Menu

Who else tests for the heck of it?

My state doesn't require submission of anything at all, ever.  But I test yearly just as a measure of our year for my sake.  I just got an email saying the kids' PASS tests have been shipped.  We loved using this testing last year and I can't wait for it to come in next week.  This year has been a 'different' year as far as the AMOUNT we've covered, however I do feel like our direction and depth is really solid.  My kids always test pretty high so I"m hoping it rounds out the big picture for how well we've all done this year..me included as the teacher! lol 

Anyway, that email got me wondering how many test when they aren't required to, and what do you use?

• Like 1

We are not required to test but we do anyways. I use the Let's Go Learn $20 DORA(reading) and ADAM(math) test. My oldest did the math one in the fall(Oct) as a bench mark and then took both in April. It's done on the computer. I needed the confirmation that he was learning his math. People in my coop were constantly telling me there is no way he can learn those concepts at his young age and he probably has tons of holes. I have confidence that we are on the right track and I'm a better teacher with these results in my hand. And no I don't tell anyone, except family, the results. I also have in-laws that are not supportive of our hsing and say things like "when are you going to stop screwing around with his education". The results shut my MIL up.

We will continue to use this test in the spring till he's maxed them out. The reading test will probably not be of much use after next spring. The math, I imagine, we will be done with in two more years. I like them as records in case of a future problem. I only keep the results and one binder of work for each two year span.

• Like 5

This might be a dumb question. Can you proctor tests for your own kid and get scores that can be reported to the school district? I grew up in PA and my mom took us to the traveling homeschool test franchise (anyone who lived in PA in the 90s knows what I'm talking about) and I guess I always assumed you had to have some sort of certified proctors.

I like the idea of doing a bench mark test in the fall and then one in the spring. Where can I go to find more information about what tests to give?

No testing required here. We did the Iowa Basic with our homeschool group, with one mom arranging for the testing at a local church building, and several moms volunteering to proctor. The overseeing mom has everyone email in their details by a certain date, and then batch-orders through BJU or other provider, who also does the grading. Families provide a SASE to the mom in charge who sends out everyone's results when they are mailed to her. The test is spread over 3 consecutive mornings, and you just drop off your students. That happens once a year at the end of April. It seems to me that the test was something like $45/student. It was worth it to me.

Since most of DSs' homeschool friends were doing it, I think that helped them not mind it -- something they were all having to "endure" ;) together. We didn't do any other school on those days, and scheduled something fun to do those afternoons -- go out for ice cream, go to a movie, have some friends over, etc. So that helped to make testing kind of a fun and different thing to do.

We tested so DSs could get used to formal tests and learn test-taking strategies, but mostly for me to see if I had inadvertently left any gaps in any areas. It was helpful to test 4 years in a row, as that revealed progress over time. And, I could see it confirming the catching up that DS#2 was doing as he got older and was learning how to overcome his mild LDs.

Since student abilities are usually all over the place up through 3rd grade, we didn't start testing until 4th for DS#1, and not until 5th for DS#2 (mild LDs). For both of them, for the first 2 years we went through a test prep booklet for the months leading up to the test as practice.

After 8th grade, we set aside the standardized tests and focused on the PSAT (10th/11th grades), and then the SAT and ACT (11th/12th grades).

• Like 1

This might be a dumb question. Can you proctor tests for your own kid and get scores that can be reported to the school district? I grew up in PA and my mom took us to the traveling homeschool test franchise (anyone who lived in PA in the 90s knows what I'm talking about) and I guess I always assumed you had to have some sort of certified proctors.

I like the idea of doing a bench mark test in the fall and then one in the spring. Where can I go to find more information about what tests to give?

We use Seton Testing.

You can probably do what you're suggesting but it will depend on your state's regulations.

• Like 1

Testing is required here, but even if it weren't, I'd do it anyway.  I think it is important for kids to get used to testing and I think there is some value to seeing what the results are year to year.

• Like 3

We're not required to test, but this past spring I gave 11 yo DD the online CAT test and I'm SO glad we did.  It gave me a ton of information.  It highlighted that for reading, her INPUT (the act of reading, comprehension) is very good, but her OUTPUT is where she struggles.  She's also a good THINKER in math (problem solving), but just needs more instruction in specific math skills (e.g. the long division algorithm). 

• Like 1

No testing required in our state, thankfully. We test starting around 4th grade & only every other year.

So, dd#1 took the ITBS in 4th, 6th, & 8th.

DD#2 took the ITBS in 4th & 6th.

DD#3 just took the 4th grade ITBS even though she's really only 3rd grade-ish.

It is interesting to see how they do -- mostly confirming what we already know, where they surprise us, where there has been growth (or not), and where we need to focus extra attention. When we've had surprises, they generally were positive things like how well one of our kids was doing with reading comprehension/vocabulary (vs. where a sibling had been at the same grade level).

