Menu

New 9th Grader Next Year - Scared to Death!!!

I live in Missouri and wanted some advice/help for planning my 9th grade year for my son...I am completely freaked out! We have been roughly following AO and he is finishing up Year 7. Do I need to move to a more text book approach. We have IEW but we need to pull it out again and started LOF grammar (I have first 2 books) but it seemed too easy. He has done Latin for 2 years using Cambridge Latin. He is doing a mixture of CTC Math and Life of Fred, plus working through Understanding Algebra 1 by Critical Thinking. 

Any idea or help would be great.

I would make sure that he is getting classes to fill in spots on his transcript - math, english, science, health/pe (if needed), social studies, language, elective(s).  

A textbook approach for some might be a good idea to give him the practice, but as long as he has the content and hours needed for the credit, he should be fine.  

No, you don't have to move to a more "textbook" approach.  I'm not familiar with AO, but the main things you want to focus on would be more writing (not necessarilly longer papers, just more frequent papers...my high schooler writes a paper in English every 6 weeks, and a paper in history every week).  I don't know anything about LoF Grammar, either -- but the transition in high school is more on a use of grammar than huge chunks of time studying it.  I'm using Michael Clay Thompson's Magic Lens and Word within the Word for grammar review -- and really focusing on vocabulary and use of the grammar through composition.  I'm also using Killgallon to help reinforce grammar and variance in writing styles (kids tend to get bogged down with very basic stuf).  I don't use IEW, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't.

For science, you may want a more "traditional" path, simply because it's a bit easier to navigate.  Which science he does should be based upon math level and interest (there are some very recent threads here on science that will point you in the right direction).

Math...I'm sorry, I don't know what CTC is, either.  I have Fred, but we don't use it as a stand-alone.  My older son has done better with a bit more direct instruction.  Some love Fred at this level, some hate Fred at this level -- but there are lots of solid math curriculums to look at as well. (Jacob's, Forester's, Lial's, Chalkdust, AoPS...just scratching the surface).  Where your son needs to land in math will depend upon your goals/his learning style and his interests.  

It will be okay... I promise :D

• Like 1

Hi!

Take a deep breath and then another one.

Start with this thread

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/544677-what-is-your-9th-grader-doing-for-school-next-year/

It's a really great list of resources that other high schoolers are planning to use for the fall.  No, you don't have to switch to textbooks.  Yes, you do want to map out classes with a thought to preparing a transcript at the end (not that hard).  It is always a good idea to look at colleges your child might be interested in and instate colleges and see what courses they require incoming high school students to have taken.

Best Wishes!  I'm starting my last high schooler this year and I definitely feel the high school years are the most interesting for home schooling!