Menu

How are the AP testers holding up?

My son didn't say. He took the physics exam and was too busy complaining about the delay, the weather, his teacher, life in general, etc. lol.

Anyway, here is something from the AP website that might help anyone who's taking the bio exam later:

https://apstudent.collegeboard.org/apcourse/ap-biology/calculator-policy

Four-function calculators have a one line display and a simple layout of numeric keys (e.g., 0–9), arithmetic operation keys (e.g., +, -, ×, and ÷), and a limited number of special-use keys (e.g., %, +/-, C, and AC). Simple memory buttons like MC, M+, M-, and MR may also be included on a four-function calculator. â€¦ In contrast to scientific calculators, four-function calculators do not include trigonometric and logarithmic functions, statistical capabilities, or graphing capabilities.

I suppose students cannot bring in the cool calculators from my day that played tunes.

• Like 4

My son didn't say. He took the physics exam and was too busy complaining about the delay, the weather, his teacher, life in general, etc. lol.

Anyway, here is something from the AP website that might help anyone who's taking the bio exam later:

https://apstudent.collegeboard.org/apcourse/ap-biology/calculator-policy

I suppose students cannot bring in the cool calculators from my day that played tunes.

Sailor Dude went in with a 6"x10" calculator with a pen holder attached. It was a free gift from some company over 20 years ago and still works thanks to the solar capability. I like it for balancing the checkbook thanks to the big buttons. It's really cool, not. :tongue_smilie:

• Like 6

I was looking on info for APUSH and ran into this. Thought it would make some of the recovering testers smile.

The Gadsden Purchase

:lol: I sent ds the link. It will probably terrify the poor kid, APUSH is in next years plans for him.

Edit: Not sure what happened, when I quoted I ended up with the tv screen youtube showing. Hopefully managed to get rid of it.

• Like 1

Thanks all, the patient is home and working through a review book.  At this point antibiotics and staying hydrated are the key.  Hopefully the test will be ok in the end. We're just going to take it one day at a time. So-- discussing exam material with medical staff isn't part of the normal AP prep huh--too bad it wasn't biology or chemistry.   :unsure:

• Like 8

Thanks all, the patient is home and working through a review book.  At this point antibiotics and staying hydrated are the key.  Hopefully the test will be ok in the end. We're just going to take it one day at a time. So-- discussing exam material with medical staff isn't part of the normal AP prep huh--too bad it wasn't biology or chemistry.   :unsure:

:grouphug: Hoping for a speedy recovery and good test results.

Okay, ds is done browsing Barnes and Nobles so I need to stop posting from the laptop and make the not insignificant drive home. He is happy it's over, and as usual with him, has no idea how he did which means he got a 4 or 5 LOL! Man I am enjoying the coffee and quiet though....sniff, sniff. Yes my son, we are leaving. Sigh.....

• Like 4

Thanks all, the patient is home and working through a review book. At this point antibiotics and staying hydrated are the key. Hopefully the test will be ok in the end. We're just going to take it one day at a time. So-- discussing exam material with medical staff isn't part of the normal AP prep huh--too bad it wasn't biology or chemistry. :unsure:

:grouphug:

No exams here today, but my son does have a *sore throat.* Cough, playing hooky, cough. And weirdly, his girlfriend had to go home early because today's a bad allergy day for her. He's studying with her now.

• Like 3

No exams here today, but my son does have a *sore throat.* Cough, playing hooky, cough. And weirdly, his girlfriend had to go home early because today's a bad allergy day for her. He's studying with her now.

My dad always blamed these sorts of things on spring fever.  I've inherited it from him.

Then, of course, it spreads sometimes (not just used for "real" reasons).

• Like 3

This made me smile. I am sure that my ds will also have a "sore throat" and be unable to attend his biology class the morning of the Macroeconomics exam.

How fun that your son's girlfriend is taking the same class or is studying just as hard for the APs.

