Menu

How are the AP testers holding up?

Comp Gov is rarely taught. There was only one school in the ledger in my state this year and I really doubt they teach it vs just maintain a syllabus.

I wasn't able to find a review book at all except for one by Ethel Wood. But this was one of our favorite classes last year. Kids learned a ton. Yesterday ds2 was giving me UK election analysis.

There is one school in our fairly good-sized metropolitan area that teaches the class and I don't have a 100% confirmation that ds can test there next year. We've decided to move forward with the class anyway, because it's perfect for his areas of interest. He's actually taking both government classes so it should be fun.

I am glad to hear that class was a good one. You taught it, right?

My son's high school offers the AP Comp Gov exam. The corresponding class is called AP Political Science. In case anyone would like to know what they use to teach, the two books are

My Poly Sci Lab (Gov't in America -- Individual), Edwards, a Pearson ebook

Intro to Comparative Politics (AP Edition), Kesselman, 97811118344982, Cengage

I want to use Kesselman next year. I've been watching used prices for the brand new 2015 edition.

There is one school in our fairly good-sized metropolitan area that teaches the class and I don't have a 100% confirmation that ds can test there next year. We've decided to move forward with the class anyway, because it's perfect for his areas of interest. He's actually taking both government classes so it should be fun.

I am glad to hear that class was a good one. You taught it, right?

I did make up that course.  We used Almond and Hauss.  Each book had its pluses and minuses.  One of them was incredibly opinionated, and often (imho) just wrong.  [For example, the main author was British and made a comment about how the vast majority of the British public despised and mocked the royal family.  Unfortunately, since we were reading it after the most recent royal wedding and the birth of prince George, it seemed that this was mostly his opinion, not necessarily that of the vast public.  I can only imagine what he's making of today's election results.]

The kids read the chapters in each book on each country.  I picked one book to read the general political theory introductions.  Then they read piles of articles that we pulled out of The Economist and Foreign Affairs and Foreign Policy magazines.  We pretty much saved The Economist for 6 months and collected relevant articles for them to read.

There are also really good briefings on specific country topics on the College Board website.  We used the briefing papers available here: http://apcentral.collegeboard.com/apc/members/courses/teachers_corner/42256.html

• Like 2

You would be fine with a book that is a year or two older. The course description specifies the end date of the course content. I think it was 2010.

The course description was updated, effective fall 2014 for exams May 2015. I cannot find any end date in the course description document https://secure-media.collegeboard.org/digitalServices/pdf/ap/ap-comparative-government-and-politics-course-description.pdf

Ds took the AP Comparative Govt. PAHS class with Julia Reed last year.  He really enjoyed it.  It was the instructor's first year teaching with PAHS, so I think there was a bit of a learning curve for everyone, but with another year under her belt, I bet this is a spectacular class.  Ds really loved the guest speakers that she had brought in.  They were fascinating.  She is well connected due to her background.

He had taken the AP Human Geo the year before this one and he loved both of them.  He said they both really opened his eyes to what is going on in the world.  Now, he wants to major in International Business and minor in French and travel abroad for school.

There was only one school in the district that taught this course.  Luckily, it was the same school that has been so accommodating for all of his other tests.  He told me that when he went into the English Lit test this week, both of the proctors had proctored other tests for him in the past - including the Comp. Gov test.  They both greeted him by name.  He was the only homeschooler taking the test with them. We have been very fortunate to have a school that has been so welcoming to Ds.

• Like 4

The course description was updated, effective fall 2014 for exams May 2015. I cannot find any end date in the course description document https://secure-media.collegeboard.org/digitalServices/pdf/ap/ap-comparative-government-and-politics-course-description.pdf

I may be confusing it with the US Govt course. In any event I think you are fine with a slightly older textbook that you supplement with readings from current journals and sources like The Economist and Wall Street Journal.

We use airline mes to get Wsj and the Economist. But you could pay for a lot of weeks by getting a slightly older text.

