Menu

Prima Latina

My4arrows

When I taught it I only used the student workbook and the pronunciation CD and nothing else. It is pretty gentle and doesn't require much more. However, with each successive level of Memoria Press Latin, I've had to invest more in the teacher's manuals, DVDs, and answer keys. I have made my own color coded flash cards and charts.

We made our own flash cards, because research shows writing to be helpful in memory work. We did the dvds and the two books (TM/student). The dvds were boring. They did, however, make pronouncing the words easier. We played games with our word cards, too--you can make your own Latin bingo/lotto, matching cards (one set Latin, one set English, then play Go Fish or Old Maid or just put face down and match), etc.

Echoing previous posters:  You don't need the flashcards. Have the kids make their own as they are moving through the program.

If you are even somewhat comfortable with Latin, you don't need the DVD. (I think the pronunciation was awful on the DVDs. Latin with a Southern accent? Ugh!) We use the CD for review in the car, so I found it useful. Your mileage may vary on that one. (I lent out my Latina Christiana stuff last summer & got everything back but the CD. So, I've done LC this year without the CD. I've missed it, but the kids haven't.  :driving: )

We used PL this year using the TM (which I haven't really needed), the student book, and the DVDs. I used the DVDs because I know nothing about Latin, and they are dry but effective. Leigh Lowe teaches it herself, and the kids thinks she's funny because she makes mistakes :)

You can find the flashcards all online on sites like Quizlet  https://quizlet.com/28515818/flashcards

Here are the vocab flashcards for lessons 1-5.  I am pretty sure that in The Latin Centered Curriculum (first edition ebook version) they recommend that K or 1st grade you just use flashcards and learn the words.  You don't need to make any purchases to get started. 

Echoing previous posters:  You don't need the flashcards. Have the kids make their own as they are moving through the program.

If you are even somewhat comfortable with Latin, you don't need the DVD. (I think the pronunciation was awful on the DVDs. Latin with a Southern accent? Ugh!) We use the CD for review in the car, so I found it useful. Your mileage may vary on that one. (I lent out my Latina Christiana stuff last summer & got everything back but the CD. So, I've done LC this year without the CD. I've missed it, but the kids haven't.  :driving: )

This is a personal preference.  I think it sounds great.

When we started, I knew nothing about Latin. Not the structure of the language, vocabulary, pronunciation.... Nothing! So I got the DVD. And I am glad I did. I hadn't want to have to figure out the teacher's manual every lesson. Now I have a kid in Second Form, one in First Form, and dd just finished Prima Latina and is starting Latina Christiana and I am glad I can watch the DVDs with them. It has taught me a lot. It was definitely worth the investment. Besides, I just buy 1 DVD and all the kids coming up after use it, so it's not like it's a huge financial commitment.

• Like 1

Ok, so I'll definitely grab the student books and CD to help with pronunciation since I haven't taken Latin previously.  Southern accent teaching latin?  hmm...that could be a little confusing!  We may skip the DVDs then. Thanks for the help!

. Southern accent teaching latin? hmm...that could be a little confusing! !

Oh, we love Leigh. I don't know why people have such a problem with her. It's not like a total southern drawl. I think her accent is rather mild. She's cute, although she does go on and on and on a bit. Some people may not like that, but we don't mind. And we love Glenn in the First and Second Form Videos. He such a geek, but he's funny. He uses a lot of Lego illustrations and wears rear view glasses occasionally.

I see some say 'Teacher's Guide and CD' and others 'Student Workbook and CD'.

What's in the TG that's not in the SW and vica versa?

All of the instruction in Prima Latina and Latina Christiana is in the TM, not the student book. The program is much more than vocab lists and exercises, which is all that is in the student book. I don't know how a person could use either program without at least the TM (I found the DVD's vital since they contain so much more information and explanation than the TM's).

• Like 1

When I taught it I only used the student workbook and the pronunciation CD and nothing else. It is pretty gentle and doesn't require much more. However, with each successive level of Memoria Press Latin, I've had to invest more in the teacher's manuals, DVDs, and answer keys. I have made my own color coded flash cards and charts.

Just wondering how you did this without the TM? ;) I love saving some money :P

All of the instruction in Prima Latina and Latina Christiana is in the TM, not the student book. The program is much more than vocab lists and exercises, which is all that is in the student book. I don't know how a person could use either program without at least the TM (I found the DVD's vital since they contain so much more information and explanation than the TM's).

This...

Just a clarification:  If you haven't had any Latin previously, I recommend the DVDs. I absolutely needed them the first time through the program. If you have some Latin background, you probably won't need them and I don't think they are necessary.

[i really enjoy the First/Second Form DVD teacher. Haven't seen the Third Form DVDs yet.]

