Menu

has anyone used airbnb?

bettyandbob

I'm trying to save a little money. I'd be on my own. dh is worried about safety and I think he thinks it's creepy (staying in someone's house). I am accompanying ds to a special olympics event, but i'm not a chaperone so I can't stay with him. I need a place to sleep. I expect to be away from where ever I am stay between the hours of 7 am and 11 pm. This is the first time ds will stay somewhere without me so I plan to help out with getting him to bed and in the morning (he may not need help, I may just need reassurrance that he can do it without me). We did this trip last year and I was a chaperone, so it is a familiar environment for ds. Other parents get to chaperone this year. 

Anyway...

So, I found a place very close to where I need to be. The host is a couple. There were a few other places, but they were all hosted by single men and I wouldn't be comfortable with that at all.

Is staying alone with airbnb just a bad idea altogether?. 

• Like 1

We used it twice overseas and loved it. I picked places with lots of excellent reviews. We rented out the whole space both times though. I would feel a little more unsettled sharing space, but I would probably still do it if I needed to save money as long as the reviews were good.

• Like 2

I haven't used this service but based on my DH's experience I would probably try it out. A couple months ago he and his cousin rented a room in a shared house during a trip overseas and had a good experience. I would only stay somewhere with many positive reviews, with several of those reviews needing to be made regarding recent stays. If traveling on my own, I would only stay someplace hosted by a couple.

• Like 1

We've used it three times so far:

Ashville, NC

Newport, OR

San Francisco (actually El Cerrito), CA

We have loved our experiences and would definitely do it again. I have looked at staying at places on my own now that I have a better feel for how the system works and would feel very comfortable doing so with good ratings. The single man thing probably wouldn't worry me as many hosts are not on the property.

We have met two of our sets of host in person and they were delightful people with some shared interests. I also follow a blog called "Senior Nomads" where the couple uses Airbnb for their international travel. Dh and I would love to do that a few years down the road.

• Like 2

Diana, if it were me, I would probably look for a private room in a house that suited my aesthetic and budget. Look for a real bed, linens, any of the extras. It really depends on you. Because I have had good experiences, I would probably try a room in house with hosts who had similar interests. When we chose places, I checked out all of the photos and the amenities and the parking situation. If hosts talked about scent-free linen and espaliered fruit trees in the garden along with their rain barrels, I figured we'd be good. The reviews were critical and clean had to show up a couple of times. I tend to like funky and can work with old houses, but I don't do dirt. At our El Cerrito house, our hosts had fresh, homemade lemonade from the trees in the garden. They had dozens of great sight-seeing suggestions which really smoothed out our stay.

For my husband and myself, part of the appeal is meeting the natives if the hosts are on hand. Good hosts will give you all the space and help you need at the same time. We'd go back and stay at all three places in a heartbeat. I can't wait to book another place. Good luck. If you need help looking, I can help you look by pm.

• Like 1

I have looked into it myself for when I have to go visit my Mom who is in assisted living & my sister (who smokes), but I haven't tried it yet.  I couldn't find one that was actually cheaper than a cheap, safe motel after fees and everything.  But if I did and it looked safe & clean, had good reviews, etc.  I would totally do it to save money.

I would have a Plan B though just in case you were uncomfortable once you got there.

• Like 2

Just be prepared for your ds to want to get rid of you :- . I went to SO with my 3 this past winter and they welcomed me at their events and then bluntly told me to go away as they did not need me :-). Your sin might be different buy it was cute having the kids tell me they did not want mom following them. They loved their independence there.

• Like 2

I have looked into it myself for when I have to go visit my Mom who is in assisted living & my sister (who smokes), but I haven't tried it yet.  I couldn't find one that was actually cheaper than a cheap, safe motel after fees and everything.  But if I did and it looked safe & clean, had good reviews, etc.  I would totally do it to save money if the place looked clean and safe and had good reviews. 

I would have a Plan B though just in case you were uncomfortable once you got there.

If it's just you, a private room is definitely more affordable, but can be comparable to a motel. Many rooms run from $35-$80 depending on location. Motels in that price range usually have outside access, which makes me a bit more uncomfortable on my own and explains why I would be willing to check out someone's home with good recommendations.

In our situation, we needed space for 3-4 people for basically a base camp. In NC, we were visiting my 94 yo MIL and she wasn't always up to visitors, so we had a good place to retreat to at those times instead of sitting in a lounge at the nursing home or sitting in a hotel room. Also, extended family that were staying in hotel rooms could come for meals or conversation. In renting a house, we easily compensate for the slightly extra charge by not eating out nearly as much. Our place in San Francisco was similar in rate to a mid-range hotel, but a much superior experience.

• Like 1

There are several hotels on the outskirts of Richmond that are inexpensive, as long as you have access to a car and can get to the venue easily. 

No, he'll be in a college dorm. Only athletes and chaperones can stay. This is Univ of Richmond.

• Like 2

We have used airbnb in Chicago, rural Nebraska, Colorado Rockies, Milwaukee, and Greenville, SC. We love it. Sometimes we have rented a whole house/apartment, sometimes a room. It is not like a traditional hotel stay, but we enjoy meeting the hosts (have met some really lovely people), having use of a kitchen (not always available), and of course saving money. I have always felt safe.

• Like 3

We have used airbnb twice. The first was with my husband and daughter. We had our own separate door and quarters to the owner's house. We met the owner as more of a formality. They were there if we needed anything. I just returned from a trip by myself (to the same college town) in which I stayed at a different airbnb. This time I had a room upstairs off the laundry room. I had my own private entrance and it was perfect for me, as I just needed a place to sleep.  My husband probably would not travel this way by himself,  but if I had to travel again by myself, I would go there again. I met the owner, again, more as a formality, and I think it helps them to know as well who they are renting to.This arrangement is based on trust for both parties involved. I think reading reviews helps in deciding where to stay, but would be cautious about staying at a male owner's house if by myself. I saved over $20 each night by staying at an airbnb over a hotel.

Other suggestions you might consider: staying at a cabin at a KOA type camp, sharing a hotel room with another parent, a college dorm if this is during the summer, or other outdoor education type center.

I think frame of mind helps. I looked at my recent trip as an adventure for myself. I loved every bit of it, but I am not sure any of my girlfriends, if they traveled by themselves, would be as comfortable with a shared house. 

I think neighbors we are friendly with who live one long block from us have done this. My wife is out of town so I can't ask her as I type this. My wife has also mentioned the woman talking about "couch surfing".  I think they have had people stay in their home and I suspect they have stayed in other peoples homes. A few years ago, the DH and their oldest DD took a trip to Patagonia from here, by bus. They stayed in many different places and I suspect some of them were in peoples homes.

I wanted to add that I have frequently contacted the owner with questions before reserving lodging. You could email the couple of the listing you're interested in (through airbnb—click on their name and you will find the link to contact them on their profile page). You could ask if the area is safe late at night when you would be returning, if there is off-street parking, etc. According to your comfort level, you could even tell them you are new at this and a little uncertain about the airbnb experience.