The sample textbook list says anything after 2005 meets requirements. I was able to find 2010 editions for less than $10.

• Like 1

If the price doesn't drop by mid-June, I'll be buying the 2012 edition.

We can get WSJ and The Economist v inexpensively---one of the benefits of dh being a CFP :D Dd will also have a NY Times account as part of her English class. We'll borrow Foreign Policy from the library :)

I did make up that course.  We used Almond and Hauss.  Each book had its pluses and minuses.  One of them was incredibly opinionated, and often (imho) just wrong.  [For example, the main author was British and made a comment about how the vast majority of the British public despised and mocked the royal family.  Unfortunately, since we were reading it after the most recent royal wedding and the birth of prince George, it seemed that this was mostly his opinion, not necessarily that of the vast public.  I can only imagine what he's making of today's election results.]

The kids read the chapters in each book on each country.  I picked one book to read the general political theory introductions.  Then they read piles of articles that we pulled out of The Economist and Foreign Affairs and Foreign Policy magazines.  We pretty much saved The Economist for 6 months and collected relevant articles for them to read.

There are also really good briefings on specific country topics on the College Board website.  We used the briefing papers available here: http://apcentral.collegeboard.com/apc/members/courses/teachers_corner/42256.html

If you are ever in the PNW, let me know because I seriously owe you dinner and a good bottle of wine for all the helpful suggestions for history and government studies over the last couple of years. Ds, as of now, has two new magazine subscriptions for publications I didn't even know existed. I am excited to read them myself.

Thank you for the link to the briefing papers. I am currently working on an APUSH syllabus and have tentative plans to work my way through the government courses even though Sailor Dude will take those two through PAHS. I have an insane idea that I might like to teach high school social sciences when the boy heads off to college. The teacher subject test looks like a meshing of the AP tests in history, economics, and government. This whim will probably pass when I am finished with the first syllabi.

• Like 4

I just popped over to this board from where the little kids play; I have a nine year old and a six year old. What was I thinking? You people are speaking a different language. The language of tests and rigor and preparation. It seems like you are from a far off country where I know we will visit one day but am not sure how we'll ever get there.

But really, wow, congratulations for making it this far, good luck on all the tests and thanks for blazing the trail.  

• Like 6

Ds took the AP Comparative Govt. PAHS class with Julia Reed last year.  He really enjoyed it.  It was the instructor's first year teaching with PAHS, so I think there was a bit of a learning curve for everyone, but with another year under her belt, I bet this is a spectacular class.  Ds really loved the guest speakers that she had brought in.  They were fascinating.  She is well connected due to her background.

He had taken the AP Human Geo the year before this one and he loved both of them.  He said they both really opened his eyes to what is going on in the world.  Now, he wants to major in International Business and minor in French and travel abroad for school.

There was only one school in the district that taught this course.  Luckily, it was the same school that has been so accommodating for all of his other tests.  He told me that when he went into the English Lit test this week, both of the proctors had proctored other tests for him in the past - including the Comp. Gov test.  They both greeted him by name.  He was the only homeschooler taking the test with them. We have been very fortunate to have a school that has been so welcoming to Ds.

I am so glad to hear this as ds will be taking both government classes from Ms. Reed this year. We gave up the long-held idea that he would take APUSH from Susan Richman in order to do both government classes, which are his priority. US History with me may or may not be AP depending on work load. We are NOT having a repeat of this year with 3 am bed times.

A welcoming environment probably goes a long way in soothing pre-test jitters.

• Like 2

I just popped over to this board from where the little kids play; I have a nine year old and a six year old. What was I thinking? You people are speaking a different language. The language of tests and rigor and preparation. It seems like you are from a far off country where I know we will visit one day but am not sure how we'll ever get there.

But really, wow, congratulations for making it this far, good luck on all the tests and thanks for blazing the trail.  

And your country of little people seems like just yesterday.  Be careful.  The world of APs, SATs, ACTs, Cleps, Common Aps, and dual enrollments are just around the corner.  

