Menu

Horizons, Math Mammoth or Mathematical Reasoning????

KnSmith6

I am looking for a new math curriculum for next year for my little guy.  This year we did Saxon and while I liked some of the teaching approaches, it was SO boring for him.  He is VERY math minded, so most days we did two or three lessons and will have finished Saxon 1 and 2 by the end of this year.  Despite how much he has learned, he just didn't enjoy math like he did before we started 'formal curriculum'.  I want him to enjoy math again and I think for him that means more color. 

I am looking at both Horizons and Math Mammoth  and am hoping for some tips from anyone who has used either or both.  Curious about how Horizons is taught, are there good explanations?  I have been able to look at a friend's Math Mammoth and like the approach and teaching style, but worry that it may not be as 'fun' for him.  After how BORED he was this year, it really is a priority for him to enjoy math again, but not at the expensive of choosing a program that won't give him a solid foundation in math.   ANY input is appreciated....especially since Horizon's sale ends today ;)

One other option I have considered is using MM and Mathematical Reasoning, so he would have the fun colorful workbook to do as well.

THANK YOU!!!!!!! 

I've been thrilled with the progress we've had with Horizons. You can tell it was written by someone who enjoys math, and the spiral concepts are built stealthily. My Horizons kids are rock solid in their facts, understand what they're doing, and enjoy math. It's thorough and includes a wide variety of concepts, which keeps it more interesting.

If you choose to use Horizons make sure you use the placement tests, which are easily found on the Sonlight website.

• Like 2

thank you all so much for your input!!!!!  I truly appreciate it!  We did an Alternative Learning Experience through our state this year for K, so this is the first time I am 'going it alone' and trying to decide on all my curriculum.  I requested a few of the Life of Fred books from our library so definitely excited to see if those might be a fun supplement. 

I have checked out Beast Academy and don't think we are quite there yet, but maybe in a few years!  I think I might just go with Horizons for next year since that is the one he is most inclined to try. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I always like to hear what people who have asked questions about curriculum end up doing and how they feel about their decision, SO:
Our horizons 2 arrived last week and I only took a quick peak at it, but I think he is going to LOVE it.  Once we actually start we shall see how I feel about it teaching wise, content, etc, but I think he is going to be very happy with it!

• Like 1

Of the three, Horizons would be my pick. MM can be tedious and M. Reasoning jumps around too much - some parts incredibly easy and some very hard. We have used so many math programs in the past. We had been using BJU - it was excellent but a bit "light."  We are transitioning to Horizons for grades 5 &6.