dd13 to dance and am just now returning. We live in Alabama. :) When in doubt, I usually assume that someone doesn't mean to offend. I did ask my mother and she said the Ass't Superintendent did not approve of homeschooling. 

She considers only the other homeschooler with a teaching degree to be a real homeschool parent. However, that parent is homeschooling under the private tutor option (which is the only one that requires a teaching certificate). There are other homeschool parents in our area but the Ass't Superintendent doesn't see us as homeschoolers. 

I'm not sure I can drop the word homeschool from my vocabulary. I've been homeschooling for 3 1/2 years (but have never had to discuss the topic with this particular person). I don't mind trying. :)

I don't know that I can avoid her. Our homeschool law for Alabama changed last year. We now have the option to homeschool as a private school which is what I would prefer. (I think I'm reading the law correctly that says that I can do that). In our area, cover schools have very strict guidelines for curriculum (mostly science and health). The ones that don't typically cost more than I want to pay. So, I asked her how I would go about setting up our homeschool as a private school. 

She told me that I couldn't. She contacted the state dept and I believe they told her differently. (I had spoken to them earlier and they had referred me to the Board of Education). She ended the conversation with them by saying that she hadn't received any direction on how to do something like this and until she did she would follow the law set prior to last July. She said that it wasn't clear at all to her but that she would be happy to meet with me if I could provide clearer guidelines of the state law. She wouldn't accept the link I attached as it came from a homeschool advocacy group.

However, after all of that unpleasantness, she was absolutely lovely in discussing my public school daughter's needs. It was as if she were two different people. 

It's possible that the legal wording means that I'm technically not a homeschool parent. If anyone wants to look it over and help me out, I would appreciate it. Although I've never used HSLDA, it's required to be a member for the cover school we belong to, so I've asked them to clarify the private school/homeschool question. 

At the end of the day, I'm still a homeschool parent, but I admit it hurt my feelings a bit to have her dismiss me so quickly. I work hard and my girls are doing really well. It just bugged me. It must be end of year moodiness. :)

It may have seemed dismissive (and really it probably was) but just because she doesn't consider you as someone who should get a homeschool label doesn't mean you are providing a substandard education or that anyone would think that.  Was she saying the label was incorrect or that you were providing a substandard education for your children?

I am puzzled as to why she thinks you could and should provide clearer guidelines, yet when she called the State Department she rejected what they told her.  What source would she accept as having authority on this?  She works in education.  Wouldn't the Board of Education website be acceptable?  Does she need lots of hand holding and minutely detailed, clearly written guidelines?  She may.  If so, where might you be able to acquire such a thing that would come from a source she would accept?

• Like 3

If you even have to lay eyes upon a "school bureaucrat", the AL laws have changed significantly since we were there.  (left the state in December 1995)  We met the administrator of the church umbrella school, and signed some papers, following which we needed only submit attendance records.  Nobody asked what curricula we had chosen.  If it makes any difference, we were living in metro-Birmingham. 

If *you* can provide clearer guidelines of the state law ?!?!?! 

What is this person's job description if not to be fully informed on the state's education laws ?!?!?!

• Like 3

It seems she is speaking legally, and you are using the word in a general sense, as most of us do.  We school at home, therefore we are homeschoolers.

I wouldn't drop the word.  :)     It's like if I kept calling myself a Christian (in the general sense), and she kept saying no you are Lutheran.  You must say you are Lutheran because you attend a Lutheran church.  It's ridiculous.

I live in CA, and I talk to new homeschoolers all the time about using proper terminology when they are speaking to any one other than another homeschooler!  My kids even know to use the name of our school when referring to where they attend. 

• Like 3

If you even have to lay eyes upon a "school bureaucrat", the AL laws have changed significantly since we were there.  (left the state in December 1995)  We met the administrator of the church umbrella school, and signed some papers, following which we needed only submit attendance records.  Nobody asked what curricula we had chosen.  If it makes any difference, we were living in metro-Birmingham. 

If *you* can provide clearer guidelines of the state law ?!?!?! 

What is this person's job description if not to be fully informed on the state's education laws ?!?!?!