I just spent several days looking through pictures as I put together my son's slide show for his high school graduation in exactly two weeks.  Looking at pictures of those chubby little baby arms - I could almost physically feel them around my neck. Then I turn around and that same (now 6'4") son is putting his arm around me.

It goes fast and I am having a hard time believing that it is already here.  Two days before his graduation, he and his sister are going to be in Fiddler on the Roof.  My dd is Golde and will be singing Sunrise, Sunset with my son standing behind her playing the part of Lazar Wolf.  I have a hard time listening to that song anyway without blubbering.  I am going to be a mess the whole week.

People used to tell me to cherish the time with them when they are little.  It was not always easy when there were overtired children and Cheerios between every cushion.  But, now I know what they meant.  It went faster than I wanted it too.

• Like 11

I am so glad to hear this as ds will be taking both government classes from Ms. Reed this year. We gave up the long-held idea that he would take APUSH from Susan Richman in order to do both government classes, which are his priority. US History with me may or may not be AP depending on work load. We are NOT having a repeat of this year with 3 am bed times.

A welcoming environment probably goes a long way in soothing pre-test jitters.

Ds really did enjoy the Comp Gov class and I bet Sailor Dude will as well.

He also decided against APUSH.  I think he may have been a bit burned out from US History since I made both kids do a chronological study of it throughout their three years of middle school.

Instead, he took a class from Scholars Online that has an interesting thought behind it (he is not quite through yet.) The teacher used two textbooks - one with a very liberal slant and one with a very conservative slant- and then they would analyze both.  He has loved what he has learned in the class.  The grading has been interesting, though.  They have weekly assignments and quizzes here and there, but a lot of the grade comes from three papers.  The instructor's grading of these papers has sometimes been...perplexing.  Otherwise, ds has really enjoyed the class.

• Like 2

If the price doesn't drop by mid-June, I'll be buying the 2012 edition.

We can get WSJ and The Economist v inexpensively---one of the benefits of dh being a CFP :D Dd will also have a NY Times account as part of her English class. We'll borrow Foreign Policy from the library :)

You might try putting a saved search into Abebooks.com. You'll get an email anytime a new copy is listed and you can set all kinds of parameters like max price.

When I was prepping for the govt classes I found that my US govt book price spike at the end of June when kids started getting ready for fall.

• Like 2

The school where my daughter was suppose to take the European History AP today was closed due to an unexpected snow storm. She was very disappointed. She is scheduled to take it on the 20th instead.

Argh. That's frustrating. Last year we had one postponed when much of the county was dealing with wildfires. The school we were to test at was an evac center.

It does go by in a flash. And it is such a challenge to keep ones eyes open to the future while not missing the precious present. Yesterday I was so wiped out that I was reading Henry and Mudge books to my youngest to destress.

As another poster used to say, Enjoy your little people.

• Like 3

General APUSH report from my niece:

Easier than practice tests. The DBQ was an easy topic. One short FRQ identical to summer essay topic! She fumbled a bit on one FRQ but is confident on at least half the points for that one. A few MC were v tricky but overall fine. No one in her class thought it was hard. She thinks the curve will be harsh.

I replied that perhaps their teacher did a good job, and her fellow students were prepared and confident :)

(My sister is relieved. This is the family's first AP.)

• Like 2

We managed to find three prep books for Comp Gov.

One didn't have any practice tests-just a review of the material--from Worldwide Scholar. The other was by Ken Wedding. We also have Ethel Wood. (all from Amazon)

I was surprised by how little was out there.

Similarly I was surprised that I couldn't find AP Euro flashcards. It seems like the sort of course that could use a double set not none at all.

• Like 2

DD#1 only had one AP test this year (English Literature), even though her course-load included another AP-level class we did at home. We're having some regret at not scheduling the test (we weren't sure she'd have sufficient study time due to other commitments this spring... but have heard that the test was pretty easy this year, so... hmmmm...)

