Menu

After Explode The code 8

moonlight

What should my 8 year old do.

We are doing AAS 1 that I am happy with.

I am not confident in his reading by himself yet so we will have him doing some daily reading aloud to me and his little brother. And some reading to himself which he already does.

We do WWE 2 and FLL, but I'm not thrilled with either program. We keep doing it cause I don't really know what else to try.

Please don't suggest Treasured Conversations as I am not in The US and can't get it...

Must be secular. Maybe something with reading comprehension? Something gentle. Maybe a workbook? He likes knowing there is an end in sight...

Thanks!

I think you are on the right track with having him read to you daily. If he struggles with some words, show him those with the letter tiles--show him how to chunk the word into syllables, or what letters are working together to make one sound (phonograms) and so on. If you want something more directed, since AAS is going well, you could look at AAR to see if that's a fit. That has teaching lessons laid out for you and includes vocabulary and reading comprehension. Check out the placement tests and some of the sample stories to see what level he can read fluently, and what things need more review/practice. AAR goes up to high school level word-attack skills.

• 5 weeks later...

All About Reading! All About Reading works perfectly together with ETC and AAS. We did all at the same time, but if ETC hasn't been enough that's what I would do. Also the "Beyond the Code" workbooks are not meant to be used after Explode the Code, they actually are meant to go along with the first 3-4 books of ETC. They just focus on different skills (more comprehension stuff).