Menu

What do you think of the name Rilla?

AnnE-girl

With all the excitement over the royal baby name, I'm starting my list of possible baby names. I'm only 11 weeks tomorrow, but hey, names are fun. So far the girls names I like are Elinor (spelling from Sense and Sensibility) and Rilla. Is Rilla too unusual? I've never heard of it other than Rilla of Ingleside. I don't care for Marilla, just Rilla. Our last name starts with S, if that makes any difference.

Or at her soccer games, you'll be yelling, "Go Rilla!" 

When I think of Rilla - I think of it like a slang way of saying 'Really' in an Elvis voice, you have to use the Elvis voice.  Like "I rilla,rilla like ice cream."    :leaving:

These made me laugh out loud! :laugh:

My first thought wasn't either of these. I thought of living in TX and folks driving up to Amarilla. (Yes, I know it's Amarillo but that's how people say it.) Not nearly as funny as Elvis.

• Like 6

No, not my style. I don't mind for names to be uncommon (I used two uncommon names), but I don't like it when they sound made-up, which Rilla sounds to me.

I like Elinor, but only because I love the nickname Ellie. The "nor" part of Elinor sounds negative to me, so I would look more at Eliana if I wanted to use Ellie.

• Like 1

I don't like Rilla.

It makes me think of "gorilla" and I can imagine kids calling her "Rilla Gorilla."

Elinor isn't a favorite, either. It sounds dowdy to me.

Sorry. :blush:

Actually, when I saw it in the title, I thought of "vanilla" and then with your post, it became "Rilla the Vanilla Gorilla".  I think there are way too many potential pitfalls with the name. Sorry, OP.

• Like 6

Thanks for the brutal honesty 😄. It's one of those, "this might be crazy, but I like it" things that sometimes needs a reality check. As for Elinor, it was our girl name for DS, but now we have an Ellie on one side of cousins and an Ella on the other, so I'd use the full name. I think this baby is a girl because of how I've been feeling, and partly hoping it is because boy names are even harder. At least we still have lots of time.

• Like 4

Thanks for the brutal honesty 😄. It's one of those, "this might be crazy, but I like it" things that sometimes needs a reality check. As for Elinor, it was our girl name for DS, but now we have an Ellie on one side of cousins and an Ella on the other, so I'd use the full name. I think this baby is a girl because of how I've been feeling, and partly hoping it is because boy names are even harder. At least we still have lots of time.

In that case, I would steer clear of Elinor; I personally would not like them being so similar. What do you think of Evelyn? I love that name.

I don't like Rilla.

It makes me think of "gorilla" and I can imagine kids calling her "Rilla Gorilla."

Sorry. :blush:

Must agree. 

Then there will be "Rilla Gorilla Vanilla". (as noted up-thread)

Uh oh.  . . .  "Rilla Godzilla".   :ack2:

P.S.  I'm responding as an adult who endured hurtful rhyming names throughout early elementary school.  Really crushing to the emerging self-confidence it was.

• Like 1

I like Marilla and I wouldn't care too much about teasing, mainly because if kids want to tease, they'll find a way.

That said, I'm not too keen on Rilla, personally. But it's just a question of taste.

As for Elinor, I think it's lovely.

• Like 1

I like Rilla and, until this thread, never thought of it as being a named to be tease-worthy. It is unique, but anyone who has read the Anne books would recognize it, and the gem of a character behind it.

If you like it, that's what matters!

You don't think William and Catherine went around worrying about Prince George being called "George of the Jungle" someday, do you?

Choose what you like!

• Like 4

Anne is one of my all time favourite (literary) people, so I love Rilla.

Agreed! I think it sounds very pretty.

My girls' name choice was Laine, which DH vetoed, but I never had any girls so I didn't get to defend it to the bitter end. lol. I say if you love the name Rilla then go for it.

I was just thinking about Marilla as a name since I am reading Anne again - I wouldn't use Rilla but if you like it, enjoy. I am also wondering why my second child did not get Anne as a middle name, seems so perfect now. Eleonora is also floating around right now.

20 more weeks, hopefully I will have some more names. And so glad now we are not having 7 when naming #4 is looking like a challenge just generating name ideas. Glad to know I am not alone on finding names.

When I saw Rilla I wasn't sure if it was pronounced like the end of gorilla or a more Spanish pronounciation of Reeya with the double l sounding like y and the i sounding like long e.

So there is also the mispronunciation aspect especially if living near a Hispanic population.

• Like 5

When I saw Rilla I wasn't sure if it was pronounced like the end of gorilla or a more Spanish pronounciation of Reeya with the double l sounding like y and the i sounding like long e.

So there is also the mispronunciation aspect especially if living near a Hispanic population.

I wondered the same thing.

Same here.

Rilla isn't really my style (on my girl list for all of the boys have been Katherine, Abigail, Elizabeth, Julia, Caroline, and Alice, with Joy as the middle), but I like it. Kids will find something to pick on, or not. Nobody calls my one son "Ben the big fat Hen" or something equally ridiculous. I'd go with a longer and more traditional middle name, like Rilla Elizabeth or Rilla Katherine or Rilla Josephine, and really give it a royal sounding feel.

I like Elinor too, although I like the spelling Eleanor better. But I'm kind of a sucker for common spellings, having a very commonly misspelled name myself. And Nora or Nori or even Lainey or Lennie are cute nicknames if you want to avoid Ellie or Ella.

I think one ought to imagine future careers when choosing baby names, if it would sound ridiculous for a Supreme Court justice then it may not be a good choice. 

And the dissenting opinion, from Justice Slartibartfast...

Couldn't help it, sorry! I do agree, though, that it's best to give the whole name rather than just the diminutive. If you really prefer Rilla, OP, maybe it could be a middle name?Actually, I quite like Elinor Rilla.

• Like 2

I am not a fan of nicknames as stand-alone names. Then the poor kid always has to endure the question, "What's it short for?" 

Elinor I do like very much!

I agree! My name is Beth and that is my name. It is not short for Elizabeth and I had to go through that so many times growing up. I even had an adult argue with me who said it was impossible for me to be called Beth on my birth certificate. How do you argue with an adult when you are a child? I was intimidated but did keep telling her Elizabeth just was not my name.

I'm a mega Anne fan, so that's why I immediately recognized it, and how it would be pronounced.

I guess it depends...Do you live in PEI? :lol:

I wish! My dad took me there when I was a teenager since I loved the "Anne" books so much, but I haven't managed to get back there.