This was her first AP year - first test went well and the public school she tested through was SO accomodating. They sent out a list of all the tests and times/dates and it looks like they offer every single test she and her younger sister will be taking next year, so I am excited about that after all the reading on the board about how difficult it is for some boardies to find a testing site!

NOT excited to wait until July for the test score. :/ It's as bad as the PSAT waiting earlier this school year! Yuck!

Dd is SO happy to have it all behind her now. I think next year will be a lot easier - she'll be taking APs in classes that are much more in her wheelhouse. (English Lit is NOT her thing... but it turned out to be her very favorite class this year! Brigid at Blue Tent is amazing!!!)

• Like 3

Just googled them and see that you can do these out of state...Please let us (or PM me) about the results- I'm very interested for others here.

Update on this: my daughter has just now started looking at old FRQs and says they all cover material from 1980 forward, and her class stopped at about. . . 1980. She is strongly considering not even taking the exam. She had a 98 in the class and has taken oodles of APs and has never made anything but a 5. But unless she can learn all of the relevant material by Thursday, she is probably scratching this one. Not a glowing recommendation. She feels good about US Gov.

• Like 2

Update on this: my daughter has just now started looking at old FRQs and says they all cover material from 1980 forward, and her class stopped at about. . . 1980. She is strongly considering not even taking the exam. She had a 98 in the class and has taken oodles of APs and has never made anything but a 5. But unless she can learn all of the relevant material by Thursday, she is probably scratching this one. Not a glowing recommendation. She feels good about US Gov.

If you're talking about Comp Gov I would recommend not scratching. She probably has a good handle on conceptual topics like forms of govt, rent seeking, and sources of legitimacy.

To cover the material she should make sure she reads the country chapters for the six focus countries. She should read the briefing papers I linked to up thread.

If she goes to the link with old FRQs on the teacher side she will find scoring guidelines and Q&A documents for each question that explain what they were looking for.

I think that Comp Gov asks for short answers not essays. So explain, describe, identify, assess are the types of verbs uses. But these were more quick paragraphs on a series of questions than essays.

She may not get a 5, but she may well get a 3 or 4, which is better than a zero.

My $0.02.

• Like 2

She may not get a 5, but she may well get a 3 or 4, which is better than a zero.

I will pass along your recommendations, but I disagree that not taking the exam is the same as a zero.  This child has AP and DE credits out the wazoo.  She can afford to skip one.

:confused1: You were offered solid advice on how to prepare for an exam where it appeared from what you wrote, that your dd was short-changed in the instructional portion. I read Sebastian's post as reassuring that your dd could probably prepare enough even with the short time left that she could get a 3 or 4 at the least. I think the point was, why put all the work into the class and then scratch, when it could probably salvaged somewhat satisfactorily. There was no disparagement of your dd's talents intended.

If the goal is to reduce stress, then say so. If the goal is to obtain a 5 or nothing, then why bother to even bring up the situation?

Why bother to bring up the situation? Because I was asked to report on how well she felt GaVS prepared her for the class. The answer is "abysmally." So abysmally that she is scratching the exam. What am I being reamed out for? I disagree that not taking the exam for which one is unprepared is the equivalent of a zero. There are crazier opinions, you know.

Why bother to bring up the situation? Because I was asked to report on how well she felt GaVS prepared her for the class. The answer is "abysmally." So abysmally that she is scratching the exam. What am I being reamed out for? I disagree that not taking the exam for which one is unprepared is the equivalent of a zero. There are crazier opinions, you know.

I'm glad this is getting discussed as I'd missed the previous "answer" as I was reading on email which doesn't show which part is a quote and didn't see that it was an answer about GaVS! and then I don't go through all the posts....

That's too bad about poor prep by them...Kind of strange - like they're not doing their homework...

Thanks for answering!

• Like 1

Best wishes to all of this weeks test takers.

