Menu

Is it normal to cough a lot after

I found the sheet that came with my inhaler, the one with the side effects. Coughing, wheezing, and shortness of breath after using the inhaler are listed as reasons to consult your doctor. Is there an after hours line you can call?

I found the sheet that came with my inhaler, the one with the side effects. Coughing, wheezing, and shortness of breath after using the inhaler are listed as reasons to consult your doctor. Is there an after hours line you can call?

Probably.  I've never called it but I think if I call the office there should be an answering service which could get me in touch with an on-call doc.  I'm not wheezing or short of breath though.  I don't feel like I"m having a hard time breathing.  It's just an annoying cough.  I think I can just not use any more until I check.  Of course if things changed and got worse I would call.  Dh (an RN) is at work right now but I can ask him too when he gets home.  

Thanks.  But may I risk being accused of contradicting myself by saying despite these worrisome developments I actually felt better today than I have in a very long time?  I actually just vacuumed the hallway and stairs.  I haven't vacuumed in months.  My dh will be so happy when he gets home!  (He's been doing it.)

• Like 4

Thanks.  But may I risk being accused of contradicting myself by saying despite these worrisome developments I actually felt better today than I have in a very long time?  I actually just vacuumed the hallway and stairs.  I haven't vacuumed in months.  My dh will be so happy when he gets home!  (He's been doing it.)

Jean, you are incorrigible! Don't you know that you are supposed to lean back, surf the board, sniff some essential oils, lick some coconut off a spoon and eat Kefir for your tummy???????

I am only partially kidding...:) Hope you have a restful night.

• Like 4

Jean, you are incorrigible! Don't you know that you are supposed to lean back, surf the board, sniff some essential oils, lick some coconut off a spoon and eat Kefir for your tummy???????

I am only partially kidding... :) Hope you have a restful night.

Hey, Albuterol might make me cough, but it also gives me energy.   :lol:

I think there's proof from my post count that I do lean back and surf the board quite a bit. . .. 

And I didn't have kefir today but I did have the "good" kind of yogurt!  And my probiotic/ Florator combo.  Plus, my neighbor got me some Culturelle from Costco.  

• Like 2

Remember, friends had to clean my bathrooms for me. That you vacuumed is HUGE. Yay! I'm so sorry about the sores and coughing, though. What a mess, friend :(

I'm praying you feel better and these symptoms resolve. :grouphug:

I had to stop the inhaler for Albuterol as it did nothing for my wheezing....I use a steroid inhaler now and it works.  Flo-somethingorother.  Not everyone has success with Albuterol.

If you have not seen a pulmonologist, I would want to see one to discuss. Steroid inhalers are great for long term control of asthma but are not used as rescue inhalers which help with acute shortness of breath. Albuterol is usually used as rescue inhaler but I recall there are one or two other drugs as well. Everyone with asthma should have a rescue inhaler in addition to a steroid inhaler of some sort from what I understand. We used albuterol all the time in the hospital and I have never seen worsening of breathing with it. I can see that it might cause coughing after use as it may help loosen up secretions and open airways. which would be a good thing and temporary. I would speak to your doctor since coughing can be due to numerous other things and albuterol or xopenex are usually a good drugs for most folks.

DD uses Flovent daily (aerosolized Flonase) and albuterol as needed. No coughing with the albuterol here; just a jumping out of the shoes feeling. Hope your cough improves, Jean!

I had to stop the inhaler for Albuterol as it did nothing for my wheezing....I use a steroid inhaler now and it works. Flo-somethingorother. Not everyone has success with Albuterol.

The steroid inhaler did make me puke. I had to remember not to eat for more than an hour before/after the steroid inhaler.

Also the taste was yucky so I actually used mouth rinse to rinse out the taste.

Hope you feel better today.

I'm actually doing pretty well.  I ended up still using the inhaler today and found that I'm having a lot less coughing with it so maybe I just had to get used to it.  Or maybe it had released some stuff at first.  This new antibiotic is making me feel better than the other antibiotics so I hope that means it is working.  I overdid it today though so I'm pretty tired tonight.  I'm going to bed soon.  

• Like 4

I'm actually doing pretty well.  I ended up still using the inhaler today and found that I'm having a lot less coughing with it so maybe I just had to get used to it.  Or maybe it had released some stuff at first.  This new antibiotic is making me feel better than the other antibiotics so I hope that means it is working.  I overdid it today though so I'm pretty tired tonight.  I'm going to bed soon.  

I'm glad you're feeling better. Hopefully it is a new trend.  :thumbup:

• Like 1

I posted this before, but I don't see my post.  Sorry if this is a repeat:

I'm glad you're feeling better, but if you need to continue with the Albuterol, or if you need it again in the future, ask for a diffuser.  Albuterol gives me terrible coughing fits if I spray it directly onto the back of my throat.  But, if I take it through a diffuser, it mixes with the air in the 2 inch diameter tube, and goes deeper into my lungs, releaving my bronchitis without causing spasms in my throat.

ETA: "releaving", not releasing my bronchitis

• Like 2

I don't know anything about those. Would I ask the doctor about it?

It is covered by insurance if your doctor prescribe the nebulizer for home use. There are things to set up and clean, but usually more effective than the inhaler. I have used the nebulizer at ER or doctor's office. When out and about, the inhaler is more convenient for me.

My daughter reacts to the propellent (the new environmentally friendly ones) in inhalers!  Even with a diffuser, any inhaler would irriatate her throat/vocal chords and send her into coughing fits.  Many people have similar reactions although it is not typically tracked/reported by the medical community.  My daughter takes the same medicine via portable, battery powered nebulizer with absolutely no problems.  Nebulizers also tend to get higher doses of the albuterol and steroids in deeper, so they tend to work better than inhalers.

Jean I hope you are feeling better today.

My son just finished his treatment of xoponex used with the  nebulizer.Yes you get it either at your Dr's or at the pharmacy.Nebulizers are used to deliver medication directly to the lungs and that helps the lungs in a faster way with more medicine and higher frequency. :grouphug: 

Mominco, thanks for asking.  The albuterol thing is really one of the smallest things in my health situation right now.  But it is going ok.  I found and am using the spacer.  I seem to have found a schedule for using the inhaler that covers the times I'm most active and yet helps me to sleep.  I appreciate everyone's advice on this thread.  Oh, and I'm not coughing like I did.  The hardest thing, actually is taking the breath in when I press the button for the inhaler and holding it.  I tend to want to cough explosively right at that moment every single time.  

The hardest thing, actually is taking the breath in when I press the button for the inhaler and holding it. I tend to want to cough explosively right at that moment every single time.

Ask to be prescribed a nebulizer for home use. See if that works better for you than the inhaler with spacer.

• Like 2