• Like 3

Just picked up my ds13 from the AP US Gov exam, his very first AP. I think I was at least as nervous as he was. Our local school was very welcoming and helpful. He's the only homeschooler taking an exam this year so they knew him instantly by name. He self-studied for it with help from me and Thinkwell. Doing several full practice tests prior to the real one was very helpful but next time we will definitely spend more time nailing down the free responses. I pity the test graders who have to read his handwriting. I admonished him to use his best handwriting before the exam but he said he started out neatly but by the end he reverted to his usual less than legible script.

• Like 7

With high scores on previous exams it sounds like your dd is a hard worker with high standards and expectations. It might be encouraging to look at the curve scales on APPass.com to see how much she could get wrong and still pass. http://appass.com/calculators/comparativegov

How had I missed this website? That was so helpful! Ds has been terribly afraid he wouldn't pass (3) his AP exam, but according to that site, his lowest score on a practice test is a solid 3 and his highest is a 5. His typical is a 4 which would be wonderful for him. 

Thank you so much for posting it Sebastian.

• Like 3

Son is home from the AP English Language exam, and he finished all 3 essays! WooHoo! That was one of the biggest challenges he has faced in school, and we are thrilled that he prevailed in the end. He is not a slow thinker by any means...just a slow, methodical handwriter whose print resembles a computer printout. lol! 

Glad to be finished! He just has a few more lessons and exam in DO precalc, and then it is summer, summer, summer! :-)

A continued "good luck" to those with exams remaining!

• Like 6

Son is home from the AP English Language exam, and he finished all 3 essays! WooHoo! That was one of the biggest challenges he has faced in school, and we are thrilled that he prevailed in the end. He is not a slow thinker by any means...just a slow, methodical handwriter whose print resembles a computer printout. lol! 

Glad to be finished! He just has a few more lessons and exam in DO precalc, and then it is summer, summer, summer! :-)

A continued "good luck" to those with exams remaining!

Three essays in two hours is quite an accomplishment!  Kudos to your son!

Ds came home from AP Eng Lang thinking he did pretty well.  We'll know in July...

• Like 4

Tomorrow DS16 is taking APWH, and I worry. He is very low key about all his studies, which has its good and bad sides. Last week he discovered he had 10 more assignments to do for the online class, through NU-CTD. Ten is ALOT-- one assignment includes defining terms plus 3-4 essay questions. He groaned, sagged in his chair, "It's so much work," he said. Then he figured out if he did 2 a day he would finish by the Tuesday before the test. Which gives him one day-- today for test prep. He had done one MC practice test and got to a 3 with the MC, so we figure he can push it up with the essays. Today he is outlining a bunch of essays from a prep book so he is in practice for fast thinking and. He said the APWH is set up just like the AP Psych test, on which he got a 5 last year. So I am crossing my fingers. Of course right now he is outside taking a walk in the beautiful weather. I bought him '5" gum, trail mix and his favorite snacks to get him through the day.

This will be his last AP test and his last online class. He has been taking online classes since he was 10 (not exclusively, just in the mix) and he is so so tired of online learning. Also tired of our coop, which is mostly younger kids. So at lunch we looked at the CC courses for next year.

Really, really hoping everything will work out.

Maria

• Like 4

Gahhh.

I discovered DS16 the Wise Fool was not actually outlining APWH questions as much as just looking at them. He groaned that the essays were harder than he thought they would be. Not sure if this is due to lack of prep in the course or his personal lack of commitment. The test is TOMORROW! I set the kitchen timer and am sitting in the kitchen while he works through the practice essays. Lots of dramatic sighing and sad looks on his side of the room. Silent gnashing of teeth and perky "you can do it" tones on my side. We are both so too old for this.

World history is not his favorite class-- the plan was to do this online class and self-study for AP Art History together, then take the tests. But he bailed early on the Art History-- he's bipolar and in the fall he began declining into a depression. His therapist suggested cutting back on the APs, so we cut the Art History as that was home study. Christmas break saw him in a depression, but then he climbed out of it. He got a B on the APWH class at the semester, and this semester he has been getting 100 percents on all his assignments. But right now he seems in a fog. Is it the bipolarism? Or just being a 16 yo boy on a sunny day in May? 

Gaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhh.

Maria

Ds has now taken his one and only AP exam. He thought it went great. I'm as glad it is over as he is. He is now a high school graduate! We're celebrating tonight.

:party: Congratulations to your son  and here's to you, Mom, for a job well done! :cheers2:

• Like 2

Gahhh.

I discovered DS16 the Wise Fool was not actually outlining APWH questions as much as just looking at them. He groaned that the essays were harder than he thought they would be. Not sure if this is due to lack of prep in the course or his personal lack of commitment. The test is TOMORROW! I set the kitchen timer and am sitting in the kitchen while he works through the practice essays. Lots of dramatic sighing and sad looks on his side of the room. Silent gnashing of teeth and perky "you can do it" tones on my side. We are both so too old for this.

World history is not his favorite class-- the plan was to do this online class and self-study for AP Art History together, then take the tests. But he bailed early on the Art History-- he's bipolar and in the fall he began declining into a depression. His therapist suggested cutting back on the APs, so we cut the Art History as that was home study. Christmas break saw him in a depression, but then he climbed out of it. He got a B on the APWH class at the semester, and this semester he has been getting 100 percents on all his assignments. But right now he seems in a fog. Is it the bipolarism? Or just being a 16 yo boy on a sunny day in May? 

Gaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhh.

Maria

:grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug:  to you both.

• Like 1

Gahhh.

Gaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhh.

Maria

I'll send hugs too.

I also found it hard to gin up motivation in the week before the tests.  

• Like 1

OK. Turns out that he says he IS prepared, or at least he is prepared as he felt a year ago before the AP Psych. He's doing some light review tonight and then going to bed early. Whew.

We are going to an Indian restaurant afterwards to celebrate.

Maria

• Like 6

Sailor Dude returned home from the Statistics test happy and relaxed. I hope that is a good sign and not an overestimation of his skill level. Anyway, 3 down and 1 to go tomorrow.

Just a reminder for those of you looking for a place to test next year, if you were happy with this year's testing site, drop the coordinator a "thank you" email or note. In doing so, the coordinator told me that ds was great to have and a very polite young man. They will have seats for two of the tests he wants to take next year. Relief!  This school district has been so amazing.

Good luck to all of the students that have tests these final two days.

• Like 7

I think I am more nervous that dd. One more day until her first AP!

Seriously, the hardest part about this week has been waking her up earlier each day :lol: She normally does not start working until after 9am. We have to leave at 7:15 tomorrow.

• Like 4

Brag alert. This is the only place I can do this, I don't talk about his accomplishments with anyone IRL.

DS finished his two exams this year: Physics C and English Language. He felt both exams went well. He has now officially finished high school and homeschool. He is accepted into U of Toronto (#1 school in Canada, top 20 in the world) and will start in September. He just turned 16 a couple days ago and will be going into university with 6 APs under his belt. I'm so proud of him. Thank you for letting me brag here.

• Like 17

My son likes AP exams because he gets to sleep in! LOL.

Today and tomorrow he has economics, which should be okay for him, but Latin… Well, he'll be studying Latin almost immediately after he finishes the AP exam to try to place out of his university's foreign language requirement. They want a 5 for Latin and that most likely ain't gonna happen unless he gets hit on the head and some miracle occurs.

• Like 2

I think I am more nervous that dd. One more day until her first AP!

Seriously, the hardest part about this week has been waking her up earlier each day :lol: She normally does not start working until after 9am. We have to leave at 7:15 tomorrow.

She'll be fantastic! How could she not with the teacher she had this year. :D

You crafted your Human Geography class, right?  That is a subject that I have little familiarity with, but may need to soon. Would a history fan enjoy it for their own edification?

