Menu

Kathy, MBM, others? Math Camp, Promys, Math Scholarships experience

quark

Asking for details about high school level math camps and opportunities and not necessarily math competitions.

Would love any and all feedback, any details you can share would be great as I am a complete newbie to helping DS plan for math summer camps.

DS will be of age for Math Camp in 2016 but I am not sure about other camps out there.

I understand calculus is not a prereq for MC but he will have two college semesters of it as well as a semester of multivariable calculus and another semester of something beyond mv calc if that is of any useful info. I'm mentioning this only to demonstrate his love of math (fully self propelled and self-seeking of proof-based math problems). The qualifying quiz seems right up his alley in terms of interest (but he has not attempted it yet).

I think what has been most on my mind about math summer camps and applying for one is that he is NOT a competing sort of kid. He can be competitive if time is not required, but will not like or do well in anything that is timed/for speed and resists contests both from a philosophical point of view and due to lack of experience I guess. I know that for most it's about community, not competing...but the opportunity for community aspect does not overpower his dislike of competing if that makes sense. I think I also worry about him sticking out as one of the few non-competitive kids in environments like these.

• Like 1

You can avoid competition math at Mathcamp if it's not your thing!! I would say that the focus was on community and learning MUCH more than contests. Most all of the kids embrace that spirit. Even the kids who are IMO medalists at camp (and there usually are some) tend not to be focused on competition prep during their summers.

Once a week there's team problem solving (you were allowed to choose between playing on a serious or a not-so-serious team or you could opt out altogether) & there are fun problem solving team relays on Saturday afternoons...not competitive in spirit, but tons of fun. I'm not aware of any individually oriented contests at camp.

Everything at MC is a choice; nothing is compulsory! And it's a very accepting sort of place.

I wrote a camp review  back when my kids' experiences were fresh in my mind (and a little bit more here about some other camps, too).

AoPS hosted a recent MathJam on MC that might be of interest, too.

The application quiz is a very important part of the application for MC, so be sure to budget a good bit of time for it!

I still think sending my kids to camp was one of the best decisions we made! Some of those friendships really did last through the years. :)

• Like 2

I will write more later about Hampshire but I'm in the middle of putting in a huge garden right now! To sum it up, it was a great experience for my son and I'd highly recommend it for anyone who enjoys math.

• Like 1

My son is going to his third summer at Math Camp. He is totally phobic of competitions (in general). Like Kathy says all the competitions are optional and if you do elect to participate they have different designations (can't remember the exact names...hard core and mellow....something like that). I believe last year my son actually participated in one of the competitive games, very unlike him but indicative of how easy going and flexible the camp is. The emphasis is on real math and lots of awesome math geek fun.

Math Camp Rules! I cannot sing it's praises enough.

• Like 3