One year, I told DH the big picture results over the phone for one of the kids. He was orally patting me on the back. Then, I told him the other kid's results & asked if I was fired.  :lol:

Like Lori D, we plan to switch over to the ACT/PSAT in 10th & go from there. I think there is something to be said for having that experience of low-pressure standardized testing before you hit the ACT/SATs.

• Like 2

We have no requirements but we test every other year and have since we started homeschooling.  We start in 4th and 6th with the Stanford 10, and then move to the Explore and ACT.

Oldest DS (4th) did lousy this year so he will have to test again next year so he gets in the habit of putting forth his best effort.  I think testing is a skill like anything else.

• Like 2

This is the first year I'm having DS take a test. He'll be doing the Stanford 10, primarily so he can get used to the format and practice test taking skills. I can't imagine it will tell us anything we don't already know, but next year he will probably start taking the SAT and I think it's best for him to not go in cold (having never officially taken one).

Eta: I guess he isn't doing it for the heck of it, though. It's definitely prep for the SATs which he'll need if he decides to dual enroll or shadow classes at the liberal arts college in the next couple of years. This year will give him his first exposure, then he'll have one or two tries at the SAT before it potentially matters.

• Like 1

Every state is different.  In my state, testing is an option, but the test must be administered by a certified teacher.   I do know some friends who are certified teachers who administer tests to their own children.   

I used to do portfolio evaluations in lieu of testing, but since my kids have gotten to upper elementary/middle school ages, I started standardized testing.   The test results confirmed what I already knew about their strengths and weaknesses, and frankly it was an easier option than putting together a portfolio.  I told my kids the first year that honestly, I just wanted them to have the experience of testing for nothing other than the experience.

If I lived in a state which required no testing or annual evaluation of any kind, I would probably continue to do a standardized test each year at my kids' ages.   I plan to have my rising 8th grader take the PSAT this year, for no other reason than practice.   

• Like 1

We are required to do some sort of evaluation each year, but not necessarily testing. I have been using the Stanford test for the last several years with my kids. I prefer testing to having to put together a portfolio and finding a teacher to evaluate it.  I've realized that the tests don't tell me anything that I don't already know, but it is nice to have a 3rd party point out strengths and weaknesses that confirm my hunches.

We also test though not required. I wanted some support to know how DS does. We used IOWA. However, with 2e it's unlikely for us to find a good test to really tell me useful results unless I get an achievement test on him through a psych. The results of the Iowa told me nothing. In a few years even if we could do explore or other gifted testing it would have to be accommodated and I'm not sure if it would be helpful.

I don't have a state requirement but I do have a charter school requirement for our allotment BUT if some new state requirements go into place I will be opting out of state testing and testing on my own. I do believe it is a valuable skill and worth practicing at least once a year.

ACT starting in 7th

it never occurred to me to do this. I'm curious about this option, but have no idea where to start looking. Do you administer the test at home? Online? Through a local school?

We test to pacify my dad and my in-laws. It makes them feel better about my boys not being in school.

it never occurred to me to do this. I'm curious about this option, but have no idea where to start looking. Do you administer the test at home? Online? Through a local school?

You register your child online if your child is at least 13, else you mail in. Your child take the ACT at a testing center which is usually a school or college :)

http://www.actstudent.org/regist/

• Like 2

Do you administer the test at home? Online? Through a local school?

Note: The ACT and SAT tests are not designed to test grade level performance of students, which is what the Standford, CAT, Iowa, and other standardized tests do. The ACT and SAT tests are primarily tests for determining college readiness, so the material is mostly 11th/12th level and early college level. ACT and SAT scores are used by colleges for the admission process.

The ACT and SAT tests are not administered online, nor are they administered at home by a parent. The ACT and SAT tests may only be administered by approved test supervisors and proctors at a physical location, all having to meet specific requirements.

The process for taking the ACT or SAT:

1. register and pay online (ACT, or SAT)

(note: you will also need to upload a photo of the student that meets requirements: ACT, or, SAT)

(the registration process includes a lengthy series of questions to match the student with colleges to receive college info in the mail; you can skip these questions if desired)

2. at the time of registration, select the date and location you want

(ACT dates -- offered one Saturday a month in: Sept, Oct, Dec, Feb, Apr, and Jun)

(SAT dates -- offered one Saturday a month in: Oct, Nov, Dec, Jan, Mar, May, and Jun)

(find an ACT location, or, SAT location)

(register 6-8 weeks or more in advance to ensure space at the location of your choice)

3. prep/practice in advance of testing

(prep for ACT, or, SAT)

4. what to bring on test day

(test day info for ACT, or, SAT)

5. use the homeschool high school code to ensure test results are sent to you

(ACT homeschool code = 969999)

(SAT homeschool code (CEEB) = 970000)

• Like 3

My girls did the Iowa testing at home with me when they were k and 2nd grade. Then we did it again when they were 3rd and 5th grade, and included little brother his k year.