• Like 1

Aw, I wish I had found this thread earlier!

Dd took Stats and AmGov this year, so she's done, done, done with AP Exams, forever! 

Two finals at the Community College next week, and she's a high school graduate. Sniff, sniff.

Congratulations to you and your dd!  Jen, is this your last one? :svengo:

:party:

• Like 1

Brag alert. This is the only place I can do this, I don't talk about his accomplishments with anyone IRL.

DS finished his two exams this year: Physics C and English Language. He felt both exams went well. He has now officially finished high school and homeschool. He is accepted into U of Toronto (#1 school in Canada, top 20 in the world) and will start in September. He just turned 16 a couple days ago and will be going into university with 6 APs under his belt. I'm so proud of him. Thank you for letting me brag here.

Your family must be so excited! What will he be studying at U of Toronto?

By all  means, do brag here. It can be tough IRL when kids aren't necessarily on the same path as their peers.

• Like 1

Your family must be so excited! What will he be studying at U of Toronto?

Yes we are very excited since he is our oldest and the first to graduate from our homeschool.

He decided to study biochemistry instead of engineering for undergrad. He is not sure whether he wants to pursue law school, medical school or getting into medical research in grad. school. Too many decisions for such a young age. We are just trying to be supportive in whatever path he wants to take. Thanks for asking!

• Like 5

Congratulations to you and your dd!  Jen, is this your last one? :svengo:

2 down, 2 to go. That's my son and *me* left. I really have to get it together and figure out what the heck I am going to do with my life! Right now I am hitting math hard so I can catch up with him and we can get through some Calc levels, Diff Eq, and Lin Alg together. Lucky for me, he's really into math. I have three years to be ready to hit the ground running in a math teacher cert master's degree...so I need to beg, borrow, and steal 30 math and science credits along the way with him. Hoping to be able to CLEP some of them because I need this to be as close to FREE as possible. Very seriously considering an overnight custodial type position at one of the local unis starting his senior year so I can get free class perks for me and a paycheck to pay for him to go to school. :) Adventures await!

• Like 2

2 down, 2 to go. That's my son and *me* left. I really have to get it together and figure out what the heck I am going to do with my life! Right now I am hitting math hard so I can catch up with him and we can get through some Calc levels, Diff Eq, and Lin Alg together. Lucky for me, he's really into math. I have three years to be ready to hit the ground running in a math teacher cert master's degree...so I need to beg, borrow, and steal 30 math and science credits along the way with him. Hoping to be able to CLEP some of them because I need this to be as close to FREE as possible. Very seriously considering an overnight custodial type position at one of the local unis starting his senior year so I can get free class perks for me and a paycheck to pay for him to go to school. :) Adventures await!

You have my absolute admiration and best wishes on those new adventures.

I have one year left at home and am working on my plans for adulthood now. :tongue_smilie:

• Like 2

Sailor Dude left the house at 11:15am with my car to go take the Macroeconomics test. He just texted me to tell me he is on his way to work.

Wait! You take my car leaving me stranded until 7pm tonight and you can't even tell me how the test went? :svengo: The indecency of it all. Teen guy communication. Blech!

• Like 4

Last AP ever for child #1!!! AP Latin today, after 4 years with Mrs Barr at Lukeion. Great preparation! 

Now if only the colleges could get their act together and give some acceptance letters...

:party: Congratulations!  I hope you hear from the schools soon.

• Like 1

I was a wreck; she was calm :lol:

She said she killed one FRQ (she wrote a practice one on the same topic earlier in the week!), one was a bit tricky, and the third was the topic that I has been saying since last summer would be an FRQ :D

Funny how the nervous mom/calm student thing works. :tongue_smilie:

It's great that she has one AP done her freshman year.

Ds was looking back at his first semester of high school, you know, when he decided to be at the public school. He said most of it was a complete waste of time and he wished he had known what really challenging courses looked like. I think he would have enjoyed the Human Geography class.