I just read through the last few days posts and have learned quite a bit for next year's planning. I think dd is going to give the new Art History exam a try. It is the one class she has always wanted to take but has never had time for. I even found a syllabus I like.

The British politics comments have made me chuckle. People here are intensely private about their politics and because of first past the post system forced to vote strategically. I saw one political sign during the run up to the election. One lonely sign, not like the US at all where many yards contain several. Most Brits definitely like the Royal Family which is why Scotland wanted to keep the Royals.

• Like 2

Got it. I thought you were being given a possible option for salvaging the time spent and was puzzled by your response. My apologies.

Well, it is week 2 of AP exams and I think there is currently a contest to see who will break first-me or one of the kids.  As of Monday we are at even money.  Can't wait to see what Tuesday brings  :001_rolleyes:

At least you are still in the running in your contest.

Ds is keeping his stack of AP supplies and paperwork on the kitchen island. This morning I picked up his graphing calculator and set it with his stuff. "Mom, we need a four function calculator only."

:confused1: Do they even still make those? I can't locate the ancient solar one I have somewhere and nothing is open in the area before 8 am. Ds heads to to testing center to take a test that he has busted his backside for and I continue to frantically look for 20 yo calculator. I locate it in drawer that dh and I both had previously looked in and am holding it up to a light to recharge it while dh gets ready to run it to test center.

Dh just texted that the deed is done. I took my cup of coffee, sat down in the armchair and unexpectedly burst into tears. I loathe crying. The three cats are looking at me like I am nuts and the old one finally crawled into my lap. I'd like to think he was comforting me, but I am pretty sure he is cold. :tongue_smilie: Challenges are opportunities unless it involves standardized testing.

• Like 6

My son and his girlfriend are making a big breakfast in the kitchen right now to help them get through the Physics C exams today. Smells good! Maybe they'll have some leftovers.

Good luck to everyone's kids this week!

• Like 2

My kid slept in to recover from competition and the long trip, and now he's studying. US Government tomorrow. Hope he's recovered because we have a terribly long drive to get to the testing site since it's not offered in the tri-county area. It is the last AP we are likely to attempt except physics since our local school district still offers it so we can test easily.

• Like 2

A word about scratching a test - If your student decides not to take a test, you may want to contact the test provider and ask what the return fee is. The school where your student is taking the test will be charged a fee for each returned test. If you wish to have your student test at the same facility the following year, you may wish to offer to pay the return fee to ensure good will.

Our district automatically charges $25 to a student's account if they miss a test. The school in another district where ds opted to not take the Microeconomics test charges $15. We let them know ds would not take that test and paid the return fee when ds went in to bubble the forms.

• Like 2

A word about scratching a test - If your student decides not to take a test, you may want to contact the test provider and ask what the return fee is. The school where your student is taking the test will be charged a fee for each returned test. If you wish to have your student test at the same facility the following year, you may wish to offer to pay the return fee to ensure good will.

Our district automatically charges $25 to a student's account if they miss a test. The school in another district where ds opted to not take the Microeconomics test charges $15. We let them know ds would not take that test and paid the return fee when ds went in to bubble the forms.

Interesting. I didn't know there was a fee. Seems counterproductive when the student could just put C for all MC and leave the frq blank for free.

• Like 1

I'm sorry if my reply above added to AP week stress. That was not my intention. Nor was I trying to equate not taking the exam with failing it.

Only with respect to the benefits gained by having a passing score. From that perspective earning a 1 or 2 is no worse than having no score.

There is some risk that a college would perceive a low score in a way that discounts the value of the year's studies. On the other hand they might consider the lack of score the same way if scores are presented for other exams.

With high scores on previous exams it sounds like your dd is a hard worker with high standards and expectations. It might be encouraging to look at the curve scales on APPass.com to see how much she could get wrong and still pass. http://appass.com/calculators/comparativegov

Or it might be best in the situation to just scrap it and focus on other subjects.