• Like 2

I just did a review of this program here if you are interested:   http://theattachedmama.blogspot.com/2015/03/memoria-press-prima-latina-review.html

It shows some added pictures of the inside of the teachers manual, copywork book, student book, etc.

PERSONALLY, I would want to have the SG, TG, and at least the CDs if not the DVDs.

Thank you for the link to your blog!  I've seen it before, but seeing it again helped so much!

Have any of you used this with first graders like the Latin Centered Curriculum suggests?  If so what were your goals?  What did you do?

I like the Latin Centered Curriculum, but I don't start Prima Latina with my kids until 3rd grade. By that time they are fluent readers and have had a year of Rod & Staff grammar. I can't imagine using it with a child that is still learning how to read, is still learning penmanship (the PL student book does not have primary lines), and has not yet learned the basic parts of speech. It could be done, but it would be much, much harder than if the child was a little older. For my kids, starting the MP Latin sequence in 3rd grade is just right.

• Like 2

I like the Latin Centered Curriculum, but I don't start Prima Latina with my kids until 3rd grade. By that time they are fluent readers and have had a year of Rod & Staff grammar. I can't imagine using it with a child that is still learning how to read, is still learning penmanship (the PL student book does not have primary lines), and has not yet learned the basic parts of speech. It could be done, but it would be much, much harder than if the child was a little older. For my kids, starting the MP Latin sequence in 3rd grade is just right.

I've been going back and forth trying to decide whether to do Prima Latina with my daughter next year for second grade - she is a fluent reader well above grade level, knows basic grammar and actually does better with penmanship if she doesn't have to write with the primary lines. So would those be the prerequisite skills you think are necessary?

How much time do you take with it each day?

Both in answer to mamabear's question & to those who might be ordering Prima, the next question is usually, "how do you schedule it?"

I found it rather fun to see many of the posters from this thread on these past ones, including me.  :lol:  If you want to see how some of us scheduled it and how long we took on it (when mentioned), read on:

What does your Prima Latina schedule look like?

Prima Latina

Memoria Press Prima Latina

Prima Latina schedule

Prima Latina

Prima Latina Weekly Routine -- What is yours?

• Like 3

There are only 25 lessons and 4 exams in PL. We did the cd every Monday and Tuesday only and I let the kids recite the rest of the week, I use the TM, the kids use the student book, and they are not using the copybook because I don't like the cursive way of the New American Cursive.

I bought the dvd and flashcard only this February (in addition to my other MP purchase...free shipping month).

We use the dvd everyday now as a review after the 25 lessons and 4 exams. We will continue until we reach 36th week of our school year.

I also purchased the flash card in February but have not use it yet. My first grader will repeat PL next year because he had a hard time with the spelling and he will use it then. My 2nd grader will continue with LC1 next school year and MP also sells Latin certificate with the child's name, so, I will buy that soon for my 2nd grader.

I've been going back and forth trying to decide whether to do Prima Latina with my daughter next year for second grade - she is a fluent reader well above grade level, knows basic grammar and actually does better with penmanship if she doesn't have to write with the primary lines. So would those be the prerequisite skills you think are necessary?

How much time do you take with it each day?

Those are the skills I think are necessary. Students at the Highlands Latin School begin PL in 2nd grade, so it definitely can be done with the right student. The next question would be if you think she will be ready for First Form Latin in 4th grade...it involves a lot more daily work than PL or LC. Both PL and LC have some vocab drill/chants and 1-2 short exercises a day (10-15 minutes, not counting the video once a week), but FFL has 1-2 pages of exercises daily plus vocab drill/chants - easily 45 minutes of intense work. There is a huge jump in the expected output from the student when they reach FFL, and my only criticism of the program...I have to slowly increase the amount of work in LC (using the extra worksheets and activity book) over the year so that by the time they reach FFL there isn't an obviouse increase in the amount of work.

Those are the skills I think are necessary. Students at the Highlands Latin School begin PL in 2nd grade, so it definitely can be done with the right student. The next question would be if you think she will be ready for First Form Latin in 4th grade...it involves a lot more daily work than PL or LC. Both PL and LC have some vocab drill/chants and 1-2 short exercises a day (10-15 minutes, not counting the video once a week), but FFL has 1-2 pages of exercises daily plus vocab drill/chants - easily 45 minutes of intense work. There is a huge jump in the expected output from the student when they reach FFL, and my only criticism of the program...I have to slowly increase the amount of work in LC (using the extra worksheets and activity book) over the year so that by the time they reach FFL there isn't an obviouse increase in the amount of work.

I was looking through the teacher's manual today and decided that I'm going to wait another year - I'm tired and don't feel like studying Latin myself and I don't expect to be any less tired in the fall with a 2 month old, so I'll just make the whole thing easier by waiting until 3rd grade to start Latin.

• Like 1