We had the girls tested again this year through a private school, at ages 10 and 12. (5th and 7 th grades) we didn't test brother.

The first two times were done in Arizona and the last done in California . Neither state requires it. It is nice to know where they stand, though. I don't have a plan on when, where, and what kind of testing is done. It is just when I feel like it. Hmm, looks like brother needs to be tested soon.

Note: The ACT and SAT tests are not designed to test grade level performance of students, which is what the Standford, CAT, Iowa, and other standardized tests do. The ACT and SAT tests are primarily tests for determining college readiness, so the material is mostly 11th/12th level and early college level. ACT and SAT scores are used by colleges for the admission process.

Thank you. The child that I may consider this for consistently hits the ceiling on her grade-level Stanford (except in math). Since testing hasn't been telling me much (other than the fact that she's a bright child who hates math) it occurred to me that taking ACT tests as practice for a couple years in high school might be beneficial before it comes to THE test that determines her college entrance scores.

Does anyone have any input on whether or not they found it beneficial to take ACT/SAT tests before 11th grade? I'm curious to hear your experiences.

OP, sorry if I'm hijacking your thread!

I proctored my own son last year. I am already a certified tester with BJU--they sent the test to me and I just mailed it back. BJU's only requirement to be a proctor was to have a Bachelor's degree and watch their training video. I'd accidentally requested the wrong grade level for our co-op testing, so I ended up getting another copy of the test for him to take at home. I wouldn't recommend proctoring your own kid if you can avoid it. It was a very painful process for me to pretend not to be watching him, then steal a glance at his booklet and see that he was doing things wrong, without being able to help.

I know there are companies that administer ITBS or Stanford online (Abeka and/or BJU? It's been a couple years since I looked). If I didn't have the co-op to test with, I would likely hunt out the online tests.

Does anyone have any input on whether or not they found it beneficial to take ACT/SAT tests before 11th grade? I'm curious to hear your experiences.

My dd#1 took the ACT at the end of last year for the experience. She's not a gifted/talented youth, so we weren't doing it for any sort of talent identification program. I'll be honest that when I saw her score, I was 1) relieved that this homeschooling thing hasn't been a complete flop (and I didn't 'break' her education through my ineptitude) and 2) amazed at the (low) average ACT score of junior/seniors in high school (based on the score my much younger average child received).

Other takeaways:  The test doesn't have near the mystical qualities for her that it did. She knows what it was like now -- especially going in completely cold. I know we want to do test prep, probably starting her sophomore year, and I know what areas she has big room for improvement in. She has over the minimum test scores that qualify her to take dual enrollment courses at the local college (if we can convince them to allow homeschoolers to do so, which hasn't happened yet). It was worth it at our house.

• Like 2

My boys haven't taken them but they will take the ACT/SAT in 6th or 7th to firstly see what are the weak areas and secondly see if they qualify for CTY JHU SET with their SAT scores. Since scores aren't automatically kept before high school, having bad scores in ACT/SAT won't hurt them for college app in the future.

Link to SET

http://cty.jhu.edu/set/eligibility/

• Like 1

Since scores aren't automatically kept before high school, having bad scores in ACT/SAT won't hurt them for college app in the future.

I believe this is true for the SAT, but I'm not sure it is true for the ACT. However, the ACT allows you to send specific test date results to colleges & to delete test date records with a written letter. I couldn't find the verbage on the website, but I saw someone mention that the ACT doesn't allow you to send pre-9th grade scores to a school. (??)

Regardless, I'd assume colleges can read the dates on score reports and know what year the earlier ACT was taken. Assuming improvement, I doubt earlier tests will matter to them.

• Like 2

I'll be honest that when I saw her score, I was 1) relieved that this homeschooling thing hasn't been a complete flop (and I didn't 'break' her education through my ineptitude) 

:lol: This is the main reason I test! DS9 did poorly on his 3rd grade Stanford. I'd been considering putting him a local school, and they insisted he had to repeat 3rd grade, based on his test scores. We kept him home and it was such a relief to see his scores improve this year! Even my math-hater dd scored slightly above-average in math this year. Much needed confirmation for me that I haven't ruined their education!

• Like 1

My state (Florida) requires one evaluation per year, and standardized testing is one of the options; another commonly chosen option is a portfolio eval.  I like the idea of having multiple external measures of how my kid's doing, so I'm choosing to have a state certified teacher do a portfolio eval and send in a letter to the district confirming that my child is progressing, and then I'm also doing standardized testing on my own.  I just went through BJU and proctored the test myself, which only requires a bachelor's degree, as someone else mentioned upthread.  I gave DD the Iowa test this year and will probably stick with that one until I need to change to something else.