All I was trying to convey above was that there could be value to a 3 or 4 score and that she might be in a position to earn that. Best wishes for the week. Sounds like it was a stressful and frustrating situation. Again apologies if my comment added to the stress.

• Like 3

Interesting. I didn't know there was a fee. Seems counterproductive when the student could just put C for all MC and leave the frq blank for free.

It is interesting as is the range of fees for the test and the return fee. I figured that some districts subsidized the tests. In the middle of the last summer, we received a check that refunded some of our test fees. This year, for our district, the tests are $56.  Now when dh had to register outside the district for his other three tests, one school charged $91 per test and the other charged $56 even though they were in the same district.

If the CB truly charges a return fee, then why the $10 disparity in return fees between districts? I would assume the fee charged by the CB would be the same for all schools.

I just did a little research and this was on the CB site:

Exam Fees and Reductions: 2015

So it would appear that our district is penalizing students for the returned exams.

I'm sorry if my reply above added to AP week stress. That was not my intention. Nor was I trying to equate not taking the exam with failing it.

Only with respect to the benefits gained by having a passing score. From that perspective earning a 1 or 2 is no worse than having no score.

There is some risk that a college would perceive a low score in a way that discounts the value of the year's studies. On the other hand they might consider the lack of score the same way if scores are presented for other exams.

With high scores on previous exams it sounds like your dd is a hard worker with high standards and expectations. It might be encouraging to look at the curve scales on APPass.com to see how much she could get wrong and still pass. http://appass.com/calculators/comparativegov

Or it might be best in the situation to just scrap it and focus on other subjects.

All I was trying to convey above was that there could be value to a 3 or 4 score and that she might be in a position to earn that. Best wishes for the week. Sounds like it was a stressful and frustrating situation. Again apologies if my comment added to the stress.

I'm not sure why you think your reply caused me stress.  I disagreed with your equating no-showing an exam with failing it (scoring a "0"), which is actually what you said, but that hardly puts me on the brink of emotional collapse.  This would have been my daughter's eleventh AP exam, and this is her fifth AP testing season.  If she thinks she's not prepared, she's not prepared.  I am confident that she knows a lot more about the APs than I or anyone else on this board, so I am not even going to try to talk her out of it.

• Like 1

Just found this thread.. Eldest child is doing APs for the last year! And then I start all over again with child #2

This year, Calculus AB, Biology and Latin. Two down, one to go.

General attitude so far is "I'm doing fine, everyone else is complaining about how hard the exams are. I don't find them that hard".

So there's hope!
(in previous years, child#1 has got a 4 in Chemistry, a misplaced exam in Computer Science, and a 5 in Physics B).

• Like 1

Sailor Dude just rolled in from AP Biology. The general consensus on break was that the actual exam was easier than the AP teacher's unit exams, which is what we had heard. Ds said that there were no surprises for him, but the one problem was that he had not practiced the timing on the LAQs and the SAQs like he had for his other AP exams and ran out of time. This was frustrating as he knew the material. It's all a learning experience.

I hope everyone else's testing is going well.

• Like 1

DS wrote the Physics C exam today, and he felt it went well. One more to go: English Language on Wednesday. This is his third and last year of writing the AP exams. He had four 5s in the previous years, hopefully he will do just as well this year.

• Like 4

Good luck to everyone this week as well. We are trying to get over the "four function" calculator panic this morning before AP Biology.

The *four function* calculator caused a one-hour delay for the bio exam at our high school. The proctors had to call College Board to check which calculators exactly were okay. That delay then caused a one-hour delay for the physics c exams. My son complained a great deal about this when he came home.

The *four function* calculator caused a one-hour delay for the bio exam at our high school. The proctors had to call College Board to check which calculators exactly were okay. That delay then caused a one-hour delay for the physics c exams. My son complained a great deal about this when he came home.

So what is the answer?  Do they need to be the really basic calculators with nothing but +-*/  or are general scientific calculators ok.