Apparently the laws regarding homeschooling changed last July, which is why this bureaucrat seems to not be conversant with what to do.

And yes to the bolded.  Seriously.  What a cop out.

• Like 1

I wouldn't drop using that word by any stretch at all or change anything at all!  I would just note that person is a little (a-hem) OCD about their super awesome special legal definition of homeschooling and avoid avoid avoid in their presence if you have to deal with her again. 

Sounds like she's got a chip on her shoulder. The way I see it, you can do one of two things.

You can claim the name. This will result in arguing semantics. I like bolt's idea, as it's much nicer than mine (which would be having a little sign that you can point to that formally specifies you acknowledge the fact she is of the opinion that homeschoolers do not include those who do school at home except in the most specific of circumstances, to which you readily admit to not adhering to, signed by you, and you point to it every time you say the word and she tries to interrupt). 

You ignore using the name. I think Quill's approach is fabulous and if you've got the chutzpah to pull it off with confidence and class, you should absolutely do so. Then tell us all about it.

Either way, you'll end up discussing pertinent issues anyway, which don't include this.

Btw, I get told here, of all places, that I'm not a real parent, so, it takes all kinds (indirectly, but still, eye roll worthy). ;) That's why God invented cold beer and front porches and pleasant sunsets in the spring. 

• Like 4

I think I would phrase (not to her, but to the state dept of education) as to "how do I register a private school?" If you want to go with that option next year.

You seem to have more requirements than in CA. But I see 2 sets of forms to file: 

a. Private schools must register annually by October 10 with the Alabama Department of Education and must complete “uniform blanks†furnished by the Department, “giving such statistics as relate to the number of pupils, the number of instructors, enrollment, attendance, course of study, length of term, cost of tuition, funds, value of property, and the general condition of the school.†Ala. Code § 16-1-11.

b. At the end of the fifth day from the opening of public school, the principal teacher of each private school must report on forms prescribed by the State Superintendent of Education to the county superintendent or city superintendent “the names and addresses of all children of mandatory school attendance age who have enrolled in such schools; and thereafter, throughout the compulsory attendance period, the principal teacher of each school … shall report at least weekly the names and addresses of all children of mandatory school attendance age who enroll in the school or who, having enrolled, were absent without being excused, or whose absence was not satisfactorily explained by the parent, guardian, or other person having control of the child.†Ala. § 16-28-7.

We do ours online.

• Like 2

That's kind of funny!  But I guess if it means you don't have to do as much work regarding the district's regulations (meaning you don't have to "prove" that you are doing your job as a homeschool teacher, since you are not really "homeschooling"), then maybe it's to your advantage...?

In our state, I believe, private and homeschoolers alike have to fill out the same forms stating their intent to not attend public school.  They are kind of lumped together and treated the same way, to an extent. 

I think I would phrase (not to her, but to the state dept of education) as to "how do I register a private school?" If you want to go with that option next year.

You seem to have more requirements than in CA. But I see 2 sets of forms to file: 

a. Private schools must register annually by October 10 with the Alabama Department of Education and must complete “uniform blanks†furnished by the Department, “giving such statistics as relate to the number of pupils, the number of instructors, enrollment, attendance, course of study, length of term, cost of tuition, funds, value of property, and the general condition of the school.†Ala. Code § 16-1-11.

b. At the end of the fifth day from the opening of public school, the principal teacher of each private school must report on forms prescribed by the State Superintendent of Education to the county superintendent or city superintendent “the names and addresses of all children of mandatory school attendance age who have enrolled in such schools; and thereafter, throughout the compulsory attendance period, the principal teacher of each school … shall report at least weekly the names and addresses of all children of mandatory school attendance age who enroll in the school or who, having enrolled, were absent without being excused, or whose absence was not satisfactorily explained by the parent, guardian, or other person having control of the child.†Ala. § 16-28-7.

We do ours online.

This was all I found too. But everything I saw said to file the forms with the ADOE, so I would call them back, tell them your local board rep is being noncooperative and specifically told you she wouldn't help you because she didn't know how, and that the DOE needs to help you now. 

What a ridiculous situation. 

• Like 6